FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

end

Archive 2016 · 5D4 video

skibum5
• • • • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.2 #1 · p.2 #1 · 5D4 video

stanj wrote:
I'm completely stupid here: I have no clue how such a profile gets loaded onto the camera. Via the Picture Style Editor? There I don't see Log as an option. I didn't load Cinestyle or anything, I just messed with the built-in picture styles.

[Googling like crazy now]

My RX100M4 has the Log profiles pre-installed, which is nice.

I don't really do video, so I apologize for my cluelessness. That's another reason why I use FCPX, because it's iMovie on steroids (and it was free).

The guy who made this video was using one the fake C-LOG profiles created by A.R. at EOSHD. He says that he carefully replicated Canon C-LOG, but from what I have seen in practice it doesn't actually deliver the same colors or as much extra DR when you apply the reverse LUT from Canon meant for their profile. But I suppose it is sort of heading in that direction.

Sep 14, 2016 at 11:47 PM
skibum5
• • • • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.2 #2 · p.2 #2 · 5D4 video

stanj wrote:
Many hours of study and testing reveal that you can't set up a "real" Log setting on a non-Cine Canon camera, only an approximation, because it's post some of the relevant steps in the pipeline. As an experiment you can download the C-Log profile and then apply the matching setting in FCPX, with painful results. Yes, the profiles help, but they aren't a substitute for the C300 or similar cameras that have the "real" bits (or the RX100M4...)

Yup. As I said above, it's sort of start but pretty far off.

A shame. Absurd canon locked C-LOG out of the 5D4.

Hopefully someone can try fine detail mode on and off and see if it affects video as well as JPGs and also try NR to zero and see if that brings back a lot of crispness too.

Or maybe it is just that he rescaled 4096 to 3840 while everyone else has just been cropping the edges off instead?

All I can say is the detail in his video seems pretty promising, unlike what I see so far in all the other 5D4 4k examples. Hopefully it means the detail really is in there to be had with the right settings/scaling or something.

Sep 14, 2016 at 11:49 PM
       end

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

end

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.