New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2016 · Tablet or ipad

R.Victor

Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Tablet or ipad

I'm thinking about getting a 'tablet' to remotely control my 6d. I'm not that knowledgeable about this kind of thing, but it seem like I heard somewhere that Apple didn't work that well with Canon. Any truth to that and/or what features should I look for in a tablet?

In addition to controlling my camera the other things I see using it for is displaying images & videos to potential customers, possibly running credit cards & using it to make Facebook/Twitter posts.

Any opinions &/or suggestions would be greatly appreciated!

Rob

Sep 18, 2016 at 10:05 AM
jcolwell
• • • • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Tablet or ipad

I use DSLR Controller on my 'phablet', Samsung Galaxy Note 3.

Sep 18, 2016 at 10:11 AM
R.Victor

p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Tablet or ipad

Thanks jcolwell, I'll take a look at that!

Sep 18, 2016 at 10:52 AM
bootster
• •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Tablet or ipad

Surface Pro 4 here. It's essentially a desktop crammed into a tablet. It will do more than any other portable option out there. A bit pricy, but it is the only machine that you can run FULL desktop "programs" on, not just lightened up "apps".

I use Capture One and Lightroom to tether my DSLR's.

Sep 18, 2016 at 11:06 AM
krementz
• • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Tablet or ipad

I have used an iPad and an Android phone to drive my 6D. As I remember, there wasn't much difference, both worked. Both were somewhat sluggish, due to the radio connections.

I don't use either for storing or editing photos, and transfer to my laptop. I have also used my laptop to drive a camera, which was clumsy. IIRC I had to use a cable.

Sep 18, 2016 at 11:23 AM
R.Victor

p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Tablet or ipad

Thanks Booster & Krementz,

I'm not planning on doing any editing on the tablet, just displaying final finished images. But the comment about the radio connection being sluggish makes me think I should take my camera to the city & see what kind of delay it has.

This summer I found a Redbud tree that a woodpecker has hollowed out a cavity. I'd like to get ready for next spring so I can set up the camera & hide waiting for them peeking out.

Add to that I'm recovering from arm surgery & am only just now allowed to lift anything as heavy as a pop can. So while I'm expecting some significant improvement over the next couple weeks I'm hoping that this might also serve as a bridge until I have more strength.

Sep 18, 2016 at 12:53 PM
R.H. Johnson
• • • •
[X]
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · Tablet or ipad

i use iPhone or 17" Asus android tablet via Canon Connect app. I use the tablet for is displaying images & videos and editing

Sep 18, 2016 at 12:56 PM
bootster
• •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · Tablet or ipad

I will concur with what RH Johnson had to say. The last person I showed pictures to on my Surface Pro 4 commented, "Wow, that's like you're right there". That's how nice the screen looks.

Now that I think of it, you want an Android device for the wireless (or an apple ) , and a Surface isn't an Android device.

Good luck with your healing process. I'm glad to see it's not going to sway your determination.

Sep 18, 2016 at 01:27 PM
garyvot
• • • •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · Tablet or ipad

I also use Surface. In my case, a Surface Book for main editing duties, and a Surface 3 (non Pro) for some field work. The Surface 3 is not a speed demon, yet I can run full Lightroom, Photoshop, Bridge/ACR, DPP, Photo Mechanic, and my PocketWizard utility on a device only a little bigger than an iPad. The availability of the Surface Pen is a bonus for use with some desktop apps.

There seems to be some confusion in the comments that wireless tethered shooting does not work from a PC. Full remote shooting with a live preview has been supported for years over Wi-Fi via Canon EOS Utility, at least on Windows. (I imagine it works on Macs as well.)

Sep 18, 2016 at 03:07 PM
R.Victor

p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · Tablet or ipad

Thanks, getting by the last couple months has been like an episode of Red Green's Handyman Corner. My 'medical devices have included my woodworking bench, vice grips & a spool of safetywire... "If the women don't find you handsome, they should at least find you handy!"

Hi Gary, I'm unfamiliar with the Surface Pen, I'll have to look that up.

Especially with my medical expenses I'm thinking I'll keep it less expensive & continue to use my desktop to do processing. (Just think what equipment $4K would have bought!) I saw an Asus Zenpad S that has a 2048x1536 screen resolution & gets pretty good reviews. I just don't want to fall into the stupid category of economics!

Sep 18, 2016 at 03:37 PM
Michael White
• • • •
p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · Tablet or ipad

I love my iPad it's my second first was wifi only

Sep 18, 2016 at 04:13 PM
garyvot
• • • •
p.1 #12 · p.1 #12 · Tablet or ipad

R.Victor wrote:
Hi Gary, I'm unfamiliar with the Surface Pen, I'll have to look that up.

Here you go: https://www.microsoft.com/surface/en-us/accessories/pen

It's included with most Surface devices, BTW, but can also be purchased separately.

Sep 18, 2016 at 05:24 PM
R.Victor

p.1 #13 · p.1 #13 · Tablet or ipad

Just wanted to say thanks for all the suggestions. Apparently when Google went into KC they handed out tablets to get people to switch over. A guy has a Nexus he's letting me borrow for the weekend.

Sep 24, 2016 at 02:15 PM
Gochugogi
• • • • • •
p.1 #14 · p.1 #14 · Tablet or ipad

R.Victor wrote:
I'm thinking about getting a 'tablet' to remotely control my 6d. I'm not that knowledgeable about this kind of thing, but it seem like I heard somewhere that Apple didn't work that well with Canon. Any truth to that and/or what features should I look for in a tablet?

In addition to controlling my camera the other things I see using it for is displaying images & videos to potential customers, possibly running credit cards & using it to make Facebook/Twitter posts.

Rob

My iPad and iPhone work fine with both my 6D and 80D using Canon's Camera Connect. Never had any issues even with the prior app either.

Sep 24, 2016 at 03:55 PM
jimmy462
• • •
p.1 #15 · p.1 #15 · Tablet or ipad

Hi R.Victor,

I spent some time shopping iPad Pro vs MS Surface 4 over the summer for my photographer daughter. After spending time at both walk-in stores for some hands-on and online for all the tech background, one item stood out amongst the choices when it came to how images looked on the screen...and that was the 9.7" iPad Pro. Turns out that this particular model (the larger 12.9" model does not do this) uses a display panel that can display in both standard "sRGB" color space and the wider-gamut "DCI-P3 Wide Color Gamut". Yes, we could both see a noticeable (albeit, sometimes subtle sometimes obvious) difference in color fidelity. (Something to ponder while considering your clients?!)

Anyhoo, after much consternation for having to sacrifice size for color adeptness she decided on the "better colors" 9.7". I imagine I'll be "art-funding" a DCI-P3 12.9" iPad Pro II at some point in the not too distant future! Haw!

Best of luck in your shopping, keep us posted as to what you decide!

Jimmy G

P.S. From what I've seen, the "Pencil" smokes the "Pen" when it comes to drawing/art apps! Which turned out to be another factor.

Sep 25, 2016 at 06:17 AM
bootster
• •
p.1 #16 · p.1 #16 · Tablet or ipad

The decision of the Surface Pro 4 vs the iPad Pro has boiled down to a glorified phone (the iPad), or a fully functional, powerful computer (SP4). Both have their proper places, but they don't compare when it comes to what these devices are designed to do.

There is a point on this display criteria, but if you are dropping that kind of coin on a device, you have to weigh the unit as a whole, not just by one specific feature, unless the screen is that important to you, and even then, there is little difference in the two displays to warrant a large enough difference to be a deal breaker.

The good news is that you will find that a lot of effort has been spent reviewing a comparison of the two devices, and you can have a really good perspective of what works for you if you spend some time looking at these comparisons.

As a disclaimer, I've never owned an Apple product, but I own a SP4( i7, 256GB, 8GB Ram) and absolutely love it.

Sep 25, 2016 at 01:05 PM
shutterbug guy
• • •
p.1 #17 · p.1 #17 · Tablet or ipad

R.Victor wrote:

Rob

My iPad and iPhones work just fine with my current Canons 5D3 and 7D2 along with a CamRanger. I've used a Samsung tablet and a Samsung phone with the pair also with a different wifi set up that I bought for $35, the CamRanger with the Apple products seemed to feel better, not that it was. Very reliable set up.

Of course the next round of body upgrades, if and when I decide to do so will already have the wireless built in, like the 6D, etc. does.

Sep 25, 2016 at 02:49 PM
R.Victor

p.1 #18 · p.1 #18 · Tablet or ipad

Thanks guys, ran into a couple complications. The main one being that I still don't have enough strength in my hand to lock it down. I can use my good hand to get it in the plate, but can't throw the locking lever. It's surprising to me at how fast you can loose muscle mass/strength. Sigh! We'll give it a couple more weeks as I continue to exercise with my medical play dough.

Sep 26, 2016 at 09:46 AM

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.