Home · Register · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username  

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Lighting & Studio Techniques | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2016 · Rolling Light Stand / Lightstands with wheels / Hidden Gems of Lighting ...

neoshazam
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Rolling Light Stand / Lightstands with wheels / Hidden Gems of Lighting Value

I bought an Avenger Roller Stand 34 and love it.
Small footprint (that can fold up too), respectable weight capacity, and a junior receptor with a 5/8 stud for dual possibilities.

I can put my Matthews Baby Boom on it, my Avenger D650 boom (gotta be more mindful of weight with this one) , and a variety of lights.

For my small apartment that I occasionally attempt to use as a studio it is perfect. I was debating between it and a Matthews Steel Baby Runway but the options on top and the price difference swayed me to the Avenger.

What lightstand or studio items are indispensable but aren't talked about much ?

Sep 10, 2016 at 01:58 PM
rico
• • • • •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Rolling Light Stand / Lightstands with wheels / Hidden Gems of Lighting Value

Safety cable.

Sep 10, 2016 at 05:56 PM
story_teller
• • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Rolling Light Stand / Lightstands with wheels / Hidden Gems of Lighting Value

Sandbags!

Sep 10, 2016 at 10:48 PM
Michael White
• • • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Rolling Light Stand / Lightstands with wheels / Hidden Gems of Lighting Value

I've been wanting to get two rolling bases for my cstands but I also have the avenger boom and would need it to be stable with the boom. For my tripod I bought a dolly.

Sep 11, 2016 at 02:20 AM
Steve Wylie
• • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Rolling Light Stand / Lightstands with wheels / Hidden Gems of Lighting Value

Get a small sandbag to use as a counter-weight on the back end of your boom, such as a Matthews Boa bag. They come in three sizes: 5, 10, and 15 pounds, and simply hang on the hook at the back end of the boom.

Sep 11, 2016 at 11:55 PM
neoshazam
• • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Rolling Light Stand / Lightstands with wheels / Hidden Gems of Lighting Value

I have the manfrotto weights that can be screwed onto the boom or lightstands and I like them a lot.

The Safety Cable is to wrap around anything that may be hanging precariously ?

Sep 12, 2016 at 09:24 PM
rico
• • • • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · Rolling Light Stand / Lightstands with wheels / Hidden Gems of Lighting Value

@neoshazam, I agree the Manfrotto screw-on scheme is best, if expensive. Hanging c/w off an open hook strikes me as really asking for a disaster. A safety cable prevents a loose baby pin from dropping a fixture onto the floor, or the head of your subject. The Avenger D650 has an excellent mount point for the cable but there is no industry standard, so you have to improvise a loop that will secure the light to the support with minimal slack. I have four different cable designs on hand.

Sep 12, 2016 at 09:48 PM
Michael White
• • • •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · Rolling Light Stand / Lightstands with wheels / Hidden Gems of Lighting Value

I normally use ankle weights since that what I have, use the for shooting also

Sep 13, 2016 at 02:33 AM
Steve Wylie
• • •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · Rolling Light Stand / Lightstands with wheels / Hidden Gems of Lighting Value

Hanging c/w off an open hook strikes me as really asking for a disaster.

Of course, as with all lighting and grip gear, safety is paramount. But I haven't had any issues with hanging a Boa bag on the sturdy hook built into the end of my boom. (That's what it's there for.) I typically elevate my boom higher than my (or anyone else's) head, so running into it isn't an issue. It hangs securely, and is much more easy to manage than either securing or lifting a fixed weight onto a boom. Perhaps it's because almost all of my studio sessions are on location (e.g. at schools or dance studios), but I just find it easier to manage that way. But again, safety is paramount, so whichever method you employ, just be safe with it.

Sep 13, 2016 at 11:16 AM
bgateb760
• •
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · Rolling Light Stand / Lightstands with wheels / Hidden Gems of Lighting Value

Roller stands. I don't know why I never got any, but in the past month i've really stocked up.

I have an avenger 34, 2 Kupo junior rollers and a Kupo high roller. I love 'em.

Sep 13, 2016 at 11:26 PM

FM Forums | Lighting & Studio Techniques | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.