Home · Register · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username  

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Trip Location Advice & Meet-ups | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2016 · One sleepy day in Paris... :)

charlesk
• • • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · One sleepy day in Paris... :)

Hi all,

This coming Monday I am at a work conference in Paris. My plane arrives early Sunday, and I will be tired from jet lag (plus I can't sleep on planes) but I'm not going to sit in a hotel lobby when I'm in Paris for the first time (and who knows when again).

I'm primarily a nature/landscape guy and don't really do cities. But I would love to find some cool stuff to shoot for the day that will be scenic, cool or otherwise interesting. I will not have a car so I will need to walk or use public transportation.

My hotel is between the 13th and 14th arrondissements, and I'll be coming from the airport.

Any thoughts appreciated... either for one specific area I could tour for the day, or a short itinerary that would be worthwhile.

Merci beaucoup!

Sep 15, 2016 at 04:03 PM
Fred Amico
• • • • •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · One sleepy day in Paris... :)

Paging G. Dan Mitchell...

Sep 15, 2016 at 05:23 PM
GroovyGeek
• • • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · One sleepy day in Paris... :)

There was a topic like this just a few days ago, it should still be on the front page. As for cool stuff to shoot, just head in any direction near the center of Paris and keep your eyes open. You are bound to find stuff, though it is likely to be more of the intimate than scenic kind.

The routine "scenic" things in Paris are ultra wide angle shots from the base of the Eiffel tower or from corners of the pyramid. Montmartre is high above the city with the city below bathed in soft light during sunset, so scenics at sunset are certainly possible. Shots from the Notre Dame towers from judiciously chosen angles that make the gargoyles look like they are about to pounce on poor Parisiens can also be interesting, even if not entirely original. Montmarte attacts a HUGE crowd at sunset which usually means street performers. During one of my visits there was a guy with a soccer ball who had climbed on one of the lamp posts doing acrobatics, with a tighthtly framed shot it looked like he was hovering above the skyline.

Other than that, there are innumerable narrow streets and charming courtyards that present all sorts of opportunities for intimate/detail shots.

Sep 16, 2016 at 01:00 AM
mdude85
• • • • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · One sleepy day in Paris... :)

I can't quite tell if you want to explore the city or not (because you said you're not really into cities) but if not then I might suggest a trip out to Versailles. If you are in the 13 or 14th arr. then you can get out there in about 45 minutes by train. The terminal station (Gare du Versailles... pretty obvious ) is about a 5-10 minute walk from the entrance to the palace. The palace is obviously something but there are also many gardens, fountains, and wooded areas to explore.

Sep 16, 2016 at 09:53 AM
gdanmitchell
• • • • • • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · One sleepy day in Paris... :)

Fred Amico wrote:
Paging G. Dan Mitchell...

The OP PM'ed me and I replied — and he has my permission to share my brief recommendations here. :-)

Dan

Sep 16, 2016 at 11:52 AM
jdc562
• • • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · One sleepy day in Paris... :)

Something I found surprisingly interesting in Paris were the small architectural details. Unlike many other big old cities, Paris is very well preserved at the small scale--scales as in macro and just above macro views up to maybe several feet to a few meters across. For example, look at the motifs in the cast iron work of the art nouveau period. The hardware on doors and windows. The table place settings at the old outdoor cafes. Reflections in windows. Layers of paint centuries old. And so on. The older parts of Paris are rich in these details and the old areas are quickly and easily accessible by the Metro. The inside of Notre Dame is also rich in interesting small details, such as those in the side chapels. and so on..... Photographs of most of the big views have now become overdone and boring.... but the smaller views have a lot of the real feeling of Paris.

Sep 16, 2016 at 05:22 PM

FM Forums | Trip Location Advice & Meet-ups | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.