New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Photo Critique | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2016 · Another boring Saturday morning

lighthound
• • • • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Another boring Saturday morning

Ok. maybe not!

I can not think of ANYTHING more peaceful and beautiful than to see and hear these majestic animals bugling and hear it echo through the crisp cool maintain air.
I know this sounds corny, but it's as close to heaven on earth to me. Simply love it!

I hit the road this morning a few hours before sun rise to go see my buddy up the hill. I wanted to see what kind of mood he was in so far. They appear to be just getting ready for the rut but it was very slow action this morning.
This guy adorned some nice ivy stuck in his impressive head gear. I didn't care for it myself but I wasn't about to tell him that.

These are posted in the order they were shot. As you can see the fog was gloriously thick at first light but it didn't stick around long once the sun broke up over the mountain.

I'm particularly interested in how well you think I processed the heavy fog images.

I have learned (this morning) that you can NOT set your White and Black points to the edges like I normally do when I process images. It made a mess out of them so i backed way off and left my histogram looking like a really skinny Mt. Everest near the middle of the histogram. This fog editing is new to me and I need to better understand what the heck I'm doing with it. In hindsight and thinking about it, I now understand why you can't expect to push both the white and black points to the extreme edges. In a heavy fog scene there are no whites or blacks. Well, maybe you could have whites I guess.

These were all shot during blue hour and golden hour if this helps any.

Any and all nits invited, encouraged and welcomed.

Dave

Sep 10, 2016 at 02:08 PM
beavens
• • • • • •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Another boring Saturday morning

Nice set, Dave!

2 and 3 are the standouts for me. Really love how the elk has pieces of brush in his rack - some real Gaia vibes going on. 1 would have gotten more love if the pose was little better - digging the thick fog.

How much space have you got on 2? I think adding some more neg space would help out here.

Cheers!

Jeff

Sep 10, 2016 at 02:25 PM
ben egbert
• • • • • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Another boring Saturday morning

2 for fog, 4 and 5 for non fog. I really like the pose in 4, and the "in your face" attitude of 2. Really nice rack, and well captured and processed.

Edit, by the way, I know just what you mean and it's not corny to me.

Sep 10, 2016 at 04:50 PM
lighthound
• • • • • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Another boring Saturday morning

beavens wrote:
Nice set, Dave!

2 and 3 are the standouts for me. Really love how the elk has pieces of brush in his rack - some real Gaia vibes going on. 1 would have gotten more love if the pose was little better - digging the thick fog.

How much space have you got on 2? I think adding some more neg space would help out here.

Cheers!

Jeff

Thanks for your picks and suggestions Jeff!

+1 @ the bad pose in #1. Below is another shot with a slightly better head position in the heavy fog but not as thick. I really like that thick fog as it makes him almost appear like a ghost emerging from the fog.

I don't have any more room in front of him on that shot as it's nearly full frame with just a tiny bit cropped off the rear and bottom edge. I do however have another shot almost identical that I snapped seconds before but much wider. I didn't want to use it though because it's heavily cropped. I have added it below.

Dave
---------------------------------------------

ben egbert wrote:
2 for fog, 4 and 5 for non fog. I really like the pose in 4, and the "in your face" attitude of 2. Really nice rack, and well captured and processed.

Edit, by the way, I know just what you mean and it's not corny to me.

Thank you Ben for your picks and comments!
I guess we're both just a couple corny guys. It is so magical isn't it. Every time I view any of my Elk images I can hear them.

I have a feeling I'm going to be burning a lot of gas over the next month or so. My goal this year is to nail some heavy rut activity with the big boys. Last year if you recall, I got a few shots of a couple of smaller guys sparing but no all out fights.

Dave

Thick fog with better head position

Heavy crop similar to OP#2 but with more room to the front

Sep 11, 2016 at 09:32 AM
ben egbert
• • • • • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Another boring Saturday morning

The last one is great for web, but I hear you on a heavy crop which hurts IQ at print size.

Good luck with the rut. I used to see elk on my way to work when i lived in spokane, but have not seen many here in Utah. In fact I have seen more moose than elk.

Sep 11, 2016 at 09:57 AM
Mado
• • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Another boring Saturday morning

Well, I have to say that I enjoy your boring Saturday morning. I like the pose of the 4th one. It is difficult to play with fog. I think that you did a good job. The 3rd one is great with less fog.

Sep 12, 2016 at 12:41 PM
lighthound
• • • • • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · Another boring Saturday morning

ben egbert wrote:
The last one is great for web, but I hear you on a heavy crop which hurts IQ at print size.

Good luck with the rut. I used to see elk on my way to work when i lived in spokane, but have not seen many here in Utah. In fact I have seen more moose than elk.

Yep, having to do heavy crops is the norm for me. So when I got that one shot where I could fill the entire frame with him, I got a little excited and missed my composition slightly. But I'll take it.

Dave
---------------------------------------------

Mado wrote:
Well, I have to say that I enjoy your boring Saturday morning. I like the pose of the 4th one. It is difficult to play with fog. I think that you did a good job. The 3rd one is great with less fog.

Thank you Mado! Glad you enjoyed seeing them. It was by far the best weekend I've had in along time.
Good to see you over here posting!

Dave

Sep 12, 2016 at 01:29 PM

FM Forums | Photo Critique | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.