Home · Register · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username  

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Nikon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

2       end

Archive 2016 · Nikon Df split prism mod!

richardHaw
• •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Nikon Df split prism mod!

https://richardhaw.com/2016/09/11/mod-nikon-df-split-prism/

this was easier than I anticipated.

Sep 10, 2016 at 09:35 PM
low325
• • •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Nikon Df split prism mod!

nice write up. A number of folks have swapped out their focusing screens and it is a joy to shoot MF nikkors.

Feb 06, 2017 at 05:57 PM
tntcorp
• • • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Nikon Df split prism mod!

tag for reference

Feb 06, 2017 at 06:28 PM
Danner
• • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Nikon Df split prism mod!

Nice job and nice write up.

But, if I wanted to shoot classic glass using manual focus, I'd go to a Leica M digital body and the vast range of excellent glass. Not to mention the compact size and rangefinder patch focusing, which (IME) is much nicer to run.

Edited on Feb 06, 2017 at 06:39 PM · View previous versions

Feb 06, 2017 at 06:37 PM
jsv_20
• •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Nikon Df split prism mod!

I remember reading that! I've been meaning to ask you, has the screen budged at all? Also, what kind of material did Lloyd use to extend the screen?

Feb 06, 2017 at 06:38 PM
ariot
• •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Nikon Df split prism mod!

I should just pay someone to do this on my Df.

If I tried it, well, I'm sure to screw it up.

Thanks for the write-up, very cool.

Feb 07, 2017 at 08:44 AM
No Regrets
• • • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · Nikon Df split prism mod!

I'd be interested in having this done with my Df. Does anyone know of someone who does this mod reliably in Wisconsin or even near Chicago?

Feb 07, 2017 at 11:07 AM
wizzard0003

p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · Nikon Df split prism mod!

This is cool and all but you can buy screens that actually fit from Focusingscreens.com
which is one of the places he mentioned in the article.

https://www.focusingscreen.com/index.php?currency=USD&cPath=22_139&osCsid=b0726d55db468d38e53099af341515f9

You can find detailed instalation instructions on their site as well. It's really an easy thing
to do.

I'm using a "Katzeye" on my D7k and like it but they are out of business now. I'm thinking
of giving the Ec-A style from Focusingscreens.com a try to see if I like it better.

Anyways, good article...

William

Feb 07, 2017 at 12:28 PM
Joseph.
• • • •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · Nikon Df split prism mod!

After trying several focusing screens on my Df, I'm now back to the original one. WHY?

The split prism one is only good when you have clearly defined lines on your composition (ie. bars, trees, branches, etc) It quickly becomes useless when you're shooting portraits where you try to focus on peoples' eyes.

The Matte one makes your VF extremely dark. Fantastic for super fast (1.2) lenses, but really bad for slower lenses (3.5 and smaller). It's fun to use with the Noct-NIKKOR since it renders true DOF but a nightmare when shooting at night with the 20 3.5 UD-Nikkor.

The stock Df screen is optimized for slowish lenses (2.8) so it doesn't render the "true" DOF of faster glass, but it is BRIGHT. It's the best compromise IMO, and everyone's happy.

As for installing them: If you're not a patient person, I'd say definitely have someone else do it. You WILL find dust specks sandwiched between the screen and the prism and you'll have to have it cleaned multiple times until you get it perfectly clean. Also, adding and removing the provided shims require a bit of a trial and error until the focus is perfectly calibrated with the lens. (ie. The image on the VF is perfectly lined up, but the actual image taken is OOF) When this happens, you'll need to add or remove some shims. NOT for the impatient.

Didn't mean to deflate everyone's enthusiasm on aftermarket screens, but since I've used several of them, I thought I'd contribute what I know. Have fun!!

Feb 07, 2017 at 04:19 PM
chuhsi1
• • •
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · Nikon Df split prism mod!

if i do this for MF, does it mess up my AF experience?

Feb 07, 2017 at 05:16 PM
jiannazzone
• •
p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · Nikon Df split prism mod!

After trying several focusing screens on my Df, I'm now back to the original one. WHY? The split prism one is only good when you have clearly defined lines on your composition (ie. bars, trees, branches, etc) It quickly becomes useless when you're shooting portraits where you try to focus on peoples' eyes.

There is almost always something within the plane of focus on which you can get a defined line if you rotate the camera. Of course, this is more difficult on a tripod.

Feb 07, 2017 at 09:34 PM
low325
• • •
p.1 #12 · p.1 #12 · Nikon Df split prism mod!

This is funny. Because not too long ago I was searching for my old screen to put back just for that matter. Even though I'm using the S screen which to be fair you can clearly see the difference when you focus 1.4 even faster lenses but yah when you want to have some fun with the fisheye or go wide your screen kinda dark.

Joseph. wrote:
After trying several focusing screens on my Df, I'm now back to the original one. WHY?

The split prism one is only good when you have clearly defined lines on your composition (ie. bars, trees, branches, etc) It quickly becomes useless when you're shooting portraits where you try to focus on peoples' eyes.

The Matte one makes your VF extremely dark. Fantastic for super fast (1.2) lenses, but really bad for slower lenses (3.5 and smaller). It's fun to use with the Noct-NIKKOR since it renders true DOF but a nightmare when shooting at night with the 20 3.5 UD-Nikkor.

The
...Show more

Feb 08, 2017 at 09:00 AM
Joseph.
• • • •
p.1 #13 · p.1 #13 · Nikon Df split prism mod!

low325 wrote:
This is funny. Because not too long ago I was searching for my old screen to put back just for that matter. Even though I'm using the S screen which to be fair you can clearly see the difference when you focus 1.4 even faster lenses but yah when you want to have some fun with the fisheye or go wide your screen kinda dark.

yep.. freakin darker than a rainy afternoon in Guam dats for sure!

It also gets really tough to focus at night. I wish Nikon made it so that you can easily swap the screens by simply flipping the top prism part instead of prying the retainer clips.

Edited on Feb 09, 2017 at 08:49 PM · View previous versions

Feb 08, 2017 at 04:04 PM
Ray S.
• •
p.1 #14 · p.1 #14 · Nikon Df split prism mod!

I did a similar screen swap on my DF quite a while ago - don't even recall exactly when but I think in 2015 sometime, maybe even 2014. I don't find the split prism precise enough to replace the green dot, but using them together works really well. The problem with the green dot alone is the arrows will tell you which way you need to turn the lens, but you don't really know just how close you are until the dot comes on. With the split prism, I can see it coming together which gets me very close very quickly and then I can glance down at the dot to fine tune. I wouldn't install a split prism expecting it to nail perfect focus every time, but it will help you get very close very quickly - and then you can use the dot to fine tune as needed.

BTW, it really isn't hard to do yourself. I actually screwed up and pulled the metal clip that holds the screen down out of the camera (it's ends fit into two tiny holes on either side of where it sits), but I was able to put it all back together and get the screen in again pretty quickly. Even with that minor screw up, the whole job took 10 minutes or so.

-Ray

Feb 09, 2017 at 02:20 PM
macpro88
• •
p.1 #15 · p.1 #15 · Nikon Df split prism mod!

Did a screen swap on my D750 a while ago; ended up going back to the original screen. Mostly because I don't manual focus that much; and the fact it seemed off center like yours did drove me absolutely insane lol.

Feb 09, 2017 at 03:21 PM
ohsnaphappy
• • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #16 · p.1 #16 · Nikon Df split prism mod!

A) Buy Df
B) Mod Df with split prism
C) Buy Noct Nikkor
D) Win at life

Feb 09, 2017 at 03:50 PM
recordproducti
• •
p.1 #17 · p.1 #17 · Nikon Df split prism mod!

I really have no problem with, and enjoy manual focusing with my Df, I find it even easier than with my F3 - Saves me money

Feb 10, 2017 at 03:07 AM
designdog
• •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #18 · p.1 #18 · Nikon Df split prism mod!

I have been shooting with MF lenses on Nikon cameras for many years. Truth be told, I prefer manual focus. However, all of this has been with the focus confirmation dot, which has worked out quite nicely for me.

Last year I made the foray into film photography, and found myself with a camera or two with no focus confirmation: Nikon FM3A, Mamiya 645 Pro TL. This became a real challenge for me, despite the fact that these are two of the better viewfinders out there. I just seem to keep looking and think, is it in focus now, is that in focus, does that mean it is in focus, etc.

With some experience I have gotten better, and my confidence is higher. There is no way, however, that I would want to focus my DF without the confirmation dot!

Feb 10, 2017 at 10:35 AM
sandycrane
• • •
p.1 #19 · p.1 #19 · Nikon Df split prism mod!

I have the K3 focusing screen on my d810. I find the microprism section more useful than the split screen. The focusing aids perform differently for different lenses and lighting conditions. In the end I find the confirmation dot the easiest to use, if not the most precise.

Feb 10, 2017 at 10:41 AM
carlitos
• • •
p.1 #20 · p.1 #20 · Nikon Df split prism mod!

One thing I like about the F-F2-F3 series of film cameras is that the focusing screen is glass. While not a bright as the later series focusing screens, the glass seems to have more contrast. For me, more contrast makes the stop down button more useful in that I can see what areas of the image are in focus when stopped down to f5.6, etc. Of course the split prism is dark at that point, but the surrounding glass is readable. This is why, for me, AF has limited value.

Back in the day, the value of a f/1.4 aperture was that the focusing screen was brighter, as well as the split image. Did f/1.4 have any value for thin DOF or bokeh? I'm not sure they were even considered then.

Feb 10, 2017 at 12:35 PM
       2       end

FM Forums | Nikon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

2       end

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.