New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Fuji Forum | Join Upload & Sell

2       3       end

Fuji 16-55 images

MoparMan

Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Fuji 16-55 images

I see in other forums a lot of chatter about this lens. Some love it, while many other lament it. Saying it lacks "pop" or some sort of "magic"

Personally, I think, while being a mid range zoom, it quite fantastic. Yes, it tends to be the focal range I shoot the least, but I think it captures some fantastic images...Painter vs the Paintbrush

~original[/IMG]

~original[/IMG]

Sep 16, 2016 at 03:13 AM
traveler
• • • •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Fuji 16-55 images

I had a bad copy first time out, not capable of bring an entire frame into perfect focus. Others have shown me theirs WILL. So it went back. I will be getting another copy next week. If it doesn't impress I'll probably get a few primes to take up the slack. Sure hope it works though.

Sep 16, 2016 at 04:02 AM
Pat H.
• •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Fuji 16-55 images

In the not too distant past another forum member was regularly posting images he had made in Cuba with this lens. Superb stuff; no lack of pop or "magic".

I think besides what you've mentioned, the lack of OIS hurts its popularity.

Sep 16, 2016 at 04:10 AM
RobCD
• • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Fuji 16-55 images

MoparMan wrote:
I see in other forums a lot of chatter about this lens. Some love it, while many other lament it. Saying it lacks "pop" or some sort of "magic"

I've seen criticism of the size and lack of OIS along with some criticism of the software corrected distortion especially at 16mm but I haven't seen the comments about lack of IQ or pop or magic. Most of the criticism I've seen is by those that don't own the lens because of the reasons mentioned.

Sep 16, 2016 at 04:17 AM
rbf_
• • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Fuji 16-55 images

Pat H. wrote:
In the not too distant past another forum member was regularly posting images he had made in Cuba with this lens. Superb stuff; no lack of pop or "magic".

I think besides what you've mentioned, the lack of OIS hurts its popularity.

Yeah it's an awesome lens but the lack of OIS is what I think most people miss. Fuji's OIS is very good so it's noticeable when it"s not there

Sep 16, 2016 at 04:18 AM
rbf_
• • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Fuji 16-55 images

Here's some from my 16-55

X-E1    28mm    f/16.0    1/15s    200 ISO    0.0 EV  

X-E1    55mm    f/2.8    1/40s    2000 ISO    +0.3 EV  

X-Pro2    XF16-55mmF2.8 R LM WR lens    29mm    f/8.0    1/10s    1250 ISO    0.0 EV  

Sep 16, 2016 at 04:25 AM
MoparMan

p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · Fuji 16-55 images

RobCD wrote:
I've seen criticism of the size and lack of OIS along with some criticism of the software corrected distortion especially at 16mm but I haven't seen the comments about lack of IQ or pop or magic. Most of the criticism I've seen is by those that don't own the lens because of the reasons mentioned.

On another fuji forum there are people who criticize for the reasons I mentioned...and the size. Haven't heard complained about lack of OIS.

Personally, I don't find a need for OIS on this lens. I regularly rented the Nikon equivalent without VR, and much like this lens, it performed great. I think people get in their heads they NEED certain features they really don't....or they have shaky hands...

As for the size...yeah its "big and heavy" comparatively...but coming the FF DSLR world, this is nothing! HAHA. Grass is always greener I suppose.

Sep 16, 2016 at 04:39 AM
traveler
• • • •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · Fuji 16-55 images

The LAST thing I'd say is finding it "heavy". I found it solid and very balanced on the X-T2, especially with the grip attached. I'm looking forward to trying another hoping this one is the charm.

Sep 16, 2016 at 05:01 AM
MoparMan

p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · Fuji 16-55 images

traveler wrote:
The LAST thing I'd say is finding it "heavy". I found it solid and very balanced on the X-T2, especially with the grip attached. I'm looking forward to trying another hoping this one is the charm.

I agree...although the vertical grip is big and adds weight, too, haha.

Sep 16, 2016 at 05:03 AM
RobCD
• • •
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · Fuji 16-55 images

MoparMan wrote:
On another fuji forum there are people who criticize for the reasons I mentioned...and the size. Haven't heard complained about lack of OIS.

Personally, I don't find a need for OIS on this lens. I regularly rented the Nikon equivalent without VR, and much like this lens, it performed great. I think people get in their heads they NEED certain features they really don't....or they have shaky hands...

As for the size...yeah its "big and heavy" comparatively...but coming the FF DSLR world, this is nothing! HAHA. Grass is always greener I suppose.

Yeah, I was just commenting on what I've read about the 16-55. I have and love the 16-55 and agree 100% with your comments.

Sep 16, 2016 at 09:59 PM

Search in Used Dept. 

JustShootMe
• •
p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · Fuji 16-55 images

jpeg from 16-55 and X-T1

Sep 19, 2016 at 08:23 PM
cputeq
• • • • •
p.1 #12 · p.1 #12 · Fuji 16-55 images

JustShootMe wrote:
jpeg from 16-55 and X-T1

Great colors and clarity and a pretty model to boot!

I was about to ask how the heck you managed to matte your blacks (as in the wall behind her looks 'faded black)' but then noticed blacks (or near blacks) in her hair.

I've recently gifted my wife the XT10 to replace her D7000 kit for food photography...and she's got my doggone 18-55. I might just have to somehow work this lens in as my replacement

Sep 19, 2016 at 08:28 PM
JustShootMe
• •
p.1 #13 · p.1 #13 · Fuji 16-55 images

Thanks ... I no longer have this lens (took a break and sold it all) , but I'm thinking about picking it up again.

I'm having a hard time convincing myself to buy another one , I ordered the 90 this morning and already have the kit lens and Zeiss 32 ..... GAS in full effect

Sep 19, 2016 at 08:35 PM
Pat H.
• •
p.1 #14 · p.1 #14 · Fuji 16-55 images

JustShootMe wrote:
jpeg from 16-55 and X-T1

Even with that colorful and wild backdrop, she just pops. Great portrait

Sep 19, 2016 at 09:11 PM
acktdi

p.1 #15 · p.1 #15 · Fuji 16-55 images

My first time out with the X-T2 and 16-55. I'm kind of underwhelmed by the optical quality.
f4, 10s, 16mm, iso 1600. There is a lot more coma and CA compared to my Canon 5dm3 and 24-70ii.
The stars in the center are pinpoint but edges aren't great. I was expecting better.

I'll do some more shooting this weekend when the moon isn't as bright to see if it was a bad shot or maybe bad copy of lens.

Has anyone else shot stars with their X-T2 and 16-55?

Red Rock Canyon National Conservation Area, Las Vegas, NV

Sep 20, 2016 at 07:22 PM
svassh
• • •
p.1 #16 · p.1 #16 · Fuji 16-55 images

acktdi wrote:
My first time out with the X-T2 and 16-55. I'm kind of underwhelmed by the optical quality.
f4, 10s, 16mm, iso 1600. There is a lot more coma and CA compared to my Canon 5dm3 and 24-70ii.
The stars in the center are pinpoint but edges aren't great. I was expecting better.

I'll do some more shooting this weekend when the moon isn't as bright to see if it was a bad shot or maybe bad copy of lens.

Thats a pretty TALL order to compare a APS-C body and lens to one of Canon's best ever combinations. I think you may need to lower your expectations a bit.

Sep 20, 2016 at 08:00 PM
acktdi

p.1 #17 · p.1 #17 · Fuji 16-55 images

Yeah perhaps I bought into the hype of how good the 16-55 is.

Sep 20, 2016 at 08:11 PM
traveler
• • • •
p.1 #18 · p.1 #18 · Fuji 16-55 images

I tried a 16-55 but sent it back. Couldn't even get an entire frame in perfect focus. Today I took delivery of the so called inferior 18-135 OIS. I've had the kit 18-55 and it was no way sharper than this is. The OIS on this is far superior for starters. Also I don't have an issue getting an entire frame in focus if I want to. The bokeh is not the best there is but not the worst either. Sharpness and contrast are not too bad at all. The OIS however is exceptional. I'm shooting a 1/6th sec no issues at all. I'd post samples here but they dont' allow the full sizes like Dpreview does, and I have them over there.

Sep 20, 2016 at 08:39 PM
cputeq
• • • • •
p.1 #19 · p.1 #19 · Fuji 16-55 images

acktdi wrote:

NIce shot regardless

I'd recommend trying the 16/1.4 for astro. If you want I can give some samples at different apertures. Coma at f/1.4 but at f/2 it shapes up nicely (still a bit but not enough to bug me) and CA I'm unsure of but seems virtually none.

I live near a big city so light pollution will be there, but should still be able to get some stars.

This is with the XT10 though - unsure if XT2 will show more lens flaws.

Sep 23, 2016 at 03:53 AM
traveler
• • • •
p.1 #20 · p.1 #20 · Fuji 16-55 images

I ended up returning the 18-135 on a gamble I could get a good copy of the 16-55 f2.8 which is what I truly wanted. I got fortunate after receiving it today and testing it out, indeed it's a great copy doing what it should. Sharp all over when I need it to be but giving me great bokeh when I want that as well. The colors are just a notch up on this bad boy. Glad I persevered on this one. My collection is now complete

traveler 2016

shot at f5.6 out my back deck

traveler 2016

Flowers in our front taken wide open f2.8

Sep 23, 2016 at 04:15 AM
       2       3       end

FM Forums | Fuji Forum | Join Upload & Sell

2       3       end

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username     Reset password