New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

1       2       3       4      
       end

Archive 2016 · Sigma 85mm f1.4 DG HSM Art

p.5 #1 · p.5 #1 · Sigma 85mm f1.4 DG HSM Art

I guess there isn't a lot to discuss now, until the lens starts shipping in substantial quantities. We all know it's going to be awesome.

Oct 01, 2016 at 06:13 AM
johnctharp
• • • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.5 #2 · p.5 #2 · Sigma 85mm f1.4 DG HSM Art

Snopchenko wrote:
I guess there isn't a lot to discuss now, until the lens starts shipping in substantial quantities. We all know it's going to be awesome.

I'm still worried about the LoCA. I'm sure that the acuity will be there, and Sigma may have bent their Art formula in such a way that they get sharpness and rendering at the cost of correction, instead of sacrificing rendering for correction...

...but I'd still need to compare it with the Tamron, and it'd still be held up to the gold standard Sony has set with FE 1.4/85 .

Oct 01, 2016 at 06:24 AM
Pixel Perfect
• • • • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.5 #3 · p.5 #3 · Sigma 85mm f1.4 DG HSM Art

Did any one see how bad the distortion on the new Sigma 12-24 is? The weird thing it suffers from severe pinch distortion in the middle of the frame. I can't belive Sigma would be releasing a lens like that. Hopefull the Photokina version was a very early prototype bu they let people take photos with it so must have known how it performed. If this is indicative of the shipping lens it's DOA.

Oct 01, 2016 at 07:10 AM
Paul Mo
• • • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.5 #4 · p.5 #4 · Sigma 85mm f1.4 DG HSM Art

Snopchenko wrote:

Yeah, I know - but it does seem quiet. Be interesting to see results from people around here.

Oct 01, 2016 at 09:11 AM
garyvot
• • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.5 #5 · p.5 #5 · Sigma 85mm f1.4 DG HSM Art

Here is what Sigma says in its marketing materials:

"A design that prioritizes optical performance—without compromise.

"Outstanding resolving power and minimized chromatic aberrations
help make this the ultimate lens for portraits.

"To create a top-performing 85mm F1.4 lens, SIGMA leveraged its latest innovations in design and materials. The result is the ultimate lens for portraits. By taking chromatic aberrations to the absolute minimum, this lens offers performance that goes beyond, including incredibly sharp resolution and a beautiful bokeh effect."

So--they are claiming at least--minimal / no CA, class-leading sharpness, and great rendering all at once.

We'll have to see.

Oct 01, 2016 at 09:17 AM
       end

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

end

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.