New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

end

Archive 2016 · Canon 16-35 II or else ?

hotdog12
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.2 #1 · p.2 #1 · Canon 16-35 II or else ?

I would NOT get the 16-35 f/2.8 I or II. I've seen some star shots done with the 16-35 f/4L IS, but the new 16-35 f/2.8 III is likely the way to go if you plan to do a lot of star stuff. I don't know about the non-Canon lenses, but I hear some good things about select lenses.

Sep 14, 2016 at 08:39 AM
Gunzorro
• • • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.2 #2 · p.2 #2 · Canon 16-35 II or else ?

I agree with Milan.

If you aren't super-technical about astronomy, and you want f/2.8 with filters, the 16-35/2.8L II isn't a bad lens, especially when you buy used, and shooting in such a way as to crop out the far corners and edges. It's a great lens for documentary or travel when f/2.8 is needed.

It does have curvature of field that causes the unsharp edges at longer focusing distances. But that same effects works well for closer bowl-shaped environs and for artistic emphasis of the central subject.

It's certainly a lot better than the 20-35/2.8L and its successor, the 17-35/2.8L -- both of which are still useful today.

For a top quality ~16-35mm/2.8 lens that takes filters -- the new Canon is really the only game in town, at a substantial price increase.

The only other possible "cheap" lens that might suit you is the Tokina 16-28/2.8. I have that on my Nikon D800e and it's pretty good wide open, except for haze and haloing (mostly due to SA) at the 28mm end. Stopped down, it's pretty good all over. No filters though, but that hasn't slowed me down!

Sep 14, 2016 at 10:53 AM
Paul Tessier
• •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.2 #3 · p.2 #3 · Canon 16-35 II or else ?

For astro work I found the 16-35 f4L too slow. The 16-35 2.8L has strong coma. The samyang/rokinon 14mm has good IQ for stars but I had two copies die do to mechanical problems. Maybe bad luck on my part but I am hesitant to buy a third. I'm looking at the irix 15 or possibly replacing my 16-35f4L with the new 2.8III as solutions myself.

Sep 14, 2016 at 12:22 PM
       end

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

end

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.