New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Photo Critique | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2016 · Walk in Peaceful Places

Photo Scout
• •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Walk in Peaceful Places

I'm trying to work with this shot to see if it has potential. I'm just trying to get all the lighting and colors and contrast right and looking for opinions. Thank you

http://nickephotography.weebly.com/uploads/5/2/6/6/52662617/nkn-8790_orig.jpg

Sep 19, 2016 at 10:41 PM
Camperjim
• • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Walk in Peaceful Places

The lighting, colors, contrast look good to me. I prefer the way the image would look with a crop to remove the upper portion including the sunburst.

Sep 20, 2016 at 06:43 AM
beavens
• • • • • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Walk in Peaceful Places

Camperjim wrote:
The lighting, colors, contrast look good to me. I prefer the way the image would look with a crop to remove the upper portion including the sunburst.

+1. Or even crop right up to the rays so you don't have the giant white spot pulling the viewer's eye.

Cheers!

Jeff

Sep 20, 2016 at 07:34 AM
eeneryma
• • • • • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Walk in Peaceful Places

I agree with Jim and Jeff that the sun, due to it's brightness, is a magnet for your eye and attention.
And it's uncomfortable to look at. On the other hand, I feel it's integral to your story, the way I interpret it, that even in the darkest of forests the "sun" is always there on your journey, at times peeking through the trees. So perhaps darken it slightly to reduce the harshness of it.

Steve

Sep 20, 2016 at 07:58 AM
beavens
• • • • • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Walk in Peaceful Places

This is what I had in mind.

Sep 20, 2016 at 09:00 AM
Camperjim
• • • • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Walk in Peaceful Places

I think the sun in the forest story is still there with sun hitting the road. Everyone has preferences. To me the sunburst is a one horse show I got tired of years ago. I would crop it out entirely.

Sep 20, 2016 at 09:49 AM
ben egbert
• • • • • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · Walk in Peaceful Places

Camperjim wrote:
I think the sun in the forest story is still there with sun hitting the road. Everyone has preferences. To me the sunburst is a one horse show I got tired of years ago. I would crop it out entirely.

Like ultra slow water, milky ways with a guy pointing a flashlight at it, or all the other photo cliche's out there. When I watch TV and they use selective focus to show me who's speaking, it raises my steam because it says, you are too dumb to follow the story without this help.

But this gets back to another point, why is certain parts of the scene more important than others?Why do you need to direct somebody's eye? The whole scene is the story, and teh viewer gets to choose any or all of it.

By the way, I accept the original image as is. It's well done.

Sep 20, 2016 at 10:06 AM
Photo Scout
• •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · Walk in Peaceful Places

Thanks to all for the helpful suggestions. I certainly don't blame anyone for not liking sunbursts. I myself am not a big fan of them, though as the sun was already more or less in my picture I thought it was worth a try this time. As per the suggestions, I have tried a version eliminating the sunburst. I brightened the sun light on the leaves in exchange.

https://52662617-958038754445319588.preview.editmysite.com/uploads/5/2/6/6/52662617/nkn-8790-3_orig.jpg

Sep 20, 2016 at 10:08 AM
Rick Joyce
• • • • • •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · Walk in Peaceful Places

I find this photo pleasing in its allegorical appeal as a lone figure approaches a vanishing point along a narrow road through brightly sunlit trees past what may be a symbolic sunburst.

Where the road leads and how far and to where is left to our interpretation.

Sep 20, 2016 at 10:58 AM
lighthound
• • • • • •
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · Walk in Peaceful Places

I like your edit Nick. I see you made it more symmetrical as well which I'm always a sucker for.

Dave

Sep 20, 2016 at 11:19 AM
Camperjim
• • • • •
p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · Walk in Peaceful Places

I also prefer the last edit without the sunburst.

Sep 20, 2016 at 03:51 PM
Photo Scout
• •
p.1 #12 · p.1 #12 · Walk in Peaceful Places

Thanks all. I think you've helped me improve the picture. There may always be varying opinions but I'm happy with the changes for the most part.

Sep 21, 2016 at 10:12 PM

FM Forums | Photo Critique | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.