Username  

Sports Corner Rules
Sports Corner Resource

FM Forums | Sports Corner | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2016 · HS Football 1/2 time activity advice needed

MikeOCLT

Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · HS Football 1/2 time activity advice needed

I’ve been asked to shoot HS football game home coming half time activities. One of the activities is the home coming court being driven to the bleacher area in convertible’s with the top’s down.
Last year I was positioned to enable to get the cheering fans in the background but the headlights from the cars messed up the metering. ( https://seapoet.smugmug.com/Other/Tundra/i-bwq3GWq )

This year I thought about a speed light set manually maybe 1/64th power to fill & trying shutter priority at 1/125.
Looking for other ideas or advice from anyone with situational experience

Nikon D700
Nikon 24-70 f2.8
Nikon SB800 or Yongnuo YN560-IV Speedlite (remote trigger also)

Sep 09, 2016 at 09:56 AM
dennisgolfer
• •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · HS Football 1/2 time activity advice needed

What kind of settings did you use last year? Flash or no? I would probably meter before the cars get there to get the settings you need, then manually set so that the headlights don't affect you.

Sep 09, 2016 at 10:27 AM
MikeOCLT

p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · HS Football 1/2 time activity advice needed

Last year I shot ap priority at 5.6 I think & let ISO max at 4500.
I got one with a speedlite because I had to run back to my bag & grab it. It pretty much blew out their faces (barely usable) because I just turned it on & fired (I was running out of time). Thats what gave me the idea to set the Yongnuo manual at 1/64th to fill, I'm afraid the SB800 with TTL would get messed up by headlights

Sep 09, 2016 at 11:06 AM
PShizzy
• • • • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · HS Football 1/2 time activity advice needed

manual flash is the way to go for this. you could do a test shot or two to make sure the flash is at the right settings. I'd consider going no higher than say 1/8th power, because you could fire off several shots as needed. If you had to go 1/4 and up, id consider getting both flashes up to fire manually so they share the load.

as for shutter speed, the 1/125th seems low, and really only affects the headlights. May best be served by 1/250th or so to make sure you dont get any ghosting from vehicle movement.

last comment: consider putting those flashes on a stick. on camera flash will light the people in front well, but fall off fast, and those people in the front would get the deer in the headlights look. also, vehicles and direct flash results in tons of weird speculars

Raising the flash high up creates a bit of distance between the flash and the people in the front, but doesnt make much diff to those in the back. that would light them more evenly, and if you get the flash high enough, the look is nicer, in my opinion.

im crazy, so ignore this part. but if it were me, id consider a second flash away from me, pointing directly at the crowd in back, gelled with the team colors. now youre painting your bg and adding some style to it. then id have the main flash up and behind me, and use it to paint just the car nearest me, which would then "feature" them. do that for each vehicle, and you have your shot.

tldr; yes use a manual flash

Sep 09, 2016 at 11:16 AM
MikeOCLT

p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · HS Football 1/2 time activity advice needed

PShizzy -
Thank you, good ideas. I like the colored gel for the fans idea. I'll have to see if I can set something up for them with out getting it run over by a car (sounds like a job for the Yongnuo)

Sep 09, 2016 at 11:48 AM

FM Forums | Sports Corner | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.