New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

end

Archive 2016 · First frame with the 5D Mark IV

Sdentrem

Upload & Sell: Off
p.2 #1 · p.2 #1 · First frame with the 5D Mark IV

thanks Arash. For those of us who shoot birds and are often focal-length limited (although I do have a500mm f4 II, but that still often isn't enough), do you think the 5D IV would be more "crop-able" than the 1dx given its higher MP count? I want to add a full frame to my 7d II and am looking at 5dIV vs a used 1dx.

Sep 14, 2016 at 07:17 AM
speedmaster20d
• • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.2 #2 · p.2 #2 · First frame with the 5D Mark IV

Jude Perera wrote:
Thank you Arash. Also, have you ever compared the focusing accuracy and IQ between1DX (1DX2 or 5D Mk4)+100-400 II +1.4x III at f8 and 5DS R+100-400 II at f5.6 for BIFs. Would love to know.

Jude

Hi Jude, I have not done this comparison as I do not use a 100-400. I did use a 5DSR a few times but I didn't really like it for the kind of subjects I shoot (it was too slow and a bit noisy for my liking at high ISO)

best

Sep 14, 2016 at 09:48 AM
speedmaster20d
• • • •
p.2 #3 · p.2 #3 · First frame with the 5D Mark IV

Sdentrem wrote:
thanks Arash. For those of us who shoot birds and are often focal-length limited (although I do have a500mm f4 II, but that still often isn't enough), do you think the 5D IV would be more "crop-able" than the 1dx given its higher MP count? I want to add a full frame to my 7d II and am looking at 5dIV vs a used 1dx.

I am doing those tests now, stay tuned for the review.

Sep 14, 2016 at 09:52 AM
dorian
• • • •
p.2 #4 · p.2 #4 · First frame with the 5D Mark IV

The above test should be very informative. I agree that the 30MP in the 5D4 might make it appealing to bird shooters such as myself in a way that the 22MP 5D3 wasn't.

I currently have the 7D2. I am somewhat satisfied with it. While I have made some really great images with it, I find that tack sharp frames are kinda hard to come by. I feel I have to shoot really heavy to ensure that I get that one really sharp frame - and sometimes, frustratingly, I don't get it. I have MA'd all of my lenses (100-400 v2, 400 DO II, 500 v1) with and without my 1.4x III, but I still feel like I am missing frames that I should be capturing, particularly with the TC.

Right now I feel like I have so much money in lenses and so little in cameras that it might be time to sell a lens or two to help finance some better sensor and AF technology. As I am always focal length restricted, I have been hesitant to move to FF, particularly as I like shooting smaller birds like shorebirds. I'm not really a set-up kinda guy; I'm more of a field photographer since I'm a die-hard birder as well. That was the thought with the 400 DO II purchase - I can easily sling it around withe me while birding. The 500/4 was a challenge in that respect. I'm very happy with the DO II so far, but I wonder if putting it onto a slight better body would help it shine even brighter.

I had the 1DIV prior to the 7D2 but sold it as I felt the bodies produced images of comparable quality; I was always reaching for the 7D2 over the 1DIV for weight and 'reach' reasons. Maybe I could unload the 500/4 or the zoom to help finance either a used 1DX or a new 5D4.

As I think it helps to see what sort of photos a person already produces when he/she speaks about upgrading gear, those interested can check out my SmugMug or Flickr from my profile at left. Up until now I've thought that my skills have been limiting me. I'm more recently thinking I'm hitting a wall with the 7D2.

Any and all advice welcomed and appreciated, from Arash or others.....

Cheers!

Sep 14, 2016 at 11:36 AM
speedmaster20d
• • • •
p.2 #5 · p.2 #5 · First frame with the 5D Mark IV

Dorian,

Thanks for your comments.

I think the "reach" dilemma could be a bit deceiving. As you have probably realized by now, an image that is not tack sharp is ultimately not satisfying. Bird images in particular, are very sensitive to critical focus, micro-contrast and pixel-level sharpness. Having more pixels doesn't necessarily result in a higher quality image, for online presentation or print. A 40 mega-pixel image where the focus is just slightly off the head will look and print worse than a clean tack sharp 20 mega-pixel image.

If you are after tack sharp images of shore birds in flight in demanding situations, there is really no substitute for a 1DX/1DXII setup. With other bodies you will continue to be frustrated and tack sharp images will remain hard to come by, especially if you need to use an extender most of the time.

I think if you are happy with the quality of the most of the images you get with your 7d2 the 5D4 will sure be a satisfying upgrade for sure. But, it is not going to get you the same type of shots that you can get with a 1DX/1DX II + 600 II/500 II/400 DO II setup. With the 1DX/1DX II you can unlock the 800mm focal length of 400 DO II for BIF and low light conditions so you come out ahead in effective focal length as well. That's where I'd put my money.

BTW, I shoot shorebirds in CA all the time, including the SoCal locations. You shouldn't have much difficulty with a FF camera if you go to the right place at the right time. I have many shots with my 1DX and naked 400. For raptors you usually need longer FL's...

You have some good shots on your site, keep up the good work and best of luck

best

Sep 14, 2016 at 07:35 PM
Sdentrem

p.2 #6 · p.2 #6 · First frame with the 5D Mark IV

Patiently (or maybe not) awaiting your review Arash. I'm waiting to pull the trigger on a used 1dx vs 5d IV and it's mostly for birds so your review will weigh heavily in my decision. Looking forward to it

Sep 21, 2016 at 04:06 PM
Pixel Perfect
• • • • • • •
p.2 #7 · p.2 #7 · First frame with the 5D Mark IV

I'm eagerly waiting to see how the Sony A99II AF performs in these sorts of situations. If it is competitive with 5DIV, 7DII, D500 it has so many other plusses it'd be hard to resist. I'm not confident Sony can deliver but it should be a hell of a lot better than what they've offered to date including a6300. If it does surprise us may actually do well and Sigma's new 500 f/4 and Tamron's new 150-600 G2 will be available in A mount.

Sep 21, 2016 at 09:47 PM
EB-1
• • • • • • •
p.2 #8 · p.2 #8 · First frame with the 5D Mark IV

dorian wrote:
The above test should be very informative. I agree that the 30MP in the 5D4 might make it appealing to bird shooters such as myself in a way that the 22MP 5D3 wasn't.

I currently have the 7D2. I am somewhat satisfied with it. While I have made some really great images with it, I find that tack sharp frames are kinda hard to come by. I feel I have to shoot really heavy to ensure that I get that one really sharp frame - and sometimes, frustratingly, I don't get it. I have MA'd all of my lenses (100-400 v2,
...Show more

The main question is the 5D IV AF. I'm not quite expecting 1D series AF, but I'm sick of the low-res IQ from the 1DX at this point. I often use the 5DsR, but try to keep it at ISO 800, using 1600 sometimes, then switching to the 1DX.

EBH

Sep 21, 2016 at 10:42 PM
       end

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

end

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.