Sports Corner Rules
Sports Corner Resource

FM Forums | Sports Corner | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2016 · Bantam Hockey

sfurr
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Bantam Hockey

Just received my 1DX. So this was the maiden outing. Not that happy with the results but I was helping keep score and taking pictures from the score keepers box in the middle of the rink. Not to mention shooting thru hockey glass at a non-pro rink is like viewing the world through the bottom of a dirty glass, so I need to get better with my PP. The 1DX did an excellent job of holding focus in low light and I am very happy with that. Here are some of the better samples that had eyes in them. Any PP hints for bringing the whites up (getting rid if gray ice) without blowing the histogram up would be much appreciated. I am using PSE14. If PP/LR are that much better then please pass along the advice.

Comments and Critiques always welcome.

Scott

© sfurr 2016

Team after the win. Goalie is the small one on the team. Pure sarcasm...

© sfurr 2016

I cropped out a little bit of extra dead space all around.

© sfurr 2016

Needed to be in landscape for this one. Cut his foot and stick off.

© sfurr 2016

Needed to be in landscape for this one also. Cut his stick off.

Sep 17, 2016 at 10:05 PM
sfurr
• • •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Bantam Hockey

Shots from today's game. Located towards end of ring closer to Goalie. Still tossing out many shots for glass interference.

© sfurr 2016

© sfurr 2016

© sfurr 2016

© sfurr 2016

© sfurr 2016

Sep 18, 2016 at 02:45 PM
sfurr
• • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Bantam Hockey

A few more.

© sfurr 2016

© sfurr 2016

Sep 18, 2016 at 07:42 PM
CW100
• • • • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Bantam Hockey

I use the Levels adjustment in Photoshop for "bringing the whites up"

Sep 21, 2016 at 04:27 PM
Paulthelefty
• • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Bantam Hockey

I think most folk would be surprised to learn how horizontal hockey is, generally one expects it to be vertical.

Let your blacks be black, the last two show shadow push beyond what is needed IMHO. Let the ice be not quite white too, it looks real that way... if you take it too far you end up affecting other parts of the image negatively anyway.

Mess around with pulling down your greens, especially shots through the glass, they can clean up nicely with careful desats.

Keeping score means you probably understand the sport pretty well, which will help in anticipating the action and getting good shots. Have fun!

Paul

Sep 21, 2016 at 06:34 PM
sfurr
• • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Bantam Hockey

CW100 when you say Levels adjustment in Photoshop is that same tool available in Photoshop Elements? I am using PSE to adjust the RAW file levels prior to cropping and saving to JPEG. I know not all Photoshop tool are available in PSE but i think you are referring to the ones that are in PSE also.

Paul, you are correct I pushed the shadows because it helped get rid of the glass effect. I never thought about pulling the Green down. I am going to go back and try that and see if I can get a better result.

It is fun watching at this age they really start to put it together and I can anticipate what they are thinking. The younger ones make decisions that you could not possible imagine. We are past that now and the Coach is great at teaching them to play as a team vice "individuals" so the game is progressing quite well.

Thanks for the inputs.

Scott

Sep 22, 2016 at 06:01 PM

FM Forums | Sports Corner | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.