New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Photo Critique | Join Upload & Sell

2       end

Archive 2016 · Greetings From Batman

eeneryma
• • • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Greetings From Batman

Patrolling Times Square 42nd St., trolling for tips, maybe not very happy with me who quickly clicked and passed him by...

Your comments and critiques welcome.

Steve

© Steve Schulman Photography

Greetings From Batman

Sep 18, 2016 at 09:20 PM
eeneryma
• • • • • •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Greetings From Batman

Tighter crop, maybe better?

© Steve Schulman Photography

Greetings From Batman

Sep 18, 2016 at 09:38 PM
RustyBug
• • • • • • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Greetings From Batman

Not feeling this one.

Sep 18, 2016 at 10:02 PM
jorgegarcia
• •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Greetings From Batman

eeneryma wrote:
Patrolling Times Square 42nd St., trolling for tips, maybe not very happy with me who quickly clicked and passed him by...

Your comments and critiques welcome.

Steve

I'm sure he gets his picture taken dozens of times a day by folks without permission but photographing street performers is low hanging fruit.

Sep 18, 2016 at 10:03 PM
eeneryma
• • • • • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Greetings From Batman

jorgegarcia wrote:
I'm sure he gets his picture taken dozens of times a day by folks without permission but photographing street performers is low hanging fruit.

Yes, probably low hanging fruit, but a slice of NYC. Being out there every day is what matters as the win ratio on street photos is infinitesimally small. Eric Kim says he takes 1 good photo a month, 1 or 2 a year that he is really proud of. So Batman a cliche, yeah, but maybe some will smile...
Steve
PS. In my opinion, it is a mistake to disparage "low hanging fruit" because unless you are on a professional level, there is always something to learn.

Sep 18, 2016 at 10:43 PM
RustyBug
• • • • • • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Greetings From Batman

jorgegarcia wrote:
photographing street performers is low hanging fruit.

Probably 90% of the images we make are really "low hanging fruit" in the fact that you simply walk up to it and push a button. The distance from my house to Batman is about as far as it is from Steve's house to a palm tree. Seeing a tropical sunset is kinda low hanging fruit for those who live in the tropics. Shooting mountain vistas for those who live in the mountains is low hanging fruit as well as seascapes for those by the shore. Street performers in the big city ... yup, readily available subject matter.

Imo, what makes the diff between low hanging fruit and good image making relies on our treatment of the subject matter and the presentation that we bring to it in the form(s) of our composition tools to yield what it is we are trying to convey. Sans the intentional utilization of our tools, an image is all too often rendered as a mere "snapshot" lacking a well constructed message. While there is nothing wrong with a snapshot per se as recording of a moment in time, the lack of intent to utilize our tools is to me what makes an image / subject "low hanging fruit" ... as it is pretty easy to "not think" as a different form of low hanging fruit.

Imo, it can be a thin line between PJ, snapshot and street shooting. Shooting that which is around us in abundance may seem like "low hanging fruit", but I find that shooting the mundane can be very challenging to present in a manner than conveys it other than mundane. Here, I don't see much more than walking by and pushing the button ... almost in a stealth / avoidance manner. And it is for that reason (vs. the subject matter itself) that it doesn't do much for me.

As to the perspective of only 1 / month @ good ... hmmm, that kinda suggest that it is a numbers game at expecting a lot of poor. Of course, they can't all be our best, but I don't subscribe to allowing it to be an excuse for our lesser works ... so be careful with that one. It can be a slippery slope. Our ability to cull our work and be self-critical @ editorial is an aspect that comes into play here as well, imo ... lest we become like children bringing home daily art work with a gold star on it for mom to hang on the refrigerator.

It (keeping it from being an excuse / license for lesser workmanship) is something that I have struggled with in the past as well @ Ansel Adams saying nearly the exact same thing many years ago. I don't know the photographer whom Steve referred to, but it hit me like a "parroted" excuse that suggested taking lots of pics and somewhere in there you find a few good ones. Granted, that's probably not the case at all ... just the way it struck me, so again, be careful with that.

Bottom line here for me is that for Steve, I'm certain he can present street performers in a different manner than he did with this one. For me, this is nothing more than a snapshot ... nothing that I'd expect to see Steve's name on.

Swing and a miss ... next pitch, please.

Sep 19, 2016 at 04:31 AM
jorgegarcia
• •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · Greetings From Batman

RustyBug wrote:
Imo, what makes the diff between low hanging fruit and good image making relies on our treatment of the subject matter and the presentation that we bring to it in the form(s) of our composition tools to yield what it is we are trying to convey. Sans the intentional utilization of our tools, an image is all too often rendered as a mere "snapshot" lacking a well constructed message. While there is nothing wrong with a snapshot per se as recording of a moment in time, the lack of intent to utilize our tools is to me what makes an
...Show more

I totally agree that easy subject matter can be elevated by the abilities of the photographer.

Example:
https://flic.kr/p/cAJvco

Regarding if this is a numbers game. I think it does play a part. The more you shot, the more practice you get, the better you get, and the chances of getting gold increases. Also it's a matter of time as well. The more your on the street, the more likely you'll stumble upon an interesting scene.

With landscape and what not, that palm tree will be there every day for hundreds of years. You just go outside with a tripod at the right time of day and take its picture. With street, your at the mercy of what the world unfolds in front of you and you better be capableable enough to capture an interesting moment in an interesting way in a brief moment in time.

Sep 19, 2016 at 08:26 AM
RustyBug
• • • • • • •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · Greetings From Batman

+1 @ experience matters numbers ... But sometimes we forget our "focus" and rely more on numbers than maybe we ought.

Again, just a reminder @ slippery slope ... one we all go through at times I think.

Sep 19, 2016 at 11:46 AM
boingyman
• • •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · Greetings From Batman

I agree with Jorge. Shooting street performers is almost like shooting the homeless. Of course there are exceptions to creating a great image with low hanging fruit included, however usually not the case. Jorge posted a great example of the exception. Here is another one of batman himself.

Untitled by Marcelo Argolo, on Flickr

Sep 22, 2016 at 02:52 PM
eeneryma
• • • • • •
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · Greetings From Batman

boingyman wrote:
I agree with Jorge. Shooting street performers is almost like shooting the homeless. Of course there are exceptions to creating a great image with low hanging fruit included, however usually not the case. Jorge posted a great example of the exception. Here is another one of batman himself.

https://c8.staticflickr.com/6/5524/10713891055_5a155d74cd_c.jpgUntitled by Marcelo Argolo, on Flickr

There is an elitist attitude on the part of some in the photographic world that shooting the homeless or street performers is either unacceptable subject matter or "low hanging fruit". Admittedly my Batman photo is a "tosser." At the same time you imply that it's ok to take photos of these subjects as long as it's a "successful" photo. Seems to be somewhat of a double standard.
If you look through the history of photography you will see that many of the greatest photographers have photographed the homeless as well as street performers. I try to treat both of these subject areas with sensitively and respectfulness. Documentary photographers and journalists around the world regularly record the plight of the homeless. If a critical eye is to be used, I think it should be focused on intent as opposed to subject matter.

Steve

Sep 22, 2016 at 03:38 PM
skanter

p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · Greetings From Batman

Full Disclosure:

While not totally new to FM, I'm a friend of Steve Schulman's, who encouraged me to post my photos here.

I am a street photographer (among other genre's), and am sensitive to the misunderstanding and sometimes hostility to SP that is evident among the general public and photographers as well. Yes, we do shoot people without their permission or knowledge. Yes, we do sometimes shoot buskers, homeless and people in pain.

Our job is to document life on the street in an artful way - whatever it is. The concept of "low hanging fruit" is alien to me. To eliminate any category of subject for a photographer, IMO, is a big mistake and very limiting. We shoot as an expression of who we are.

I post this photo of a street person unashamedly. Your comments are welcome:

Man on Sidewalk, Ninth Avenue

Sep 23, 2016 at 12:16 AM
jorgegarcia
• •
p.1 #12 · p.1 #12 · Greetings From Batman

I wouldn't call it elitist when avoiding to shoot homeless, street performers, people walking by ads, etc. It's just, typically, they make for uninteresting photos.

The idea of low hanging fruit is that the subject is easy to photograph. Meaning anyone could have taken that photo.

I personally don't shoot these subject because they don't challenge me to make better photographs.

Sep 23, 2016 at 07:28 AM
eeneryma
• • • • • •
p.1 #13 · p.1 #13 · Greetings From Batman

jorgegarcia wrote:
I wouldn't call it elitist when avoiding to shoot homeless, street performers, people walking by ads, etc. It's just, typically, they make for uninteresting photos.

The idea of low hanging fruit is that the subject is easy to photograph. Meaning anyone could have taken that photo.

I personally don't shoot these subject because they don't challenge me to make better photographs.

So it seems that you are saying that the homeless are uninteresting to you ( even though they are on every other corner of the city I live in) and their situation makes for uninteresting photos?

You have a stronger argument if you say that homeless photos can be cliches, that just walking by a homeless person and snapping their photo is exploitative, as they are "easy targets".. But have you ever stopped to talk to a homeless person, given them food or money, tried to brighten their day? I have, and I've also asked them afterwards if I could take their photo. Good for my soul and kinda brightens my day. And I don't often publish these photos.

Steve

Sep 23, 2016 at 08:05 AM
boingyman
• • •
p.1 #14 · p.1 #14 · Greetings From Batman

Here's the thing. You can do and shoot whatever you want. There are no so called 'rules' to street photography. You want to do a homeless project? Sure, go ahead. It's been done numerous of times. The beauty of street photography is that anyone can do it, however capturing and producing an exceptional street image, series or body of work is another story.

In terms of your original photo above. It's uninteresting and ordinary regardless if a street performer is included in the image or not. A large back is anchoring the image. Hello batman nice to meet you. It's all good though. I take more bad images than good. Sometimes I wonder if I ever taken any good photos.

Sep 23, 2016 at 09:52 AM
eeneryma
• • • • • •
p.1 #15 · p.1 #15 · Greetings From Batman

"You want to do a homeless project? Sure, go ahead. It's been done numerous of times." Boingyman

The truth is that everything has been done before. As you've stated, the challenge is to try to make it fresh, evocative, compelling.

"I take more bad images than good. Sometimes I wonder if I ever taken any good photos." Boingyman

Agreed. That is the exciting challenge for all street photographers. These images do not come very often.

Steve

Sep 23, 2016 at 10:27 AM
skanter

p.1 #16 · p.1 #16 · Greetings From Batman

jorgegarcia wrote:
>>I wouldn't call it elitist when avoiding to shoot homeless, street performers, people walking by ads, etc. It's just, typically, they make for uninteresting photos.

-Any- subject can be compelling or uninteresting, depending on the skills of the photographer. On a higher level, photography - and especially street photography - has little to do with the subject, but more the eye and voice of the photographer.

>>I personally don't shoot these subject because they don't challenge me to make better photographs.

Seems like -more- of a challenge to take a good photograph. Are there particular subjects that challenge you?

Sep 23, 2016 at 04:59 PM
RustyBug
• • • • • • •
p.1 #17 · p.1 #17 · Greetings From Batman

I think good street photography is illustrative of how well a person can see beyond the superficial ... and then render a comp that steers the viewer to come to see it also.

PJ otoh is something different ... even though it frequently occurs in the same environment.

I think folks fail to distinguish the difference on many occasions. Those who understand the difference ... it shows in their work.

Sep 23, 2016 at 05:14 PM
jorgegarcia
• •
p.1 #18 · p.1 #18 · Greetings From Batman

skanter wrote
Our job is to document life on the street in an artful way - whatever it is. The concept of "low hanging fruit" is alien to me. To eliminate any category of subject for a photographer, IMO, is a big mistake and very limiting. We shoot as an expression of who we are.

I post this photo of a street person unashamedly. Your comments are welcome:

Man on Sidewalk, Ninth Avenue

Street photography isn't about documenting anything. That's where a lot of people mix things up. Documentation, That's for the pj folks. They are obligated to document and share facts and truths.

Street can be abstract and false.

Rusty-
Completely agree. I'm not saying an image of a homeless person or street performers automatically makes for a bad image. You just better be really good and make a great photo to.elevate the subject matter.

Sep 23, 2016 at 07:39 PM
RustyBug
• • • • • • •
p.1 #19 · p.1 #19 · Greetings From Batman

+1

I think the homeless / street performer ... or just about anything for that matter ... can be very cliche'. Personally, I think Steve has presented an excellent image of a great street performer, just not in the Batman image.

Edited on Sep 23, 2016 at 08:29 PM · View previous versions

Sep 23, 2016 at 08:24 PM
skanter

p.1 #20 · p.1 #20 · Greetings From Batman

jorgegarcia wrote:
Street photography isn't about documenting anything. That's where a lot of people mix things up. Documentation, That's for the pj folks. They are obligated to document and share facts and truths.

Street can be abstract and false.

Rusty-
Completely agree. I'm not saying an image of a homeless person or street performers automatically makes for a bad image. You just better be really good and make a great photo to.elevate the subject matter.

You missed the "artful way" part. Documenting is the taking of the image - presenting it as a form of art is what SP is about - and it has nothing to do with subject matter as has been opined here. The street part is the part that is not the subject matter.

Sep 23, 2016 at 08:27 PM
       2       end

FM Forums | Photo Critique | Join Upload & Sell

2       end

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.