New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2016 · Did anyone see the PetaPIxel post about Fuji XT-2 vs 5DsR

Pixel Perfect
• • • • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Did anyone see the PetaPIxel post about Fuji XT-2 vs 5DsR

This is causing some robust discussions

http://petapixel.com/2016/09/14/fuji-x-t2-sharper-canon-5ds-r-preliminary-side-side-comparison/

Sep 14, 2016 at 10:43 PM
dtolios
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Did anyone see the PetaPIxel post about Fuji XT-2 vs 5DsR

First of all I have to say that I have little doubt that the XT2 can produce super sharp results. Lenses are pretty good, AA-less sensor is pretty good, pixel density is as high as the competition can offer currently. I am happily impressed with my XE2, so I would guess the newer sensor with more MP and a more powerful lens than my 35 / 27 lenses will do fine.

AF accuracy, like with most MILC cameras can also be very good.

But - if I can read the exif corrently, they shot those 2 pictures @ 1/60 sec ... i.e. a bit too slow for "conclusive" results other than that the 50-140 is a very potent lens.

I would dare to say that if they had dropped a few samples taken by 100MP MF cameras (ballpark similar pixel density), we would not be able to tell apart the images.

At leasts sharpness wise if things were apples to apples, but where there? Cause I thought the Northorp duo was constantly preaching on that f/2.8 with APS-C is not f/2.8 with FF and to the same extend MF.

So, what are we left with that we did not know already? That the XT2's eye tracking is also working to Tony's liking...and...

Sep 14, 2016 at 11:53 PM
Pixel Perfect
• • • • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Did anyone see the PetaPIxel post about Fuji XT-2 vs 5DsR

Northrup is posting to the thread, claims the 1/60 is not causing any softness, that he took lot's of shots and this is best. Yes comments on why the Canon wasn't shot at f/4.

Given the similar pixel density, why didn't he shoot with same FL and just crop the eyes they would have almost been same size at 100%

Sep 15, 2016 at 12:05 AM
dtolios
• • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Did anyone see the PetaPIxel post about Fuji XT-2 vs 5DsR

They did post a sample @ same FL too apparently - but again, not equivalent f/stop and the bokeh does say that:

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/CsUCBakWAAQo8C0.jpg

In this case the DOF is more pronounced different: in the Fuji shot the ears are much sharper, and ofc the background busier.

Between slow shutter speed and perhaps "worse" flare resistance @ for the much bigger front element of the 70-200 II (or a less than stellar copy?), I don't see much to talk about: we already knew that great APS-C bodies do great with the proper glass and good light.

Also note the colors & tonality of skin...

No doubt, the XT2 is an amazing camera, but what's the point we are trying to make again

Edited on Sep 15, 2016 at 12:30 AM · View previous versions

Sep 15, 2016 at 12:22 AM
johnctharp
• • • • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Did anyone see the PetaPIxel post about Fuji XT-2 vs 5DsR

A really poorly thought-out comparison on PetaPixel and involving Northrup? You don't say .

In use, there may be very little difference- and in use, there's very little difference between a 1D X and a Rebel if the Rebel also gets the shot.

Let's see the shots that the X-T2 doesn't get, and compare sharpness again; further, let's shoot for wall-sized output, and then compare with a magnifying glass and see which print produces better detail.

And let's not give these people any more clicks.

Sep 15, 2016 at 12:24 AM
Paul Mo
• • • • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Did anyone see the PetaPIxel post about Fuji XT-2 vs 5DsR

johnctharp wrote:
And let's not give these people any more clicks.

He'll be loving it - especially his next check from YouTube.

Sep 15, 2016 at 12:30 AM
EB-1
• • • • • • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · Did anyone see the PetaPIxel post about Fuji XT-2 vs 5DsR

To properly compare the cameras the same lens should be used, such as a third party macro, and the target should be planar with controlled lighting.

24MP is fine for some purposes, but it's not 50MP by a long shot.

EBH

Sep 15, 2016 at 12:58 AM
PhilDrinkwater
• • • •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · Did anyone see the PetaPIxel post about Fuji XT-2 vs 5DsR

I've uncovered so many technical inaccuracies from that channel .. I now don't believe anything.

Sep 15, 2016 at 01:37 AM
RobDickinson
• • • •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · Did anyone see the PetaPIxel post about Fuji XT-2 vs 5DsR

a controlled accurate scientific test wouldnt generate the traffic or the $$

Sep 15, 2016 at 01:39 AM
dtolios
• • •
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · Did anyone see the PetaPIxel post about Fuji XT-2 vs 5DsR

Well, its just for people with APS-C cameras to shout "FF = sour grapes", and stroke their ego for "not spending the extra money".

Again, the XT2 doesn't do much the XT1 or even better the A6000 could not do a long time now.
And for many styles of photography and repo sizes (especially images for Twitter) it is true that there is no perceivable difference.

Nothing new. But the same crew that will tear their leggings running around forums and bragging about the XT2 and how it trumps FF, is probably beaching that the 1.7 crop for 4K in the 5D4 is a deal breaker...

Meanwhile amazing images were produced with 2MP APS-C DSLRs 25y ago.

http://1.bp.blogspot.com/_P-liTl9crEo/S84njUD_LII/AAAAAAAAAQA/k_mpXQIE4Sw/s1600/Yannis_Behrakis3.jpg

We could scrutinize the relative technical obsolescence of those cameras Ad nauseam (OMG, I would totally recover the face of that lady THROUGH THE FABRIC with current DR), cause interwebs...

Sep 15, 2016 at 01:54 AM
Sorbet
• •
p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · Did anyone see the PetaPIxel post about Fuji XT-2 vs 5DsR

PhilDrinkwater wrote:
I've uncovered so many technical inaccuracies from that channel .. I now don't believe anything.

Agreed!

Sep 15, 2016 at 02:18 AM
alundeb
• • • • •
p.1 #12 · p.1 #12 · Did anyone see the PetaPIxel post about Fuji XT-2 vs 5DsR

That has nothing to do with the "sharpness of the cameras". It is so obvious that this is caused by other factors, that I wall call it a lie posting it under that headline. And I mean both TN and PetaPixel. As posted here, it is fine.

We had the same kind of crap about the 16 MP X-trans APS-C sensors, that they outresolved the Canon 5D II. It did not hold under scrutiny of course.

This is what the cameras resolving capabilites look like, just for reference.

I selected "JPG" for the X-trans files, because the in-camera processing gives much more detail than raw files converted with ACR for X-trans.

Sep 15, 2016 at 03:36 AM

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.