New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2016 · Any ballpark idea what this would cost to fix? LCD 1D-C

Shield
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Any ballpark idea what this would cost to fix? LCD 1D-C

Called Canon and they stated they cannot give quotes over the phone on anything.
This is from a Canon 1DC.

Anyone have a rough ballpark what this might cost to get fixed?

Sep 18, 2016 at 02:58 AM
Paul Mo
• • • • •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Any ballpark idea what this would cost to fix? LCD 1D-C

Are they scratches?

Sep 18, 2016 at 03:02 AM
Shield
• • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Any ballpark idea what this would cost to fix? LCD 1D-C

Yes on the LCD screen. This isn't a LCD protector that's scratched; it's the screen itself.

Sep 18, 2016 at 03:04 AM
some_film

p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Any ballpark idea what this would cost to fix? LCD 1D-C

Shield wrote:
they stated they cannot give quotes over the phone on anything.

I hate that. "Well, if I need the entire shutter mechanism replaced, how much does that typically cost?" Won't quote without inspection.

---------------------------------------------

Shield wrote:
Yes on the LCD screen. This isn't a LCD protector that's scratched; it's the screen itself.

From the picture it appears that this is damage to the glass protective piece that's set flush and not the LCD. It's my understanding anyway that there is a protective piece over the actual LCD but please do let me know if I'm mistaken. I was looking at buying a used body that had this kind of damage and the DIY repair did not seem too difficult. For example:

http://www.instructables.com/id/Canon-DSLR-LCD-Glass-Fix/

Sep 18, 2016 at 03:22 AM
Photonadave
• • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Any ballpark idea what this would cost to fix? LCD 1D-C

My understanding is that the newer Clear View II rear screens, I think this is what your camera has, are tempered glass glued directly to the TFT display. As such the whole display assembly is replaced as a unit unlike older versions with the plastic screens that are removable with some care.

Are those marks pictured actual scratches that you can feel or click your fingernail on or some kind of rub off marks from whatever rubbed against the screen? If the latter they may be removed by cleaning. I would try rubbing at it with a clean cotton t-shirt or similar. I suspect that this screen may have an antireflection coating like lenses have that can come off if one is too aggressive with cleaning so take care.

I doubt that this interferes with picture taking so I would leave well enough alone and just consider it a battle scar of merit. Even with care cameras that are used will tend to look used after a while.

If this happened to my camera I wouldn’t worry and maybe only do something about it if sending the camera in for repair of some other camera debilitating issue

Sep 18, 2016 at 09:06 AM
Ian.Dobinson
• • • • • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Any ballpark idea what this would cost to fix? LCD 1D-C

seriously I know its annoying but from where the scratches are Id just put up with them . lets face it if you send it in to canon its not going to be a few $ fix is it . if in the future you neede to send it in for some other issue then maybe getting it done then would be a better way to go about it ?

Sep 18, 2016 at 10:17 AM
Andrew J
• • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · Any ballpark idea what this would cost to fix? LCD 1D-C

Anti-glare screen protector might hide them completely.

Sep 18, 2016 at 11:06 AM
Enal
• •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · Any ballpark idea what this would cost to fix? LCD 1D-C

Those have nothing to do with getting good images..!

Git that Hanger Queen outside and Shoot!

Sep 26, 2016 at 10:42 AM
Eric Mastilak
• • •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · Any ballpark idea what this would cost to fix? LCD 1D-C

Are the people who are saying it is not that bad are same people who would take Shield to the cleaners if he tried to sell it in the Buy/Sell forum?

Sep 26, 2016 at 11:59 AM
danski0224
• • •
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · Any ballpark idea what this would cost to fix? LCD 1D-C

Eric Mastilak wrote:
Are the people who are saying it is not that bad are same people who would take Shield to the cleaners if he tried to sell it in the Buy/Sell forum?

The cost of fixing it likely exceeds the street price difference between the camera with cosmetic damage and a perfect one.

Some people would want a ddiscount just because the screen was replaced.

If the scratched area doesn't affect the use of the screen, I'd leave it alone.

Sep 26, 2016 at 03:48 PM
Alex Phan
• • • • •
p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · Any ballpark idea what this would cost to fix? LCD 1D-C

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Canon-EOS-1DX-EOS-1D-X-LCD-Screen-Display-Monitor-With-outer-window-NEW-/371433753374?hash=item567b2d4b1e:g:dgoAAOxy--NRwkg-

DIY project?

Sep 26, 2016 at 05:53 PM
Mike Jacks0n
• • •
p.1 #12 · p.1 #12 · Any ballpark idea what this would cost to fix? LCD 1D-C

It would suck if this is all that is needed, LCD Repair, but I remember the repair on my 1D2N was $100 through a 3rd party repair shop. It was a replaced glass screen as well. I'd expect Canon to roughly double that, based on the "Genuine Parts".

Sep 26, 2016 at 07:02 PM
PatrickSweeney
• • •
p.1 #13 · p.1 #13 · Any ballpark idea what this would cost to fix? LCD 1D-C

I'm not brutal or careless with equipment, but I always ask myself a simple question when I consider such things;

Can it, in its current condition, still be counted on to make me money?

If the answer is "Yes" then it isn't a problem.

If the answer is "No" then the equation changes. What is the cost/benefit ratio of the fix? What is the cost of repair percentage to replacement? And, what is the likelihood of the damage causing a problem?

From what I can see, the answer is "Yes" and thus, not a problem. If cosmetics matter that much to you, then adjust the calculation accordingly.

For those who wonder, yes, I have run some truly ugly gear, in other contexts. But they still performed and delivered.

Sep 26, 2016 at 07:33 PM
dtolios
• • •
p.1 #14 · p.1 #14 · Any ballpark idea what this would cost to fix? LCD 1D-C

danski0224 wrote:
The cost of fixing it likely exceeds the street price difference between the camera with cosmetic damage and a perfect one.

Some people would want a ddiscount just because the screen was replaced.

If the scratched area doesn't affect the use of the screen, I'd leave it alone.

Very well put. +1

Sep 26, 2016 at 08:12 PM
danski0224
• • •
p.1 #15 · p.1 #15 · Any ballpark idea what this would cost to fix? LCD 1D-C

As I understand it, the LCD screen from the 1DX model and newer is quite different from the earlier versions- the outer "protective" part is bonded to the actual display, eliminating the easy DIY fix of simply replacing a clear plastic cover.

I would ASSume that the same applies from the 7DII model and newer crop cameras.

Considering that the 1DC is a "1DX with a heatsink" I would ASSume that it also has the bonded LCD panel.

If there is a significant amount of dis-assembly to get there, then there is more opportunity to mess stuff up in the replacement process. What if Canon service messes something up along the way, or puts a couple of new scratches somewhere else? Or, the camera gets lost en-route (it was insured for replacement value and boxed correctly, right? ).

Disclaimer: I have only had positive experiences with Canon service.

The damage looks a lot like the first small scratch on a brand new car. It sucks, but the repair might cause more damage in the process.

I would become a CPS member before sending it in to at least become eligible for the discounted repair.

Sep 26, 2016 at 08:49 PM
danski0224
• • •
p.1 #16 · p.1 #16 · Any ballpark idea what this would cost to fix? LCD 1D-C

Eric Mastilak wrote:

It's like buying a car.

Too many miles at trade-in time, so they lowball you. Then, when the car is on the lot, all of those miles are easy highway miles, and the price is 3x what they offered you.

Sep 26, 2016 at 08:52 PM
EB-1
• • • • • • •
p.1 #17 · p.1 #17 · Any ballpark idea what this would cost to fix? LCD 1D-C

The scratches are minor and not in the main LCD view. The 1DC is pro gear. Just sell to someone who is not prissy and accept that it will be worth a bit less.

EBH

Sep 26, 2016 at 09:20 PM
Andrew J
• • • • •
p.1 #18 · p.1 #18 · Any ballpark idea what this would cost to fix? LCD 1D-C

Eric Mastilak wrote:

No sir, different breed.

Sep 26, 2016 at 09:48 PM

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.