Home · Register · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username  

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

2       end

Archive 2016 · Replace G1X Mk1 with...what?

warthog
• •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Replace G1X Mk1 with...what?

Preface: I'm a fan of the G1X -- I use it as my travel camera (I fly int'l a lot), and I have taken many pictures that I like. More often than not I find I'm grabbing it even when I could grab my 5d2, as I value the pocketability. I'm also happy with the image quality, and find the flip out / up / around handy (I don't use the optical VF; my glasses make it hard to see through).

That said, the camera has some limitations that have begun to frustrate me -- focus isn't great in lower light, f2.8 at the wide end is limiting, and close-ups are impossible. More reach would be nice too. Nothing I read about the g1x mk2 made me think I'd like it better, so I never considered it. From what I then read when the g7x mkII was announced, that one might offer improvements in some of the specific places I'm frustrated, but reviews are mixed. My concern is it may be a noticeable step back in IQ given the smaller sensor and heavier in-camera processing.

So, given all that, my question: is there anything on the market that I should consider now other than those 2, or do I wait for the inevitable g1x mkiii? I'm a fan of Canon and understand their interface, but would consider jumping brands if the camera makes sense. Has anyone else gone from a g1x to a g7x mk2?

Thanks for any advice.

Sep 13, 2016 at 04:11 PM
Jeff Nolten
• • • •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Replace G1X Mk1 with...what?

I haven't seen anything tempting yet - if that is any help. Does the G7X have an underwater housing? Maybe an M5 system when it comes out, but thats really a different beast. For a small system I supplement my G1X with an SL1 kit when not hauling my 5D3 around. Let us know what you decide.

Sep 13, 2016 at 04:32 PM
CanadaMark
• • • • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Replace G1X Mk1 with...what?

The high end P&S market right now is all about 1" sensors, that's where everyone is putting their R&D dollars.

If you want larger than 1" in a fixed lens P&S your options are very limited. There is the G1X Mk II, Fuji X70, Ricoh GRII, Nikon Coolpix A (refurb), or a Sony RX1 MKII if you want full frame. The Fuji X70 probably interests me the most out of those, aside from the very expensive RX1 II.

I have a Coolpix A that I will most likely replace with a 1" sensor camera, eventually. I will miss the larger sensor but the 1" variants are getting good enough that I probably won't care since it's a P&S.

If you are looking at 1" sensors, I would skip the G7X II and get a Sony RX 100 3/4 or if you're really patient, wait for the Nikon DL series (release date keeps getting pushed back due to supplier issues and the earthquake but they look phenomenal). If you value AF and responsiveness in a P&S though, nothing should be able to touch the DL if/when it ever gets released haha.

Sep 13, 2016 at 05:01 PM
skid00skid00
• • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Replace G1X Mk1 with...what?

My G7Xii takes half the pics, my 5D3 the others. It's a great *pocketable* camera, with not-perfect corners due to the physics of 24-100 in such a small package. I like it way too much, and literally almost always have it on my person.

Sonys pocketable is very expensive, only 24-70, but somewhat better corners.

Nikon's DL series hasn't made it out of production yet.

This market is expensive, and probably doesn't have many purchasers, due to smartphones.

Sep 13, 2016 at 05:31 PM
StevenSHH
• •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Replace G1X Mk1 with...what?

Personally I use Canon EOS M2 compact with WiFi and works like SL1 except it doesn't have OVF, and my iPhone 6 Plus (with OIS) is my backup.

Looking forward to upgrade to iPhone 7 Plus with 28mm F/1.8, which is good enough for most snap shots, the only downside with Apple is that you only have limited disk space and may need to backup constantly. Thus it is my backup.

Sep 13, 2016 at 05:57 PM
dhphoto
• • • • • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Replace G1X Mk1 with...what?

I really like my G1X too. I bought a G1X II as an 'upgrade' and frankly I hated it, I thought it was horrid to use and the IQ wasn't as good as the first version. I think Canon made a huge error with that particular camera.

Unless you want to wait for the Eos M5 (which will never fold down as small as a proper compact) I think you are probably best looking away from Canon. The Sony RX series are fantastic for example.

Otherwise I would look at the SL1/100D and a kit lens which in 'mass' isn't really that much larger

Sep 14, 2016 at 12:05 AM
Gunzorro
• • • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · Replace G1X Mk1 with...what?

I really like my G1X too! Can't think of another P&S camera that packs such an IQ punch in a small package.

I also like my S110 when I want a wider zoom range (down to 24mm equiv.) and smaller size.

And the smartphone.

I never use my M4/3 anymore.

Sep 14, 2016 at 12:34 AM
Paul Mo
• • • • •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · Replace G1X Mk1 with...what?

Been issues with its release but I'd be interested in seeing the Nikon DL 24-85 in action - admittedly a 1.0 inch sensor so... as mentioned above, the X70 would be worth looking at too. Love to see someone come out with a telephoto compact of 85mm to compliment the slew of 28 and 35's.

Sep 14, 2016 at 01:06 AM
MedicineMan404
• • • • •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · Replace G1X Mk1 with...what?

I hope you (OP) don't mind an excuse to post up a pic from the G1X. I love this camera too; in fact I have two of them. A friend just had Canon replace the shutter mechanism/housing (whatever it is called)...he had over 450,000 clicks on it. I installed CHDK on mine and with it did my first double Holy Grail. I really cut my Canon teeth with the G1X, it will forever have a special place in my heart. For sensor size--even by todays standards---rugged/solid body well I just don't know how it can be replaced. Heck, I even liked the motel door peep hole viewfinder! Anyway, my most popular pic on Flickr via the G1X-

Southern Appalachians in Winter (My personal best of the year) by MedicineMan4040, on Flickr

Sep 14, 2016 at 01:44 AM
dhphoto
• • • • • •
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · Replace G1X Mk1 with...what?

I think the G1X has a nice feel to it as well (lovely pic MedicineMan). I use the JJC auto lens cap which makes it much more convenient IMHO (and slimmer).

The level of detail from a 'compact' is amazing
https://www.fredmiranda.com/hosting-data//500/9838PO15_2_007-med.jpg

Sep 14, 2016 at 02:11 AM
MedicineMan404
• • • • •
p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · Replace G1X Mk1 with...what?

Back at you DH with another great G1X image. It really is an unsung hero in the camera world.

Sep 14, 2016 at 03:46 AM
dhphoto
• • • • • •
p.1 #12 · p.1 #12 · Replace G1X Mk1 with...what?

MedicineMan404 wrote:
Back at you DH with another great G1X image. It really is an unsung hero in the camera world.

Thank you.

I'd hoped the G1XII would just be more of the same but with a wider lens, a 3:2 option and the EVF but I was mistaken, I found it difficult to use (you need to twist the lens dials round while holding it at arms length from behind, not easy for me anyway), the EVF made it an odd shape to pack or carry and the lower meg did nothing for the IQ, except possibly at very high ISO.

I know this thread is supposed to be about what to replace a G1X with so if you are using Canon the answer seems to be a low mileage G1X and a close-up filter

Sep 14, 2016 at 05:49 AM
MedicineMan404
• • • • •
p.1 #13 · p.1 #13 · Replace G1X Mk1 with...what?

dhphoto wrote:
Thank you.

I'd hoped the G1XII would just be more of the same but with a wider lens, a 3:2 option and the EVF but I was mistaken, I found it difficult to use (you need to twist the lens dials round while holding it at arms length from behind, not easy for me anyway), the EVF made it an odd shape to pack or carry and the lower meg did nothing for the IQ, except possibly at very high ISO.

Fully agreed. I added the G1Xii, tried to love it-even added the ungaily external EVF, sold it and added the second G1X.
That said I am studying the EOS M5 with high hopes.

Sep 14, 2016 at 05:54 AM
dhphoto
• • • • • •
p.1 #14 · p.1 #14 · Replace G1X Mk1 with...what?

MedicineMan404 wrote:
Fully agreed. I added the G1Xii, tried to love it-even added the ungaily external EVF, sold it and added the second G1X.
That said I am studying the EOS M5 with high hopes.

It seems so obvious to me what the G1X series should be - a (very) large sensor compact with a 24mm equivalent wide end and a built-in EVF, but Canon clearly don't think that way

Sep 14, 2016 at 07:07 AM
warthog
• •
p.1 #15 · p.1 #15 · Replace G1X Mk1 with...what?

Thanks for all the helpful feedback -- sounds like I'm not the only person to have grappled with this.

thanks also for the great shots MedicineMan and dhphoto. If we're going to conclude that the G1X beats the field (for now), I have no qualms about making this a G1X photo thread.

Mine aren't quite up to the quality of what you've posted, but here are a few of my favorites, including one in the dive case (I should have said in my original post that I bought this camera because I found a great deal on a dive housing, and then bought the camera to go with it).

http://i.imgur.com/YebrpZP.jpg

http://i.imgur.com/DGKU36I.jpg

http://i.imgur.com/Ez6PcEG.jpg

http://i.imgur.com/Mgmh1am.jpg

Sep 14, 2016 at 08:19 AM
MedicineMan404
• • • • •
p.1 #16 · p.1 #16 · Replace G1X Mk1 with...what?

warthog wrote:

Thanks for all the helpful feedback -- sounds like I'm not the only person to have grappled with this.

thanks also for the great shots MedicineMan and dhphoto. If we're going to conclude that the G1X beats the field (for now), I have no qualms about making this a G1X photo thread.

Mine aren't quite up to the quality of what you've posted, but here are a few of my favorites, including one in the dive case (I should have said in my original post that I bought this camera because I found a great deal on a dive housing, and
...Show more

Fantastic series! The Milky Way is tops!
Should make all of us stand back and wonder why we every upgrade!

Sep 14, 2016 at 10:46 AM
Jeff Nolten
• • • •
p.1 #17 · p.1 #17 · Replace G1X Mk1 with...what?

In praise of the G1X

When I first purchased my G1X I did a series of comparison shots to my 5Dc + 24-105 (same horizontal resolution) and 7D + 15-85 and 17-40. I was delighted to find that at 28, 35, 50, and 85 mm FF equivalent the G1X compared very well with the other combinations. The 15-85 and 24-105 were noticeably sharper at 100 mm FF equivalent but the G1X was as sharp wide open at its wide end as the others stopped down. The G1X showed less low ISO noise than the 7D and was still better at ISO 1600. The lens may be slow but its really a pretty remarkable optic for a collapsable zoom.

My wife and I are retired and are trying to get as much travel in while our health and finances hold. In the four yeas I've had the G1X its been to quite a few places. Unless I'm backpacking it accompanies my 5D3 kit as a trusted backup. Its a tough 1 lb brick.

Here's a selection of images I wouldn't use the SLR for:

Blue Mosque from an overhead window in the Hagia Sophia via flip screen

Mt. Everest

From atop an elephant in Nepal

Backpacking in the Escalante wilderness

Snorkeling in Tahiti

Sep 14, 2016 at 12:06 PM
Jeff Nolten
• • • •
p.1 #18 · p.1 #18 · Replace G1X Mk1 with...what?

A few more. All these look good on my 5K iMac in addition to reduced for posting.

On the island of Potmos

Tulips in Istanbul

Grand Staircase of the Escalante

From the Alaskan Railway near Wasilla

Sep 14, 2016 at 12:30 PM
MedicineMan404
• • • • •
p.1 #19 · p.1 #19 · Replace G1X Mk1 with...what?

Jeff Nolten wrote:
A few more. All these look good on my 5K iMac in addition to reduced for posting.

All 10 star imagery!! and obviously more proof that the old and forgotten G1X is vastly more than what
most anyone would guess. Besides those incredible examples you remind that this camera is stout !!

Sep 14, 2016 at 05:28 PM
MedicineMan404
• • • • •
p.1 #20 · p.1 #20 · Replace G1X Mk1 with...what?

At the risk of shunting the beautiful flow of images from the G1X I post this link to Flickr, my first double Holy Grail of timelapse, just to show the malleability of this remarkable camera-it's not a great but it was my first from sundown to sunrise so I was pleased.

https://www.flickr.com/photos/medicineman4040/13945916338/in/dateposted/

Just noticed the link is not hyper

Sep 14, 2016 at 05:34 PM
       2       end

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

2       end

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.