New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2016 · Canon 1Dx SRaw vs L Jpeg

BobnJake
• • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Canon 1Dx SRaw vs L Jpeg

Quick question, I recently heard someone say that shooting a sRaw file would still contain more detail (that could be recovered) then a L Jpeg?

Sep 17, 2016 at 06:16 PM
garyvot
• • • •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Canon 1Dx SRaw vs L Jpeg

Sort of, however sRAW or mRAW files are of lower resolution so if you need more pixels, it's not the right solution.

sRAW is a de-Bayered image that is stored in a linear HDR format without a tone curve applied. The benefit of this is that highlight and shadow detail is not clipped as it might be in an 8 bit JPEG conversion.

So, it gives you some of the processing flexibility of a RAW file but it has some Canon color mapping already applied, so it is not as maleable as a true RAW image.

I generally avoid shooting this format. I recommend just shooting a full size RAW image if you need this capability. I do always.

Sep 17, 2016 at 06:33 PM
BobnJake
• • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Canon 1Dx SRaw vs L Jpeg

Thanks I'm currently shooting Raw on one card and L JPEG on the other

Sep 17, 2016 at 06:43 PM
EB-1
• • • • • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Canon 1Dx SRaw vs L Jpeg

BobnJake wrote:

Try it for yourself, but most likely you will not like the sRAW or mRAW.
I'd do what you are doing now.

EBH

Sep 17, 2016 at 06:43 PM
BobnJake
• • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Canon 1Dx SRaw vs L Jpeg

Thanks EBH

Sep 17, 2016 at 07:23 PM
Ian.Dobinson
• • • • • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Canon 1Dx SRaw vs L Jpeg

BobnJake wrote:

if that card with the L jpegs goes near a PC/Mac before you do stuff with the jpegs (i.e. email them show them to a client etc) then you can save yourself the hassle by using instant jpeg from raw . it can rip the embedded jpegs from a card full of RAW files in seconds . OK those jpegs are more compressed than L jpegs (but not that you'd notice) but they are full resolution .

Sep 18, 2016 at 12:56 AM
Claude
• • • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · Canon 1Dx SRaw vs L Jpeg

mRaw and sRaw of 1DX are too small for my taste

Claude

Sep 18, 2016 at 01:12 PM
BobnJake
• • •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · Canon 1Dx SRaw vs L Jpeg

Thanks everyone, I'm going to stick with what I've been shooting, Raw and L JPEG
if it ain't broke, don't try to fix it
Thanks again

Sep 18, 2016 at 01:26 PM
AmbientMike
• • • • • •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · Canon 1Dx SRaw vs L Jpeg

I'd recommend testing RAW vs jpeg by shooting some properly focused, etc, RAW+JPG'S.

Not sure how it might affect what you're trying to do, but different cameras have different results. I haven’t tested lately like I should, but on the XT the jpegs seemed a touch better. On the 5D, if I left the sharpness setting middle of the road, I lost a LOT of resolution at 100% compared to RAW.

Similar to what was said above, DPP that I've used has batch, where you can and convert from RAW.

Sep 19, 2016 at 08:41 PM
BobnJake
• • •
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · Canon 1Dx SRaw vs L Jpeg

Thanks Mike, I might try that
tx

Sep 19, 2016 at 09:03 PM
dtolios
• • •
p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · Canon 1Dx SRaw vs L Jpeg

Resolution is definitely better with L Jpeg vs. S Raw, even M Raw. I personally only shoot full Raw, perhaps with a S Jpeg if it involves friends that I know will bug me for the file.

I have a friend who shoots M Raw often when he covers Marathon events with thousands of runners and he is worried he might need to recover more than the Jpeg allows but PP with full RAWs would bug him - and its true. S Raws still contain more bit-depth than the 8-bit Jpeg (tho I think it is not as good as the actual Raw).

Sep 20, 2016 at 01:38 PM

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.