Home · Register · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username  

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Post-processing & Printing | Join Upload & Sell

2       end

Archive 2016 · Apple Photos Auto Launch on Mac.....

helimat
• • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Apple Photos Auto Launch on Mac.....

....Was driving me nuts, as it would pop up whenever I put a card in the card reader. Even if I ticked the 'not this device' box, it would start again after I formatted my card. (which is every time the card went back in the camera) However, I found this remedy, and I thought I would pass it along for those who are having similar issues;

-Copy and paste the following into the terminal app, and hit enter: defaults -currentHost write com.apple.ImageCapture disableHotPlug -bool YES

-If you ever need to reactivate the auto-launch feature, copy and paste the following into the terminal app, and hit enter: defaults -currentHost write com.apple.ImageCapture disableHotPlug -bool NO

Seems to work for me.

Cheers,

Mat

Sep 17, 2016 at 01:03 PM
Dustin Gent
• • • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Apple Photos Auto Launch on Mac.....

good to know.

Sep 17, 2016 at 03:03 PM
uscmatt99
• • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Apple Photos Auto Launch on Mac.....

Mat thanks for this, a constant annoyance every time I put a card in the reader, will give it a shot tonight.

Sep 17, 2016 at 04:30 PM
Imagemaster
• • • • • • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Apple Photos Auto Launch on Mac.....

Yeah, it is just one of Apple's annoying ways of trying to force you to use their products only.

Since I don't like messing with Terminal, I just quit Photos, then open ImageBrowser EX.

Sep 17, 2016 at 05:05 PM
mitesh
• • • • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Apple Photos Auto Launch on Mac.....

Works like a charm, thanks!

Sep 17, 2016 at 06:21 PM
mhp_sd
• •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Apple Photos Auto Launch on Mac.....

Thank you!!!!!

Sep 17, 2016 at 07:24 PM
gregfountain
• • • • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · Apple Photos Auto Launch on Mac.....

I've been a long time Apple user and this is one of things that is driving me to consider moving back to Windows..thanks for the tip.

Sep 17, 2016 at 07:29 PM
Imagemaster
• • • • • • •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · Apple Photos Auto Launch on Mac.....

The similar tactics they use for trying to get you to use iTunes and iCloud are also annoying.

Sep 17, 2016 at 07:59 PM
c.d.embrey
• • •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · Apple Photos Auto Launch on Mac.....

Every-time I plug-in my iPhone 4s it launches both Photos and iTunes. Very annoying!!

Sep 17, 2016 at 08:24 PM
Abbott Schindl
• • •
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · Apple Photos Auto Launch on Mac.....

Use the Terminal command. It's trivial and safe. If at a later time you want to reset it to defaults, just enter:
defaults -currentHost write com.apple.ImageCapture disableHotPlug -bool yes

Alternatively, if you have Keyboard Maestro, you can create a simple macro to quit Photos whenever it launches. Not as clean as the Terminal method, but it works.

Sep 17, 2016 at 08:55 PM
helimat
• • • • •
p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · Apple Photos Auto Launch on Mac.....

Imagemaster wrote:
Yeah, it is just one of Apple's annoying ways of trying to force you to use their products only.

Good thing there is a work around that takes less than 10 seconds to do.

c.d.embrey wrote:
Every-time I plug-in my iPhone 4s it launches both Photos and iTunes. Very annoying!!

For iPhones, it is much easier to stop, as the device is not formatted regularly.

Photos: Un-tick the 'Open Photos for this device' box on the upper LH side of Photos when first connected

iTunes: Open iTunes, select your device, go to the Summary tab and unselect Open iTunes when this iPhone is connected.

Abbott Schindl wrote:
Use the Terminal command. It's trivial and safe. If at a later time you want to reset it to defaults, just enter:
defaults -currentHost write com.apple.ImageCapture disableHotPlug -bool yes

Agreed - Using Terminal is really quite benign, not sure why someone would prefer to tolerate a repeated annoyance then input a simple proven command.

uscmatt99 wrote:
Mat thanks for this, a constant annoyance every time I put a card in the reader, will give it a shot tonight.

mitesh wrote:
Works like a charm, thanks!

mhp_sd wrote:
Thank you!!!!!

gregfountain wrote:
I've been a long time Apple user and this is one of things that is driving me to consider moving back to Windows..thanks for the tip.

You are all very welcome. It had bothered me for sometime!

Sep 18, 2016 at 01:21 PM
c.d.embrey
• • •
p.1 #12 · p.1 #12 · Apple Photos Auto Launch on Mac.....

For iPhones, it is much easier to stop, as the device is not formatted regularly.

But it is charged regularly BTW thankx for the disabling instructions.

As time goes on everything is now opt-out. YouTube and Vimoe automatically play the next video. Many sites play commercials when arrive at their site and in many cases there is no way to stop them. Recently I've been getting recommended for you messages. The list of annoyances is endless. The good thing about all this is that I spend a lot less time on the web

Sep 18, 2016 at 05:25 PM
helimat
• • • • •
p.1 #13 · p.1 #13 · Apple Photos Auto Launch on Mac.....

c.d.embrey wrote:
But it is charged regularly BTW thankx for the disabling instructions.

When you un-tick the box, Photos remembers that device, and does not auto-open when that device is connected. The difference between an iPhone and a memory card is that every time a memory card is formatted, Photos thinks it is a new device, and auto-opens again. I un-ticked the box eons ago for the iPhone, and it hasn't opened when I connected my phone once since. Wasn't the same story for the memory cards, hence the work-around.

Sep 18, 2016 at 10:17 PM
butchM
• • • • •
p.1 #14 · p.1 #14 · Apple Photos Auto Launch on Mac.....

helimat wrote:
The difference between an iPhone and a memory card is that every time a memory card is formatted, Photos thinks it is a new device, and auto-opens again.

That's not true for all cameras/brands ... or most cameras when you format the cards in-camera. It depends on how the camera formats the cards.

I set the preference in the Image Capture app once for each card and/or camera I use. Much like your method for iTunes and iPhones ... set it once and it is done.

Sep 19, 2016 at 09:24 AM
schlotz
• • • • •
p.1 #15 · p.1 #15 · Apple Photos Auto Launch on Mac.....

FWIW, Apple OSX appears to always check the UUID of the card when it's inserted. I know that a new UUID is written on any card that is reformatted in a Canon body. This is why ticking 'not this device' doesn't work. Oddly enough, my Sony a7R does not change the UUID during a reformat. Don't know about other manufacturers but based on this I believe our Apple folks' testing due-diligence was not effective prior to updating their OS.

The real PITA is that they still haven't fixed it and I'm not holding my breath the Sierra will either.

Sep 19, 2016 at 11:20 AM
artificialyello
• • •
p.1 #16 · p.1 #16 · Apple Photos Auto Launch on Mac.....

There is this free pane for the System Preferences, YMMV:

http://www.rubicode.com/Software/RCDefaultApp/

Oct 04, 2016 at 03:16 PM
OntheRez
• • • • •
p.1 #17 · p.1 #17 · Apple Photos Auto Launch on Mac.....

Perhaps I'm not particularly concerned about using the terminal due to (a now distant) familiarity with UNIX and Linux. The command listed by works perfectly. The only caution is to make sure you get it exactly right. Cut and past as Mat says. (If you don't get it correct odds are you get the "you're stupid" prompt," but there is a very small possibility of doing something you don't want.

If one were a masochist, one could dig down in /Library/… to the right pref and change it with vi or some such, but that's a real PITA.

As for Apple "steering" you towards their products and services, well we've been bombarded with advertising of all types as long as we've been alive. The only change is now they (and this includes every electronic vendor, not just Apple) can direct easily and if you don't pay attention, you can waste your time off in La La land. At the bottom of this page is an ad for "Superfly." Yeah, I'll click right on it. There are also ad blockers for most browsers. I haven't gotten it installed on this one yet.

Many of Apple's irritating traits can be altered at the command line. If you don't know what you're doing, look around to trusted sources and fixes are likely available.

As for other operating systems, over the years I've dealt with nearly all of them including some obscure ones (Anyone remember the CRAY?). UNIX - OS X is a UNIX shell/interface - is much easier to deal with than any of the others.

Robert

Oct 04, 2016 at 04:59 PM
atemplar

p.1 #18 · p.1 #18 · Apple Photos Auto Launch on Mac.....

Thanks - giving it a shot now!

Oct 05, 2016 at 12:22 AM
melcat
• • • •
p.1 #19 · p.1 #19 · Apple Photos Auto Launch on Mac.....

OntheRez wrote:
As for Apple "steering" you towards their products and services, well we've been bombarded with advertising of all types as long as we've been alive. The only change is now they (and this includes every electronic vendor, not just Apple) can direct easily...

Nonetheless, every time they do it I feel disrespected as a customer, and I don't think that's where Apple should be positioning themselves given the price points of their products. I upgraded my iPhone yesterday to iOS 10, and some iCloud setting had surreptitiously been turned on - every time that kind of thing happens, I feel like a new $750 phone would be less valuable to me.

In this particular case, there's clearly a constituency of people who needed to turn off Photos who are not necessarily comfortable with Terminal commands. Intentionally or not, Apple by their actions is sending them the message that they are less important as customers than auntie uploading her snaps. I say this as a former Unix sysadmin who likes the Mac partly because the Unix command line is there.

Oct 05, 2016 at 03:56 AM
OntheRez
• • • • •
p.1 #20 · p.1 #20 · Apple Photos Auto Launch on Mac.....

melcat wrote:
Nonetheless, every time they do it I feel disrespected as a customer, and I don't think that's where Apple should be positioning themselves given the price points of their products. I upgraded my iPhone yesterday to iOS 10, and some iCloud setting had surreptitiously been turned on - every time that kind of thing happens, I feel like a new $750 phone would be less valuable to me.

In this particular case, there's clearly a constituency of people who needed to turn off Photos who are not necessarily comfortable with Terminal commands. Intentionally or not, Apple by their actions is sending
...Show more

Mel,
I absolutely agree with you. I've always despised advertising in any form unless it actually provided some useful information which of course was quite rare. I can't remember EVER buying a product based on its ad claims or what in TV days were called "subliminal message." I don't drive a Chevy 4X 1/2 ton extended cab because of an advertisement - actually I don't own a TV. I bought it because it met my specifications based upon my expected use and hoped for performance. Obviously, the choice of anything is a compromise. Nothing is completely the way I want it. This is I think particularly true with computers and such gadgets.

No doubt, every time Apple "updates" its systems, they stick in something "better for us peons." Trying to jam me to iCloud is one of the big examples, but they've also made it harder to use any email provider other than the big 4. The finder default to not show drives and external devices on the desktop - absolute stupidity. I could go on but you likely have your own list. It's the "surprises" that fundamentally change some part of the interface or functionality I hate the most.

I think Apple's continued removal of "power user" controls and settings is particularly galling. I've hammered them with dozen or so "feature requests" on this theme. I truly wish they would listen and have a way for users to alter the interface in significant ways. I have no problem with them erecting a "Doom to all who enter here!" over the portal.

BTW I don't think its some much auntie unloading pix as much as the texter generation doing selfies they are appealing to.

Hate or not, we live in a world that makes us all "safe" but clamps down on those of us who want real tools and are willing to take the risks (and pay the costs) for modification and experimentation.

The ad beat goes on.

Robert

Oct 05, 2016 at 12:21 PM
       2       end

FM Forums | Post-processing & Printing | Join Upload & Sell

2       end

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.