FM Forum Rules
Nature & Wildlife Posting Guidelines

FM Forums | Nature & Wildlife | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2016 · CA ducks in flight

mrpalaviccini
• •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · CA ducks in flight

As I reflect back on some of my favorite times with my long lens, I remembered the fun that I had on a three day trip to CA. We went from La Jolla coastline (pics to come in a different thread) to San Elijo Lagoon and Bolsa Chica. During that trip I was able to work on my flight photography quite a bit.

I reinforced some key concepts that I still use (when I get the chance to go out and shoot) ...
1) handholding is the best way (for me) to get consistently sharp in-flight shots.
2) I need to work out more to handhold for long periods of time!
3) Fast shutter speed over low ISO - I can remove noise in processing, but I can't remove blur.

Enjoy! Feedback and critiques welcome.

Cinnamon Teal Landing

Green-winged Teal in flight

Cinnamon Teal Banking

Gadwall, wings down

Female Northern Shoveler in flight

Sep 19, 2016 at 09:23 PM
Photo Scout
• •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · CA ducks in flight

These are near perfect and beeeeeautiful shots I'd say your shutter speed was quite adequate in most of them

Sep 19, 2016 at 10:02 PM
birdied
• • • • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · CA ducks in flight

These are real beauties !!! I love 2,3 and 4 with those glorious backgrounds. Excellent set, so well done.

Birdie

Sep 19, 2016 at 10:03 PM
mikedec
• • • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · CA ducks in flight

Outstanding flight series, very well done.

Sep 19, 2016 at 11:12 PM
KirkB
• • • • • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · CA ducks in flight

Excellent set of in-flights Miguel... the Cinnamon Teal Banking is superb. Very well done.

Kirk

Sep 20, 2016 at 12:30 AM
surfnron
• • • • • • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · CA ducks in flight

Well, you certainly got the sharpness you, (and the rest of us), desire Miguel. This is a super set and I'd be happy with any one of these shots. The pose in 3 makes it a standout ~ Ron

Sep 20, 2016 at 07:24 AM
Herb Houghton
• • • • • • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · CA ducks in flight

#3 is my pick

Sep 20, 2016 at 08:05 AM
Bsmooth
• • •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · CA ducks in flight

I like any bird inflight shots and these are excellent shots. Its a balancing act between ISO and shutter speed as you say. I've been trying 640 as a middle point between 400 and 800 and it seems to work pretty well. In shade or clouds though ISO 1600 seems to be pretty regular.
As far as shutter speeds I've shot at 1/2000 and still got blur If the bird is close as I need to shoot as I only have the 100-400. But its still a good middle ground.
Great colors too !

Sep 20, 2016 at 09:02 AM
Ted ellis
• • • • • • •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · CA ducks in flight

A very sweet set.

Sep 20, 2016 at 01:19 PM
morris
• • • • • • •
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · CA ducks in flight

3 and the last are my picks from this quality set Miguel

Morris

Sep 20, 2016 at 05:37 PM
jdc562
• • • •
p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · CA ducks in flight

mrpalaviccini wrote:
....I reinforced some key concepts that I still use (when I get the chance to go out and shoot) ...
1) handholding is the best way (for me) to get consistently sharp in-flight shots.
2) I need to work out more to handhold for long periods of time!
3) Fast shutter speed over low ISO - I can remove noise in processing, but I can't remove blur.
Enjoy! Feedback and critiques welcome.

Your 3 points all sound reasonable to me, and your images turned out well. Regarding point #2, handholding a 500mm f4 lens is difficult. For "working out," one fit photographer who frequented Bolsa Chica used gear similar to yours as a free weight, doing one-arm curls while waiting for birds to show up. A number of photographers in this forum, including me, have had good results with a BushHawk for handholding heavier lenses--although I think it was a passing fad. It is like a shot gun mount, and I don't see many anymore. (I get better results with the BushHawk when I adjust it to brace it against my chest instead of my shoulder.)

Sep 20, 2016 at 06:06 PM
mrpalaviccini
• •
p.1 #12 · p.1 #12 · CA ducks in flight

I tend to choose the shutter speed first (minimum 1/2500, preferably 1/4000 for ducks), then aperture, then ISO to get the exposure. I don't mind shooting wide open (the lens is sharp enough), but sometimes want the extra depth of field in case I focus on a wing instead of a head.

Bsmooth wrote:
I like any bird inflight shots and these are excellent shots. Its a balancing act between ISO and shutter speed as you say. I've been trying 640 as a middle point between 400 and 800 and it seems to work pretty well. In shade or clouds though ISO 1600 seems to be pretty regular.
As far as shutter speeds I've shot at 1/2000 and still got blur If the bird is close as I need to shoot as I only have the 100-400. But its still a good middle ground.
Great colors too !

Sep 20, 2016 at 07:27 PM
mrpalaviccini
• •
p.1 #13 · p.1 #13 · CA ducks in flight

I agree it's not easy to handhold! But the series 2 canon (and now Nikon) lenses shaved a couple of pounds of and make it much more manageable. That said, I've also witnessed people handholding the series 1 600 mm lenses!!!

jdc562 wrote:
Your 3 points all sound reasonable to me, and your images turned out well. Regarding point #2, handholding a 500mm f4 lens is difficult. For "working out," one fit photographer who frequented Bolsa Chica used gear similar to yours as a free weight, doing one-arm curls while waiting for birds to show up. A number of photographers in this forum, including me, have had good results with a BushHawk for handholding heavier lenses--although I think it was a passing fad. It is like a shot gun mount, and I don't see many anymore. (I get better results with the BushHawk
...Show more

Sep 20, 2016 at 07:29 PM

FM Forums | Nature & Wildlife | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.