New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Photo Critique | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2016 · Painted hills evening.

ben egbert
• • • • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Painted hills evening.

This was supposed to be an easy drive from the Oregon Coast, but we had a 100 miles detour caused by a bridge that was closed up near the McKenzie Highway. This is part of the John Day fossil bed area south of Pendleton Oregon.

We got to Mitchell Or after dinner, checked into the room and was at the site an hour before sundown. But the shadows were already creeping into the lower levels.

Its only a ½ mile easy walk to the overlook, but when I got there, the light was already as seen in the first image. So I waited for the shadows to be complete in the low areas and with just some good light on the far hills for the second shot.

Like to hear how you like them overall, which you prefer, does the color look believable, Should I crop off the dry grass at the bottom? Is it over processed etc.

I will show the next morning shots another time as they have a different character.

Sep 09, 2016 at 11:00 AM
beavens
• • • • • •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Painted hills evening.

I like the crop of 1 and the look of 2.

Those striations are gorgeous!

Jeff

Sep 09, 2016 at 11:42 AM
ben egbert
• • • • • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Painted hills evening.

Here is a different image with a similar crop as the first, but the lighting of the second. Let me know what you think.

Sep 09, 2016 at 03:28 PM
oldrattler
• • • • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Painted hills evening.

Ben; #1 is too hot in the sun area and overpowers the image. I like the crop; PP seems fine to me. #2 I do not like the grass but prefer the coloration / lighting over #1. #3 is a winner. Jim

Sep 09, 2016 at 03:31 PM
ben egbert
• • • • • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Painted hills evening.

Thanks Jim, glad I asked and went back and found this one.

Sep 09, 2016 at 03:37 PM
lighthound
• • • • • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Painted hills evening.

Your processing looks spot on to me. They all look great but #3 wins on all counts.
I've never seen this in person but from all the images I have seen, your colors look very real and not overly done at all.

One tiny nit if you could even call it that is to snip that sliver of FG hill off running along the very bottom.
Not really a big issue but I had to try and find something to bitch about.

You sure know all the great places out there Ben. This has been on my long bucket list for a few years now.

Simply magical place and very well captured IMHO.

Dave

Sep 09, 2016 at 03:46 PM
lighthound
• • • • • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · Painted hills evening.

BTW... I'm sure you have shot this place in years past, but I bet you had been itching like crazy to get back out there to shoot this with your current setup.

You make that 5DSR sing Mr.

Dave

Sep 09, 2016 at 03:51 PM
ben egbert
• • • • • •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · Painted hills evening.

Thanks Dave, but this is my first visit. I think I was at the John Day Fossil beds 30 years or so back with a film camera, but not at this spot.

Sep 09, 2016 at 04:03 PM
Camperjim
• • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · Painted hills evening.

Another vote for #3.

I still remember struggling mightily to get a decent picture from the fossil beds and from the specific location where you shot.

I have always wanted to return but somehow never have. Maybe next Fall.

Sep 09, 2016 at 05:10 PM
ben egbert
• • • • • •
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · Painted hills evening.

Thanks Jim, probably my last time here. This whole trip was a last trip other than to visit my Family in Sutherlin.

I may still go to Glacier but otherwise I think 3-400 miles will be my radius. Canyonlands, Bryce, Zion and the Tetons plus local stuff.

Sep 09, 2016 at 07:09 PM
Camperjim
• • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · Painted hills evening.

I am starting to think ahead to next year. I plan to be in Walla Walla exactly a year from now. I am thinking of southern Utah in the Spring, the Pacific northwest in the summer, and back to southern Utah in late Fall. That may be my last trip out West at least for several years.

Today, I finally got my truck out of the shop for a simple repair and tomorrow I will start to load up for a trip to Maine and Nova Scotia. Some how I cannot get at all excited about this year's trip in the northeast.

Sep 09, 2016 at 08:58 PM
oldrattler
• • • • •
p.1 #12 · p.1 #12 · Painted hills evening.

We are in Augusta Maine now and the leaves are not changing yet. The drought in several areas have made the waterfalls all but non existent. They have an abundance of rain in northern Maine +5 inches for the year. Safe travels enjoy your trip

Sep 09, 2016 at 10:10 PM
ben egbert
• • • • • •
p.1 #13 · p.1 #13 · Painted hills evening.

I am meeting a friend in May for a trip and campout for White Rim if we get the permits, then the same friend for the Tetons in July..

Sep 10, 2016 at 09:24 AM

FM Forums | Photo Critique | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.