Home · Register · Software · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username  

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

2       end

Thought on touch screen implemented in the 5D Mk IV?

bootster
• •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Thought on touch screen implemented in the 5D Mk IV?

I am an advocate and wanted to know if any of you who are familiar with the Mk III are seeing the newly implemented touch screen a beneficial feature of the new camera?

I have been familiar with the touchscreen since the 70D, and I am really glad to see it being used now on the 5D line, and the 1D line for that matter. The ability to zoom in by simply "grabbing" the picture on the screen and having it instantly zoom to the area you want to view in an instant is a huge plus for me, and I really miss this feature on the full frame bodies without this feature. I also really like the menu system to be able to be manipulated by just touching the screen to change the options. I find it to speed up my workflow to the point that I am constantly trying to touch the screen of my 6D and am disappointed that I have to manually set parameters and zoom in, now that I have gotten used to the touch screen interface.

Sep 15, 2016 at 06:19 PM
ardvorak
• • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Thought on touch screen implemented in the 5D Mk IV?

It's a feature that I discounted when reading about it, but now love. Even just flipping through the images while chimping is that much more easy.

Sep 15, 2016 at 06:29 PM
nandadevieast
• • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Thought on touch screen implemented in the 5D Mk IV?

It ahould have been like 80D screen. Fully articulating.

Sep 15, 2016 at 06:43 PM
bootster
• •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Thought on touch screen implemented in the 5D Mk IV?

nandadevieast wrote:
It ahould have been like 80D screen. Fully articulating.

I agree. Other than the weatherproof problems that may occur with this design, there is a lot to like with the articulating screen. The main complaint about it is that it is one weak link in an otherwise robust camera. My answer is, don't use it! 90% of the time when using the 80D, I just flip the screen around and use it like the normal camera fixed screen. The BIG advantage is being able to flip it closed when not in use to protect the screen while in transit. I find that this design of the articulating screen is a good one, as it comes in handy, and allows me to get shots that are impossible without it.

I will be keeping my 80D, as a compliment to the 5D Mk IV when I get it. If I "need" the articulating screen, I will use that camera. I love the 80D, and it may be because of the touch screen and the articulating feature. My bet is it will be available on the 6D II.

As far as people who may not like using the touch screen interface, there is the option to turn it off in the menu, although when I saw it was defeatable, I just laughed and asked myself why you would ever defeat such a remarkably useful feature.

Sep 15, 2016 at 07:05 PM
Milan Hutera
• • • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Thought on touch screen implemented in the 5D Mk IV?

ardvorak wrote:
It's a feature that I discounted when reading about it, but now love. Even just flipping through the images while chimping is that much more easy.

Care to elaborate? Because using a big back wheel to "flip through the images" is lightning fast.

Sep 15, 2016 at 07:24 PM
Dpedraza
• • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Thought on touch screen implemented in the 5D Mk IV?

I can take it or leave it. Personally don't care about touch screen and I def hate articulating screens

Sep 15, 2016 at 07:31 PM
Dpedraza
• • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · Thought on touch screen implemented in the 5D Mk IV?

Milan Hutera wrote:
Care to elaborate? Because using a big back wheel to "flip through the images" is lightning fast.

while looking at your images swipe left or right and it moves to the next or previous

https://www.flickr.com/photos/danpedraza/shares/n5Q6Ce

Sep 15, 2016 at 07:35 PM
Milan Hutera
• • • •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · Thought on touch screen implemented in the 5D Mk IV?

Dpedraza wrote:
while looking at your images swipe left or right and it moves to the next or previous

https://www.flickr.com/photos/danpedraza/shares/n5Q6Ce

Duh... I understand how swiping works. I just want to know can in possibly be faster than using big back dial, which, as I said, is lightning fast and we've had this function since the dawn of digital.

Sep 15, 2016 at 08:18 PM
Dpedraza
• • •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · Thought on touch screen implemented in the 5D Mk IV?

Milan Hutera wrote:
Duh... I understand how swiping works. I just want to know can in possibly be faster than using big back dial, which, as I said, is lightning fast and we've had this function since the dawn of digital.

well maybe some prefer the swiping method vs the dial. I mean if your fingers are already on the screen why move them right?

Sep 15, 2016 at 08:27 PM
garyvot
• • • •
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · Thought on touch screen implemented in the 5D Mk IV?

Milan Hutera wrote:

I agree with you, but it probably doesn't matter whether it's faster or not. Some people like the direct manipulation of a touch panel, and are more comfortable using it. It seems to a net gain without real downsides, since the tried and true methods still work.

Sep 15, 2016 at 08:40 PM

Search in Used Dept. 

Shutterbug2006
• • •
p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · Thought on touch screen implemented in the 5D Mk IV?

I can see the LCD being very useful for focusing in live view and for reviewing images. It would not be a reason for me to upgrade to a new camera.

Sep 15, 2016 at 08:45 PM
ardvorak
• • •
p.1 #12 · p.1 #12 · Thought on touch screen implemented in the 5D Mk IV?

Milan Hutera wrote:

Hi Milan, I agree that it may not be as fast. But there is an appeal to being able to swipe through an image and then just reverse-pinch to zoom in one action. The flexibility of zooming is helpful to me when I'd like to check various parts of a frame.

Sep 15, 2016 at 09:01 PM
EB-1
• • • • • • •
p.1 #13 · p.1 #13 · Thought on touch screen implemented in the 5D Mk IV?

I disembodied it.

EBH

Sep 15, 2016 at 09:51 PM
bootster
• •
p.1 #14 · p.1 #14 · Thought on touch screen implemented in the 5D Mk IV?

I haven't seen anyone who considered the option of using it for some tasks and not using it for others. That, to me, is very telling.

I bought a refrigerator that has pull out shelves. You can pull out the shelf to make it a lot easier to get at the items on the shelf. I never think to pull the shelf out, even though I can see it being an advantage, I just don't do it for some reason. That was 20 years ago.

I have found the touch screen to be slower to get through a bunch of frames fast, to get to the previous ones that are more than 10 or 20 frames back. I use the dial for that. I am usually reviewing the frames to see what I am shooting at the present time, so I use the TS. Like was mentioned before, your finger is already on the screen, so it seems like a natural motion to just keep it there. I still say that it's faster to use the TS to pinch to zoom then use the conventional method.

As far as the menu options go, it is definetely faster (for me) to hit the "Q" button and go right to an option through the TS, as you touch it and it's "right there" in front of you, instantly. As I've been using the TS, I have gotten really efficient with it, and I get faster with it everytime I use it. The one I loved was the fact that I can touch the exposure compensation on the 80D and then just slide it back and forth with my finger, something I couldn't do on the 70D, and it was frustrating not to be able to do that on the 70D. When I got my 80D, it was enabled, and I absolutely know that it is faster to slide the compensation bar with my finger, than to have to go back to the button interface to change it. That one feature of the TS put a big smile on my face, and it still does.

Sep 15, 2016 at 10:26 PM
Bruce Sawle
• • • •
p.1 #15 · p.1 #15 · Thought on touch screen implemented in the 5D Mk IV?

i like the zoom capabilities of the touch screen.

Sep 15, 2016 at 10:26 PM
Future Man
• •
p.1 #16 · p.1 #16 · Thought on touch screen implemented in the 5D Mk IV?

I don't see myself using it that much, but I haven't really used my 5D IV that much yet so we'll see. It certainly is not faster to review photos unless I'm missing some way to use it.

I did read about mapping the magnification glass to zoom directly to the focus point which I want to look into. Is that a custom function you need to set in the menu, or does it do it automatically?

Sep 15, 2016 at 10:53 PM
mp0363
• •
p.1 #17 · p.1 #17 · Thought on touch screen implemented in the 5D Mk IV?

yea. chimping is great but for actually shooting in live view it's a frustrating design compromise

Sep 16, 2016 at 01:04 AM
Pixel Perfect
• • • • • • •
p.1 #18 · p.1 #18 · Thought on touch screen implemented in the 5D Mk IV?

bootster wrote:
I agree. Other than the weatherproof problems that may occur with this design, there is a lot to like with the articulating screen.

Nikon forgot to get that memo when they built the D500, their rugged action cam.

Sep 16, 2016 at 03:06 AM
Daan B
• • • • •
p.1 #19 · p.1 #19 · Thought on touch screen implemented in the 5D Mk IV?

Milan Hutera wrote:

Not only that.. but one button push will show 100% on the AF target very fast.

However, touch screen will be helpful going through the menu's and for tapping focus in video mode or LiveView. It is nice to have I guess, but not a deal breaker.

Sep 16, 2016 at 10:20 PM
UCSB
• • • •
p.1 #20 · p.1 #20 · Thought on touch screen implemented in the 5D Mk IV?

It is a nice feature and I hope Canon continues to add it in their new bodies. But, experienced shooters can customize the 5D's buttons and custom functions to shoot quickly without using the screen ... or at least that is my goal when using the camera. I hope Canon continues to evolve the custom functions on the 5D line.

Sep 17, 2016 at 04:50 AM
       2       end

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

2       end

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username     Reset password