New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Photo Critique | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2016 · Yesteryear

lighthound
• • • • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Yesteryear

A new find from this morning.

I'm posting 4 total images, different processing to two images with different comps.

Which composition works best?
Which processing do you prefer?

Dave

Comp 1 image 1

Comp 1 image 2

Comp 2 image 1

Comp 2 image 2

Sep 11, 2016 at 11:51 AM
Camperjim
• • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Yesteryear

Maybe it is my imagination, but it seems that #1 is slightly sharper than #2. Otherwise I see little difference.

#4 seems to be a bit more saturated and/or darker and shows slightly better than #3. Again the differences are so minimal that they don't matter.

I find the first set of images to be interesting and certainly more beautiful. The last set seems to feature a burned out grassy area and water which seems to be stagnant and full of debris. The falling water is also much better in #1.

Sep 11, 2016 at 12:50 PM
ben egbert
• • • • • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Yesteryear

I also noticed that 1 was sharper,, look at the water wheel. I also prefer the first comp for some of the reasons Jim mentioned, but also because I like the waterfall and it's just an overall better scene.

Sep 11, 2016 at 03:29 PM
lighthound
• • • • • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Yesteryear

Thank you Jim and Ben. You are both correct that the second (2&4) image from each comp is the softer of the two. I tried to add a more soothing appearance to those in post as apposed to the "normal" sharp images as seen in the first (1&3) images. Seeing them uploaded here, they did loose some of the impact they have at full size.

And yes Jim, the burnt grass was not desirable but all the lawns look like that down here this time of year. I honestly had not even noticed this as I was focused on using the rocks as a leading line. The water is clearly not stagnant, the debris you see is a bunch of bubble blobs trapped in a whirl pool area of the stream. Your observations are exactly why I like to get feedback from people. What we overlook or take for granted can easily be seen by others when viewing the images. And in this case those things I overlooked are negatives which is never a good thing.

You both picked the composition that I also prefer. I was thinking that the mill became too small of an element in the first image but I really like how I could use the waterfall in the FG as an anchor. Two different compositions of the same scene with two different messages.

This was mainly a test run of a new place I just found. I plan on shooting this in the fall when the leaves change and the preferred composition (#1) will work better for that.

If anyone sees anyway to improve the composition in #1 let me know and I'll take it into account on my next visit this fall.

Dave

Sep 11, 2016 at 04:38 PM
ben egbert
• • • • • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Yesteryear

I would try to get the waterfall to intercept the left corner. May not work, but it would be worth a try I think.

Sep 11, 2016 at 04:44 PM
lighthound
• • • • • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Yesteryear

That's a good idea Ben. I'll give that a shot next time. I might have to climb down into the water to get that angle. There is a house/cottage just to the left that I had to crop out of that frame so that might be a problem but I'll definitely try.

Dave

Sep 12, 2016 at 08:54 AM
beavens
• • • • • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · Yesteryear

The second comp feel very static to me. Definitely like the direction you took more in the first one.

Looking forward to seeing this when the leaves start changing.

Jeff

Sep 12, 2016 at 03:50 PM
lighthound
• • • • • •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · Yesteryear

Thanks Jeff. You and me both on the fall colors. I think this one will make for a nice shot.

Dave

Sep 12, 2016 at 06:01 PM

FM Forums | Photo Critique | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.