Home · Register · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username  

FM Forum Rules
Nature & Wildlife Posting Guidelines

FM Forums | Nature & Wildlife | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2016 · My challenges with this board...

wonderer
• • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · My challenges with this board...

I really love this board! It is a pleasure to view so much fine photography from all over the world. You all collectively bring me pleasure on many a dark day here in Western NY (USA).

Unfortunately, my internet connection is often too slow to fully load images, especially posts with many hi-rez photos. That's the price I pay I guess for rural living--our internet is limited to slow DSL (the shared phone line). We are not in a place where we're likely to see a faster option any time soon. My understanding from those who have tried it is that satellite internet here is as bad / slow as what we currently use. I hoped that one of the other cell carriers would have a viable option through their modem, etc., but that's a dead end too.

Anyway, I still look when I can (and have the time and patience for images to load). If anyone has any suggestions for improving the effectiveness and efficiency of my connection, I'd welcome it. In the meantime, thanks for the inspiration and insight you share through your posts. I'm sorry I don't interact as much as I'd like to, but I get so frustrated waiting for images to load, it can drive me a bit crazy...

Good light and photo-ops to you all!

--Kim

Sep 18, 2016 at 07:18 PM
morris
• • • • • • •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · My challenges with this board...

I'm sorry you have to struggle with this Kim. Have you ever asked the ISPs in your area if a collection of your neighbors could chip in to pay for some of the infrastructure build out?

Morris

Sep 18, 2016 at 07:28 PM
wonderer
• • • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · My challenges with this board...

morris wrote:
I'm sorry you have to struggle with this Kim. Have you ever asked the ISPs in your area if a collection of your neighbors could chip in to pay for some of the infrastructure build out?

Morris

We haven't, Morris but that's a great idea. There's not even a whole lot of neighbors and I don't know how many of them are photo-challenged like me. But, as the saying goes, "You can't win if you don't play".

I'll check it out; thanks for the suggestion.

--Kim

Sep 18, 2016 at 07:34 PM
mogul
• • • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · My challenges with this board...

Living in rural Oregon, most of the small towns go over the air though their cell provider, I live in a larger town and our dsl is 40 mbits. I would contact your local municipality to improve your service as it handicaps rural areas in the job market. There are many state and federal monies available for internet infrastructure build out...bringing in a fiber optic line is important for cable or dsl. Good Luck

Sep 18, 2016 at 07:43 PM
birdied
• • • • • • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · My challenges with this board...

I hope you can get a solution to your issue.

Birdie

Sep 18, 2016 at 07:52 PM
wonderer
• • • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · My challenges with this board...

mogul wrote:
Living in rural Oregon, most of the small towns go over the air though their cell provider, I live in a larger town and our dsl is 40 mbits. I would contact your local municipality to improve your service as it handicaps rural areas in the job market. There are many state and federal monies available for internet infrastructure build out...bringing in a fiber optic line is important for cable or dsl. Good Luck

Thanks for the suggestion mogul. There is some movement here to do just that as we are at the northern end of Appalachia. There are actually federal fund allocated to help the Appalachian region make such improvements for precisely the reason you stated.

Ironically, I just heard a story on the radio the other day about how the communications companies are fighting municipally-funded broadband provision: competition, dontcha' know?

Nonethess, your post is good reminder to check up on local efforts to provide broadband. It's been a while since I heard anything about the effort.

--Kim

Sep 18, 2016 at 07:52 PM
wonderer
• • • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · My challenges with this board...

birdied wrote:
I hope you can get a solution to your issue.

Birdie

Thanks Birdie; me too! It's bad enough when conditions are less than favorable for good photo ops, but with this in the mix, it's almost more than I can stand!

--Kim

Sep 18, 2016 at 07:53 PM
surfnron
• • • • • • •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · My challenges with this board...

Those who have been around long enough know what you are going through Kim. I hope you find a solution ~ Ron

Sep 18, 2016 at 09:00 PM
wonderer
• • • •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · My challenges with this board...

surfnron wrote:
Those who have been around long enough know what you are going through Kim. I hope you find a solution ~ Ron

Must have missed this a few days ago--thanks Ron.

Sep 27, 2016 at 05:31 AM
morrismike
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · My challenges with this board...

Start asking around the neighborhood and they'll be an ingenious gamer that has already found the solution you are looking for. Never underestimate the resourcefullness of a person looking for something to do besides work. Perhaps a wifi hotspot is your solution or maybe even an air card designed for a laptop or tablet.

If there is good wifi in your area, then something like this would work well if you are kind of handy. Just try not to steal or break the law with this knowledge.

Sep 28, 2016 at 10:07 AM
R.H. Johnson
• • • •
[X]
p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · My challenges with this board...

if you have a smart phone eg iPhone. you could connect your computer to the smart phone via the hotspot wifi or bluetooth connection. if you have 4G in your area that will get your internet connect speeds up. another option would be to connect via your local cable TV with a DSL modem.

Sep 28, 2016 at 08:23 PM
wonderer
• • • •
p.1 #12 · p.1 #12 · My challenges with this board...

Thanks morrismike and R.H. Johnson. Great ideas but may still be challenging. The neighborhood is just a smattering of houses with lots of space in-between them (no complaints there; I like that). Cell service is almost as bad as the internet so it doesn't get me far. Still, will keep your suggestions in mind. I've also got an inquiry in about the municipal / regional broadband initiative that was brewing here...

Oct 02, 2016 at 06:07 AM

FM Forums | Nature & Wildlife | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.