FM Forums | Sony Forum | Join Upload & Sell

1       2       3              47      
       49              55       56       end

Official: Loxia 85mm f/2.4 announced at $1,399

Luvwine
• • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.48 #1 · p.48 #1 · Official: Loxia 85mm f/2.4 announced at $1,399

I suspect that most folks do value autofocus. The Batis 85 will likely sell more, the GM 85 is the portrait specific logical choice, but this seems like the best optically, most versatile (portrait to infinity), and well rounded option for Sony mount. Whether this is enough to sell well, I don't know, but I have to think Zeiss knows how many other Loxia lenses they have sold. For those who have bought one or more of the other Loxia lenses, this is a logical complement.

Jan 11, 2017 at 04:19 AM
philip_pj
• • • •
p.48 #2 · p.48 #2 · Official: Loxia 85mm f/2.4 announced at $1,399

'this seems like the best optically, most versatile (portrait to infinity), and well rounded option'
If you are describing the L85, indeed true. What Zeiss have done here is remarkable - in the recent period, CZ have produced three remarkable 85mm lenses and all of them are fabulous, all very different markets, all top of the tree.

It's doubtful they care much for the fashions and fads in lens preferences; you can do that when you are the industry's technical leader. They will press ahead churning out more stellar Loxia optics. What is the extent of user cross-over between AF and MF? Hard to know, there are whole threads with every post talking AF, and nothing but AF.

My L85 got here yesterday, it is probably the densest lens (mass/volume) I have ever held, with beautiful machining. CZ know their users will learn to deal with the thin aperture ring, rather similar to the RX1 Sonnar (which also should have arguably been manual focus). The full length focus ring works well because of the perfect level of damping.

Jan 12, 2017 at 12:46 AM
Steve Spencer
• • • • • •
p.48 #3 · p.48 #3 · Official: Loxia 85mm f/2.4 announced at $1,399

philip_pj wrote:
'this seems like the best optically, most versatile (portrait to infinity), and well rounded option'
If you are describing the L85, indeed true. What Zeiss have done here is remarkable - in the recent period, CZ have produced three remarkable 85mm lenses and all of them are fabulous, all very different markets, all top of the tree.

It's doubtful they care much for the fashions and fads in lens preferences; you can do that when you are the industry's technical leader. They will press ahead churning out more stellar Loxia optics. What is the extent of user cross-over between AF and
...Show more

Actually it is four excellent 85s in the last two years. IMO, the Loxia, Batis, Otus, and Milvus are all excellent.

Jan 12, 2017 at 12:59 AM
genji
• • •
p.48 #4 · p.48 #4 · Official: Loxia 85mm f/2.4 announced at $1,399

philip_pj wrote:
My L85 got here yesterday, it is probably the densest lens (mass/volume) I have ever held, with beautiful machining. CZ know their users will learn to deal with the thin aperture ring, rather similar to the RX1 Sonnar (which also should have arguably been manual focus). The full length focus ring works well because of the perfect level of damping.

---------------------------------------------

Luvwine wrote:
I suspect that most folks do value autofocus. The Batis 85 will likely sell more, the GM 85 is the portrait specific logical choice, but this seems like the best optically, most versatile (portrait to infinity), and well rounded option for Sony mount. Whether this is enough to sell well, I don't know, but I have to think Zeiss knows how many other Loxia lenses they have sold. For those who have bought one or more of the other Loxia lenses, this is a logical complement.

From reviews and user reports I'd expected the L85 to be heavy but I wasn't prepared for either its density or perfectly damped focus ring. The only comparably dense lenses I have ever owned were the Distagon 60/3.5 CF and Planar 100/.35 CF for the Hasselblad 500/CM.

I already had the Loxia 50mm and using the L85 just makes me want to have a third Loxia lens. Unfortunately 21mm is way too wide for my use and the 35mm Loxia is absurdly overpriced, given its decidedly mixed reputation. If only the L35 had been a new Distagon design rather a warmed over Biogon ZM. Now I'll have to wait for (hopefully) an L28 or perhaps an L135.

Jan 12, 2017 at 02:57 AM
Luvwine
• • •
p.48 #5 · p.48 #5 · Official: Loxia 85mm f/2.4 announced at $1,399

genji wrote:

From reviews and user reports I'd expected the L85 to be heavy but I wasn't prepared for either its density or perfectly damped focus ring. The only comparably dense lenses I have ever owned were the Distagon 60/3.5 CF and Planar 100/.35 CF for the Hasselblad 500/CM.

I already had the Loxia 50mm and using the L85 just makes me want to have a third Loxia lens. Unfortunately 21mm is way too wide for my use and the 35mm Loxia is absurdly overpriced, given its decidedly mixed reputation. If only the L35 had been a new Distagon design rather a warmed
...Show more

I have skipped the Loxia 35 and got the ZM 35/1.4 instead. The Loxia 21 is a gem. Too bad you don't like the focal length.

Jan 12, 2017 at 03:34 AM
digital_AM
• •
p.48 #6 · p.48 #6 · Official: Loxia 85mm f/2.4 announced at $1,399

genji, get the Loxia 21. It's excellent and not as wide as you think.

Jan 12, 2017 at 04:19 AM
kaioyang

Upload & Sell: Off
p.48 #7 · p.48 #7 · Official: Loxia 85mm f/2.4 announced at $1,399

I too have skipped the Loxia 35. Got the other Loxias now.

Jan 12, 2017 at 04:44 AM
DannyBurkPhoto
• •
p.48 #8 · p.48 #8 · Official: Loxia 85mm f/2.4 announced at $1,399

The 21 is just marvelous. I got it to replace my big ZE 21, and it's such a pleasure to find something in which there are no downsides. Smaller, lighter, 52mm filters, less expensive, and better image quality. Plus, if you crop to 4:5 or square, as I often do, it's less wide but gives expansive height to your composition.

Jan 12, 2017 at 04:51 AM
genji
• • •
p.48 #9 · p.48 #9 · Official: Loxia 85mm f/2.4 announced at $1,399

Luvwine wrote:
I have skipped the Loxia 35 and got the ZM 35/1.4 instead. The Loxia 21 is a gem. Too bad you don't like the focal length.

digital_AM wrote:
genji, get the Loxia 21. It's excellent and not as wide as you think.

kaioyang wrote:
I too have skipped the Loxia 35. Got the other Loxias now.

DannyBurkPhoto wrote:
The 21 is just marvelous. I got it to replace my big ZE 21, and it's such a pleasure to find something in which there are no downsides. Smaller, lighter, 52mm filters, less expensive, and better image quality. Plus, if you crop to 4:5 or square, as I often do, it's less wide but gives expansive height to your composition.

This is starting to look like a coordinated effort! But I have a Elmarit-R 19/2.8 V2 that I never use because 28mm is as wide as I like to go. If I got the L21 then it would be too close to the L28 that I really, really want (and am confident will eventually be released).

As for for the ZM 35/1.4 , I've had a local online store's page for that lens open in a tab for a couple of weeks now, which is a very bad sign. And every time I look at pictures in the FE Images thread taken with that lens, I'm tempted again. But I already have an RX1R II so I manage to resist.

Jan 12, 2017 at 05:22 AM
Luvwine
• • •
p.48 #10 · p.48 #10 · Official: Loxia 85mm f/2.4 announced at $1,399

genji wrote:

This is starting to look like a coordinated effort! But I have a Elmarit-R 19/2.8 V2 that I never use because 28mm is as wide as I like to go. If I got the L21 then it would be too close to the L28 that I really, really want (and am confident will eventually be released).

As for for the ZM 35/1.4 , I've had a local online store's page for that lens open in a tab for a couple of weeks now, which is a very bad sign. And every time I look at pictures in the FE Images thread
...Show more

Last effort, but trust me when I tell you that 21 is a long way from 28. You could then sell the 19mm you don't use, lol.

Jan 12, 2017 at 05:58 AM

Search in Used Dept. 

DannyBurkPhoto
• •
p.48 #11 · p.48 #11 · Official: Loxia 85mm f/2.4 announced at $1,399

The Loxia 21 is so nice that you will want to use it

Like you, I continue to be tempted by the ZM 35/1.4. It's not that I need another 35. I have a ZE 35/1.4 which has lovely rendering but is big, heavy, and needs an adapter. A few months ago, I bought Fred's Loxia 35. So I should be all set...but the ZM's rendering is soooo nice...

Jan 12, 2017 at 06:02 AM
digital_AM
• •
p.48 #12 · p.48 #12 · Official: Loxia 85mm f/2.4 announced at $1,399

Add me to the list of those tempted by the ZM 35 f1.4!

Jan 12, 2017 at 06:10 AM
Fred Miranda
Admin
p.48 #13 · p.48 #13 · Official: Loxia 85mm f/2.4 announced at $1,399

DannyBurkPhoto wrote:

Like you, I continue to be tempted by the ZM 35/1.4. It's not that I need another 35. I have a ZE 35/1.4 which has lovely rendering but is big, heavy, and needs an adapter. A few months ago, I bought Fred's Loxia 35. So I should be all set...but the ZM's rendering is soooo nice...

The ZM 35/1.4 is a step above the Loxia 35/2 even though it was not designed for the Sony's sensor stack. (needs f/6.3 or smaller for sharp corners)
However it is bigger and costs more...It's my main landscape/people lens currently.

I know what you mean but the ZE/ZF line. It's superb glass but kind of big with an adapter. I have the ZF 28/2 and love its rendering but with an adapter it's about 630g. A Loxia 28 at less than 400g would solve this problem.

Jan 12, 2017 at 06:32 AM
DannyBurkPhoto
• •
p.48 #14 · p.48 #14 · Official: Loxia 85mm f/2.4 announced at $1,399

Yes, I'm doing the same with the ZE 28/2. Waiting for Loxia to come to the rescue!

Jan 12, 2017 at 06:42 AM
Luvwine
• • •
p.48 #15 · p.48 #15 · Official: Loxia 85mm f/2.4 announced at $1,399

Fred Miranda wrote:
The ZM 35/1.4 is a step above the Loxia 35/2 even though it was not designed for the Sony's sensor stack. (needs f/6.3 or smaller for sharp corners)
However it is bigger and costs more...It's my main landscape/people lens currently.

I know what you mean but the ZE/ZF line. It's superb glass but kind of big with an adapter. I have the ZF 28/2 and love its rendering but with an adapter it's about 630g. A Loxia 28 at less than 400g would solve this problem.

When would you use the 28 over the GM 24-70?

Jan 12, 2017 at 08:02 AM
genji
• • •
p.48 #16 · p.48 #16 · Official: Loxia 85mm f/2.4 announced at $1,399

Luvwine wrote:
Last effort, but trust me when I tell you that 21 is a long way from 28. You could then sell the 19mm you don't use, lol.

DannyBurkPhoto wrote:

OK guys, you've successfully undermined my fear of the 21mm FL and will probably be gratified to learn that I replaced the ZM 35/1.4 browser tab with a Loxia 21 tab. Baby steps.

Out of interest, what prompted you to buy Fred's Loxia 35 and how do you like it? Am I wrong in assuming that Fred sold it to fund the purchase of the ZM 35/1.4? I don't know why I'm even asking this since I have the 35mm FL covered with Contax C/Y and Zony FE 35/1.4 lenses and a Tamron SP 35/1.8. Well I do know because all those lenses are huge.

Jan 12, 2017 at 09:47 AM
Luvwine
• • •
p.48 #17 · p.48 #17 · Official: Loxia 85mm f/2.4 announced at $1,399

I did not buy the 35 Loxia. The ZM is better for landscape stopped down, has the same 10 pointed sun stars, and is still small, fast, and with excellent central pop for portraits or near subjects. It also works with TAP. I tested it against my FE 35/2.8 and my formerly owned CV 35/1.2. To me, it was the logical choice so long as the price is not too dear. If I were to consider a Ioxia 35 I would buy used.

Edited on Jan 12, 2017 at 07:55 PM · View previous versions

Jan 12, 2017 at 02:11 PM
DannyBurkPhoto
• •
p.48 #18 · p.48 #18 · Official: Loxia 85mm f/2.4 announced at $1,399

genji wrote:
Out of interest, what prompted you to buy Fred's Loxia 35 and how do you like it? Am I wrong in assuming that Fred sold it to fund the purchase of the ZM 35/1.4? I don't know why I'm even asking this since I have the 35mm FL covered with Contax C/Y and Zony FE 35/1.4 lenses and a Tamron SP 35/1.8. Well I do know because all those lenses are huge.

I'd recently got the 50, having decided to move to the Loxia line, and was thinking about ordering a 35. I happened to look at the b&s forum a day or two later, and saw that Fred had just listed one. It was a brand-new replacement from Zeiss that Fred was selling at a great price, and he checked it and said it was the best copy he had seen. All that made it an easy choice!

That was just before the weather went sour, so I haven't had a chance to use it a lot so far. I've liked what I've done already, though. Very sharp in the center, with beautiful rendering, contrast, and color. The corners need f/8-11 to get truly sharp, but that's probably not a problem if you're doing landscape (like I usually do). It can have wonky bokeh wide open, but often times I rather like that for flowers...I frequently like doing them when the background has some bite instead of going totally soft.

Jan 12, 2017 at 03:15 PM
Fred Miranda
Admin
p.48 #19 · p.48 #19 · Official: Loxia 85mm f/2.4 announced at $1,399

DannyBurkPhoto wrote:
I'd recently got the 50, having decided to move to the Loxia line, and was thinking about ordering a 35. I happened to look at the b&s forum a day or two later, and saw that Fred had just listed one. It was a brand-new replacement from Zeiss that Fred was selling at a great price, and he checked it and said it was the best copy he had seen. All that made it an easy choice!

That was just before the weather went sour, so I haven't had a chance to use it a lot so far. I've liked what
...Show more

Yes, the L35 it's great around f/9-10 towards the edges at infinity. You lose a bit of center bite but it is still great. I would definitely use the Loxia 35/2 for landscapes since it has amazing micro-contrast and resolution through most of the frame. (great sunstar rendering as well)

Danny, the Loxia 35 I sold you was truly amazing and the best I've tried (4 copies). Zeiss's US manager told me that the Loxia 35/2 could never appear to be totally centered (??) based on its characteristics (centering tests would not work well for it) but the copy I sold you was perfectly centered. I guess this lens was an exception. If I didn't have the ZM, I would have kept it.
I now own three Loxias: the Loxia 21, 50 and now 85. (It will get here tomorrow hopefully. )

Jan 12, 2017 at 03:30 PM
digital_AM
• •
p.48 #20 · p.48 #20 · Official: Loxia 85mm f/2.4 announced at $1,399

My Loxia 85 should arrive today. Very excited!

Jan 12, 2017 at 03:34 PM

FM Forums | Sony Forum | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username   Password    Reset password