FM Forums | Nikon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

2       3       end

Archive 2016 · Your move, Nikon...

jbonzo1
• •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Your move, Nikon...

FULL DISCLOSURE:
I'm not switching to Sony or suggesting anyone else do so!

Sony just announced the A99II.
Full frame, 42 mp and 12 fps.

Would you buy the D810 successor with these specs? (I doubt Nikon would do 12 fps, maybe 9 or 10).

Edited on Sep 19, 2016 at 12:55 PM · View previous versions

Sep 19, 2016 at 11:23 AM
Vcook
• • •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Your move, Nikon...

I'd be happy pretty happy with the current d810 36mp sensor, 9-10fps and the autofocus from the d5/d500.

Sep 19, 2016 at 11:25 AM
Vinnie_VdB
• • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Your move, Nikon...

Why oh why would one jump ship because a certain camera has temporary more MP and FPS? A photographer invested in a system that hold lenses, got used to the user interface, ....
Nikon will surely release a D900 at some stage that will blow away competition but again, why should one change because of a press announcement?

Sep 19, 2016 at 11:31 AM
Todd Warnke
• • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Your move, Nikon...

592 pixel difference on the long axis, or an 8% increase in linear pixel count. Meh.

Now, the AF and frame rates are a different issue.

Peace,

Todd

Sep 19, 2016 at 12:16 PM
lxdesign
• • • • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Your move, Nikon...

I'll take better AF and speed over MP's any day

Sep 19, 2016 at 12:20 PM
CanadaMark
• • • • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Your move, Nikon...

My guess is, as usual, the AF isn't anywhere near as good as something like the CAM20K module in the D500/D5 which will obviously be in the D810 successor as well. Very impressive specs on the A99II though overall, Sony's always have phenomenal spec sheets. I am most curious what the buffer depth is as 12 FPS.

It's very unlikely the D810 successor will have anywhere near 10FPS let alone 12FPS (unless with crop modes) but I wouldn't be complaining if it did haha.

Sep 19, 2016 at 12:25 PM
Todd Warnke
• • • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · Your move, Nikon...

I agree that the Nikon AF in the next gen D810 is likely to better than that of the new Sony, but I'm glad to see Sony up their game as it will only push the entire industry.

Peace,

Todd

Sep 19, 2016 at 12:37 PM
Dustin Gent
• • • • •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · Your move, Nikon...

CanadaMark wrote:
My guess is, as usual, the AF isn't anywhere near as good as something like the CAM20K module in the D500/D5 which will obviously be in the D810 successor as well. Very impressive specs on the A99II though overall, Sony's always have phenomenal spec sheets. I am most curious what the buffer depth is as 12 FPS.

It's very unlikely the D810 successor will have anywhere near 10FPS let alone 12FPS (unless with crop modes) but I wouldn't be complaining if it did haha.

***UNLESS*** when used with a grip, it will increase the FPS like the D700 did, which i could see happening - but who knows

Sep 19, 2016 at 12:37 PM
jbonzo1
• •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · Your move, Nikon...

Vinnie_VdB wrote:
Why oh why would one jump ship because a certain camera has temporary more MP and FPS? A photographer invested in a system that hold lenses, got used to the user interface, ....
Nikon will surely release a D900 at some stage that will blow away competition but again, why should one change because of a press announcement?

Where did I mention that I was jumping ship?
All I did was point out specs on a new camera from the company that will most likely supply the sensor for the D810 replacement.
Look at my equipment profile... The only time I shot with non-Nikon equipment was when my newspaper bought Canon gear when we went digital and I kept my Nikon gear and shoot with it now that I'm retired.

Sep 19, 2016 at 12:51 PM
RSHPhotography
• • •
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · Your move, Nikon...

Right now... this very second... Nikon's auto focus is clearly the best thing on the market.

And now with Auto fine tune, you extract the maximum possible from a lens.

I can with all confidence that I can aim at a Bride's bouquet toss and nail 9/10 shots with the D500.
Unless Sony can prove in real world scenatios where 42 megapickles and 12fps can nail that shot 90% of the time, I don't want my card full of junk.

Sep 19, 2016 at 01:47 PM
Joseph.
• • • •
p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · Your move, Nikon...

Nah, we have what we need. Time to go out and make photos!

Sep 19, 2016 at 01:59 PM
hijazist
• • • •
p.1 #12 · p.1 #12 · Your move, Nikon...

Joseph. wrote:
Nah, we have what we need.

Said no photographer ever!

Sep 19, 2016 at 02:24 PM
carlitos
• • •
p.1 #13 · p.1 #13 · Your move, Nikon...

jbonzo1 wrote:
FULL DISCLOSURE:
I'm not switching to Sony or suggesting anyone else do so!

Sony just announced the A99II.
Full frame, 42 mp and 12 fps.

Would you buy the D810 successor with these specs? (I doubt Nikon would do 12 fps, maybe 9 or 10).

Nikon probably has a competitive product in queue; just a question of what it is. Seems the 42 Mp BSI is Sony's baby, so maybe 50Mp d810.

Sep 19, 2016 at 02:26 PM
jbonzo1
• •
p.1 #14 · p.1 #14 · Your move, Nikon...

^^^
Agree.
I think Canon's 50 mp is Nikon's competition.

Sep 19, 2016 at 03:32 PM
rw11
• • • •
p.1 #15 · p.1 #15 · Your move, Nikon...

I'd be happy pretty happy with the current d810 36mp sensor, 8 fps and the autofocus from the d5/d500 in a nice D760 body with pro controls.

Sep 19, 2016 at 03:48 PM
walts.photo
• • •
p.1 #16 · p.1 #16 · Your move, Nikon...

This worked for me:

http://tools.science.si/index.php

Sep 19, 2016 at 03:49 PM
playerofwar
• • •
p.1 #17 · p.1 #17 · Your move, Nikon...

hijazist wrote:
Said no photographer --that visits forums-- ever!

I fixed that for you.

Sep 19, 2016 at 03:51 PM
sector99

p.1 #18 · p.1 #18 · Your move, Nikon...

It's early in the surprise PHOTOKINA release sweepstakes.

I'm more interested in the NIKON DL agenda–since that segment is the sweet spot of non-cellphone camera purchases. DSLR monopolists must stop bleeding FIRST ... THEN rearrange for the future.

The floated DL narrative ("We're stumped and have to reboot") doesn't fit ... ergo ... an DL agenda percolates. Maybe it's "Let everyone think they're doing OK then pop out with "Wow ... we fixed it early!"

As a replacement for the NIKON 1 bleeder, the DL trio seems enticing on paper ... especially the perspective control (PC) offered by the 18–50 baseline player.

The smaller chip may not be such a step down given juicy 4K. I could see one in my pocket ... which is after what we secretly all want. Great resolution, vids and saturation ... all in one's pocket for <$650.

The market is getting a bit thin for any more + $6,000 kit DSLRs.

Sep 19, 2016 at 04:12 PM
cvrle59
• • • •
p.1 #19 · p.1 #19 · Your move, Nikon...

It's nice to have a zoom lens on DL cameras, but browsing through Lumia 950 cell phone stream on Flickr, and seeing what you can get out of it, makes me to wonder.
People are so much about iPhones, but there are some phones out there which can produce amazing pictures. I know that Windows phones are used by a few only, but L950 shows capabilities of today's technology. The time will show about DL success...

P.S. I have not seen results of iPhone 7 yet. If it gets better than L950, that would be even harder on small sensor cameras like DL.

Sep 19, 2016 at 04:24 PM
LMT1972
• • •
p.1 #20 · p.1 #20 · Your move, Nikon...

As long as you only need AF to track snails on valium this should be a great bit of kit

Cheers
Leigh

Sep 20, 2016 at 02:04 AM
       2       3       end

FM Forums | Nikon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

2       3       end

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.