Home · Register · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username  

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Nikon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2016 · Nikon 80-200mm 2.8 (push pull) lens collar?

Dustin Gent
• • • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Nikon 80-200mm 2.8 (push pull) lens collar?

So i just bought this fantastic lens from the B&S forums today. Figured it was finally time to get a second lens Anyways, this lens obviously doesn't have a lens collar. I know that kirk makes one, but frankly if i was going to spend $170, i would have put that towards the twin ring model.

There is a seller on eBay that claims the collar they sell fits the first two generations of this lens. I was also looking at lens collars for other lenses that would work with this lens, after some "adjustments". Also, i have seen some homemade ones. I shoot mostly landscapes, so it will be tripod mounted most of the time.

Here is the homemade one, and a a link to the one on eBay.

or do i really need one?

Sep 16, 2016 at 01:23 PM
NightOwl Cat
• • • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Nikon 80-200mm 2.8 (push pull) lens collar?

I had a push pull and used it without a collar. B&H has a collar too. I ran into the guy this summer that had bought my push/pull in 2013 and he still has it and is still loving it.

https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/554350-REG/Manfrotto_293_293_Telephoto_Lens_Support.html

Sep 16, 2016 at 03:26 PM
the solitaire
• • • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Nikon 80-200mm 2.8 (push pull) lens collar?

My advise, if you want to accidentally drop your lens, use the B&H product. It looks too flimsy for my typical use (hiking)

If you want to experience a sheared off tripod mount because the thread in the connection screw thread dissolved, pick up the ebay one. I think it's particularly trustworthy if you want to add a shoulderstrap mount like the black rapid to the lens mount.

The homemade one looks to be the most sturdy solution.

Of course the Kirk version is the only really nice one, but if I were to buy the 80-200 f2,8 as push/pull lens then that would be because it allows me to quickly focus and zoom manually. With any of these mounts the mount really gets in the way when changing focus or focal length.

So my advise would be to use the lens "as-is". It's fine. I own the twin ring version and it's not all that heavy and balances perfectly on a single digit Nikon DSLR

Sep 16, 2016 at 03:58 PM
Dustin Gent
• • • • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Nikon 80-200mm 2.8 (push pull) lens collar?

thanks everyone for the advise. I may change my mind once i get the lens and start using it. I have found some nice DYI solutions that i may try out for fun, since i like these types of projects

Sep 16, 2016 at 04:09 PM

FM Forums | Nikon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.