New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | City, Street & Architecture | Join Upload & Sell

2       end

Archive 2016 · Laurel Canyon/Hollywood Hills House

Peter Figen
• • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Laurel Canyon/Hollywood Hills House

Shot this a couple of weeks ago for an interior design client. It was really easy to get lost on the way up off of Laurel Canyon and the driveway was the steepest one I've ever gone up. Would have used low-range but the roads were dry.

Main house with pool and full moon

Guest house

Living Room and Kitchen

Fireplace at dusk

A Frame

Sep 19, 2016 at 09:29 PM
Peter Figen
• • • • •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Laurel Canyon/Hollywood Hills House

file limit i guess

Ktichen

Sep 19, 2016 at 09:36 PM
cwebster
• • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Laurel Canyon/Hollywood Hills House

Nice work, thanks for sharing.

Sep 20, 2016 at 04:51 PM
dmacmillan
• • • • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Laurel Canyon/Hollywood Hills House

Gorgeous work! Your client (who is excellent) should be ecstatic.

Sep 20, 2016 at 05:03 PM
Peter Figen
• • • • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Laurel Canyon/Hollywood Hills House

Thanks guys. She IS happy, BUT, I just replaced the driveway with some fairly new pavement from Playa Vista shot this afternoon. It's amazing what bothers some people and not others. It never ends, but at least we can do this now where we either couldn't or didn't when film was involved.

Sep 20, 2016 at 07:28 PM
dmacmillan
• • • • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Laurel Canyon/Hollywood Hills House

I don't understand this forum. Excellent work like this gets a relatively small number of looks and not many responses, while haphazard photos of signs get twice as many responses.

Sep 21, 2016 at 01:26 PM
Kenj8246
• • • • • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · Laurel Canyon/Hollywood Hills House

Peter, is this property cantilevered out over a slope? I know you guys get used to that but I'd constantly be living in fear of 'the big one'. Really, I guess it's no different from having a nice place on the gulf coast.

Wonderful shots. How did you handle keeping the verticals so nice and straight?

Kenny

Sep 21, 2016 at 01:35 PM
Peter Figen
• • • • •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · Laurel Canyon/Hollywood Hills House

Doug. You have a discerning eye, but we both know that. I just say - whatever... Why does a hack musician get a high profile gig?

Kenny - That property is at the very top of a long thin ridge with a steep dropoff out the living room window. I'm pretty sure that everything is anchored in bedrock and most of those homes up there have been through multiple quakes including the largest most recent Northridge '94 without much issue or damage. The weird thing is that you can never predict where the most damage is going to be. In that 94 quake, while there WAS a lot of damage in Northridge where the epicenter was, there was also a lot in Santa Monica as well, where I personally saw complete sides of apartment complexes come off leaving them looking like giant doll houses, and then leaving my studio in Venice at the time absolutely untouched save for a couple rolls of seamless falling over.

Most of these were shot with Canon tilt-shift lenses, so you level the camera out and shift to frame your shot. The one from the second floor looking through the A frame was with the 11-24mm zoom at 12mm, but I was able to shoot with the camera exactly level - or at least as close as I could, then fine tune in post. Actually, even when shooting carefully with the tilt-shift lenses, you still have to tweak them slightly to get them perfect, and then sometimes, like with the kitchen shot, you have to correct different areas of the image separately - y'know - some old houses are just not that straight anymore - mostly due to those damned earthquakes. But at least they're still standing.

Sep 21, 2016 at 02:03 PM
airfrogusmc
• • • • • •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · Laurel Canyon/Hollywood Hills House

dmacmillan wrote:
I don't understand this forum. Excellent work like this gets a relatively small number of looks and not many responses, while haphazard photos of signs get twice as many responses.

Yes Doug I agree. This is excellent work. Great control of perspective and shadow/highlights. Even detail in the moon. Great job Peter and the client should be thrilled.

Edited on Sep 21, 2016 at 08:07 PM · View previous versions

Sep 21, 2016 at 03:12 PM
Fast6
• • •
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · Laurel Canyon/Hollywood Hills House

Peter, great work. Staging, composition, lighting (saw in the other thread that only the kitchen was lit, and the others were blended), correction, and processing.

I notice staging differences from frame to frame

Ten thumbs up. Would love to see threads like this get more action as dmacmillan notes.

Sep 21, 2016 at 04:52 PM
Peter Figen
• • • • •
p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · Laurel Canyon/Hollywood Hills House

After I brought in the paving crew...

Sep 21, 2016 at 07:05 PM
film_4ever
• • •
p.1 #12 · p.1 #12 · Laurel Canyon/Hollywood Hills House

Gee,... if that's the guest house, I'd sure like to see the main house.

Ahh,.. the life of the rich and famous in the Santa Monica mountains.

Beautiful images.

Sep 22, 2016 at 10:18 AM
Rajan Parrikar
• • • • •
p.1 #13 · p.1 #13 · Laurel Canyon/Hollywood Hills House

Excellent work, Peter.

Sep 22, 2016 at 12:02 PM
CGrindahl
• • • • • •
p.1 #14 · p.1 #14 · Laurel Canyon/Hollywood Hills House

dmacmillan wrote:

I stumbled on this thread after opening this forum. I was curious about Mustang Air to Air. As the person who has been shepherding a single thread for six plus years that now has over 118,000 posts, I'm of the opinion it is shared interest in a subject rather than the excellence of what is on offer, that motivates people to comment on a thread. I happened to start a conversation on a topic that resonates with a great many people from around the world who simply won't stop posting photos or chatting with one another both about what is being presented and how it is being captured. Yes, it is on a gear forum and the focus is on a category of lenses... and the conversation keeps going.

I opened this thread because I spent some time in architecture school and I'm always curious about interesting buildings. What I found was an outstanding collection of photos skillfully taken and presented of an interesting building. I enjoyed the experience, but I understand such things will not interest everyone... thus the limited shelf life of a thread like this. As they say, different strokes for different folks.

Excellent work Peter. At another time in my life I could imagine owning an EF 17 f/2.8 tilt shift lens and playing in this field because I love well done architecture.

Sep 22, 2016 at 01:23 PM
boingyman
• • •
p.1 #15 · p.1 #15 · Laurel Canyon/Hollywood Hills House

Nice job and beautiful home. Wouldn't mind one of those up on the hills in the bay area!

Sep 22, 2016 at 05:55 PM
DaleBerlin
• • • •
p.1 #16 · p.1 #16 · Laurel Canyon/Hollywood Hills House

You did a beautiful job on these, and what a fascinating home. The door into the main house from the pool is very cool. Wonderful architecture.

Nov 03, 2016 at 02:33 PM
Fred Amico
• • • • •
p.1 #17 · p.1 #17 · Laurel Canyon/Hollywood Hills House

Peter Figen wrote:
After I brought in the paving crew...

The "paving crew" did a very nice job.

Nov 04, 2016 at 04:59 PM
Peter Figen
• • • • •
p.1 #18 · p.1 #18 · Laurel Canyon/Hollywood Hills House

Fred - It's either the paving crew or the wrecking crew in Hollywood. Thanks. It was just a matter of finding relatively fresh asphalt and shooting it in the shade with the same lens at the same distance, more or less, and because at that distance, you really don't see how the light coming from the house draws the granularity of the pavement, it was pretty easy to "light" the new pavement to match the original without going to the hassle of creating bump maps.

Nov 04, 2016 at 05:33 PM
nolaguy
• • • •
p.1 #19 · p.1 #19 · Laurel Canyon/Hollywood Hills House

Peter, I hadn't seen this thread... I'm thankful I caught your name as most recent poster. What a masterful set of images. Brilliant work buddy.

You should be a photographer. No. Seriously. You take great pictures. You must have a really good camera.

Nov 05, 2016 at 12:35 PM
Peter Figen
• • • • •
p.1 #20 · p.1 #20 · Laurel Canyon/Hollywood Hills House

You're right Chuck. I have a good camera, but really shitty lenses.

Nov 05, 2016 at 01:46 PM
       2       end

FM Forums | City, Street & Architecture | Join Upload & Sell

2       end

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.