Home · Register · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username  

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

end

Archive 2016 · Thought on touch screen implemented in the 5D Mk IV?

Jeff Simpson
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.2 #1 · p.2 #1 · Thought on touch screen implemented in the 5D Mk IV?

Milan Hutera wrote:
Duh... I understand how swiping works. I just want to know can in possibly be faster than using big back dial, which, as I said, is lightning fast and we've had this function since the dawn of digital.

the speed between touch swiping and using the dial doesn't even matter. gotta think bigger, there are many way ways to use the touch screen to your advantage.

Sep 17, 2016 at 09:56 AM
bootster
• •
p.2 #2 · p.2 #2 · Thought on touch screen implemented in the 5D Mk IV?

"experienced shooters can customize the 5D's buttons and custom functions to shoot quickly without using the screen"

I don't quite understand why you wouldn't want to investigate something that was implemented just for the sole purpose of making things faster for the user, "experienced" or not. Is this suggesting that only the "inexperienced" shooter would want to use the touch screen?

Sep 17, 2016 at 10:02 AM
Greg Schneider
• • •
p.2 #3 · p.2 #3 · Thought on touch screen implemented in the 5D Mk IV?

Double tap for 100% magnification would be very useful.

Sep 17, 2016 at 11:36 AM
bootster
• •
p.2 #4 · p.2 #4 · Thought on touch screen implemented in the 5D Mk IV?

Greg Schneider wrote:
Double tap for 100% magnification would be very useful.

Pinching the area you want to zoom into and then just moving the picture around with your finger "is" THE fastest method of zooming in, or "chimping" possible. Try it, and get back to us.

Sep 17, 2016 at 12:24 PM
anscochrome
• • •
p.2 #5 · p.2 #5 · Thought on touch screen implemented in the 5D Mk IV?

nandadevieast wrote:
It ahould have been like 80D screen. Fully articulating.

I am beginning to lose hope the articulating screen will appear in ANY FF body. Several people close to the industry have told me "weather-robustness" is the official excuse why it still has not made a FF body appearance. I love it with my 80D as well, it can really spoil you for odd angle/tripod use. And I do not shoot video. I don't buy the excuse myself, but there it is.

Sep 17, 2016 at 12:32 PM
bootster
• •
p.2 #6 · p.2 #6 · Thought on touch screen implemented in the 5D Mk IV?

One of the things you can do that's not quite as effective as the swivel screen is to use your tablet/cellphone as a wireless capture device and use that to frame the picture with. It isn't nearly as convenient as having the "articulating screen", but it works in a pinch.

Sep 17, 2016 at 12:39 PM
EB-1
• • • • • • •
p.2 #7 · p.2 #7 · Thought on touch screen implemented in the 5D Mk IV?

I don't care for the touch screens in general, but I hope use is optional and not required for some functions. It's a problem with gloves and cold, rainy weather.

A tilting screen would be fine I there is not too much real estate lost for buttons.
The controls of the 80D are worse, but some of that is the smaller body to begin with.

EBH

Sep 17, 2016 at 12:51 PM
bootster
• •
p.2 #8 · p.2 #8 · Thought on touch screen implemented in the 5D Mk IV?

A tilting screen loses no "real estate", as you would know if you have a 80D. The touch screen is defeatable, but the menu buttons are ALWAYS accessible, as they never turn off their access. The only reason to defeat the TS, in my view, would be in case you accidentally touch the screen and initiate a menu function inadvertently.

EDIT: EB-1, I can see what you mean about the "real estate" since all of the buttons are on the left, as opposed to the 80D whose are on the right. They would have to figure out where to move the buttons to be functionable while the articulating screen is in use. I would imagine anyway.

Sep 17, 2016 at 12:59 PM
EB-1
• • • • • • •
p.2 #9 · p.2 #9 · Thought on touch screen implemented in the 5D Mk IV?

After playing with the touch screen a bit, it does have some uses.
I should put a favorites menu item to get to the disable mode quickly when needed.

EBH

Sep 17, 2016 at 03:18 PM
Greg Schneider
• • •
p.2 #10 · p.2 #10 · Thought on touch screen implemented in the 5D Mk IV?

bootster wrote:
Pinching the area you want to zoom into and then just moving the picture around with your finger "is" THE fastest method of zooming in, or "chimping" possible. Try it, and get back to us.

I'd disagree, especially if the need is to assess focus by going to a consistent zoom level quickly. Pinch to zoom is certainly great for most uses.

Sep 17, 2016 at 06:29 PM
Milan Hutera
• • • • •
p.2 #11 · p.2 #11 · Thought on touch screen implemented in the 5D Mk IV?

Jeff Simpson wrote:
the speed between touch swiping and using the dial doesn't even matter. gotta think bigger, there are many way ways to use the touch screen to your advantage.

Yes, the live view focusing by touching the area you want to focus on is a great feature. But the OP I was reacting to was talking specifically about swiping. Every reviewer stated on 1DxII that "they want to swipe" - because that feature was not implemented on 1DxII touchscreen. And I'm asking what's the *practical* point when we already have a much faster and much cleaner way (did I mention I have large sweaty hands?)

Sep 18, 2016 at 04:26 AM
       end

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

end

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.