Home · Register · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username  

FM Forum Rules
Wedding Resource List

FM Forums | Wedding Photographer | Join Upload & Sell

2       3       end

Archive 2016 · I did an engagement session and the bride did not like the photos

Future Man
• •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · I did an engagement session and the bride did not like the photos

So I have never done engagement or wedding photos before but my friend who is getting married asked me to do an engagement session.

I thought it went pretty well but I guess the bride-to-be did not like the photos so much. My longest lens is a 50mm prime, so I'm thinking that was part of the problem? I should be using something longer?

I'm thinking of getting the Canon 135L so I have a lens that is more appropriate for portraits in situations like this.

Or maybe it's just my composition/positioning of the couple/communication on my end? I guess a lot of this (what works and doesn't) comes from experience as well.

here's the album I sent them:
http://sciulli.smugmug.com/Amy-Craig-Engagement-Photos/n-Zj6jxN/

any constructive criticism would be helpful.

Sep 08, 2016 at 03:43 PM
Future Man
• •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · I did an engagement session and the bride did not like the photos

BTW, I already offered to go back out with them, so I'll do another shorter session and hopefully get them to communicate a bit as to what more they'd like to see. I think I will have the 135L when we go again.

Sep 08, 2016 at 03:48 PM
eke2k6
• • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · I did an engagement session and the bride did not like the photos

Hmm it could be the editing. It's a little gritty and contrasts poorly (to my eye) with the happier expressions. She may also want her skin retouched more

Sep 08, 2016 at 03:49 PM
dhp_sf
• • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · I did an engagement session and the bride did not like the photos

Disappointment stems from expectations not being met. So in a nutshell, it just wasn't she expected.

If you're looking on a critique on the photos, I'd say that in general, they are fairly straight forward and centered. Exposure is fine and you're hitting focus but it's hard to feel anything looking at the photos. There's little emotion/connection between the two of them, and their bodies are fairly stiff throughout.

That said, if you've never done something like this, you can't overthink it. It's not really easy to do and takes time to figure out how to work with people and get them into their comfort zone. And then also a while to really see how you can take advantage of a scene. Lens choice certainly matters, but it is certainly possible to get an interesting set with just a 50 mm focal length.

For a proper critique I'd post 3-5 photos that you feel are the "best" in your eye and maybe people can help you see improvement from there.

Sep 08, 2016 at 03:54 PM
Ziffl3
• • • • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · I did an engagement session and the bride did not like the photos

First off .... what was the brides actual comments?

These are pretty solid.
Granted not many different poses... repeating pose just in different location.
I would say the processing, particularly on her face looks a little harsh. To much clarity(?) and or contrast.
There are images from the bridge which are not level.

Overall, the processing is not polished. This is not about the style/type you choose but the consistency throughout.

Also... what Duy said.... flat on emotion but could be the couple. Could be you too.

If you where going for solid with a lean on classic images. Work on the PP and the repetatvie poses.

If you want a more creative look, need to get the client out of the center of the image. gets boring.
You can add another lens ... but this is about being creative with your surroundings and client together creating compelling compositions that look good.
Also.. (just a little thing) how you see light and use it to your advantage .. in your compositions.
(still need to work on PP here too.)

-Mark

Sep 08, 2016 at 03:57 PM
Cal166
• •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · I did an engagement session and the bride did not like the photos

Went thru all the pictures and I agree with dhp_sf, they are straight forward and are OK. Most photographers here uses the 50mm including myself and it's my goto lens.

The only big problem I can see is your processing that needs a bit of help, colors are off...

Sep 08, 2016 at 04:07 PM
Future Man
• •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · I did an engagement session and the bride did not like the photos

The complaint my friend said is she thought she looked fat.

I don't want to judge, but I think she's a very pretty girl and fairly thin so I wasn't sure if it was the 50mm focal length and by going with something longer that would give me more compression? But going by the comments 50mm is extremely popular for these type of photos sessions. Also, she hasn't posted any of the photos on Instagram and that to me says she didn't really like them... though there's at least 5 photos I really like and feel it's a bit weird she didn't like any.

Agreed on stiff poses... I think that's me and the couple's fault.

I think I need to just start looking to wedding/engagement photo albums online and figuring out some new poses/ideas if I want to do more of this type of photography going forward.

Yes editing could have been more consistent. I used some subtle stylized filters on some of the photos and I guess I need to either do that on all of them or none. I do use the clarity slider but maybe step off that a bit...

I will post a few of my favorites later, my WIFI connection is very choppy right now.

thanks so much for the critiques so far.

Sep 08, 2016 at 04:19 PM
BSPhotog
• • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · I did an engagement session and the bride did not like the photos

Agree with Duy & Mark above. Did you have a conversation with the couple (both of them) about what they were looking for and expectations? Honestly, the set is mostly solid in many ways. Processing looks a bit too crunchy for my taste (clarity slider probably). You were working in some semi-harsh light for some of this, so that isn't doing any favors either. Buying a 135L isn't going to solve any of this. Let us know if there is anything specific that the bride/couple was looking for or disappointed by.

Sep 08, 2016 at 04:23 PM
Dj R
• • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · I did an engagement session and the bride did not like the photos

can you try posting link for someone to download and edit a raw file?
I think you can salvage most of these, they are overcooked in the pp microwave.

edit, read her later comments, that she feels that she looks fat.
can't help that much in post.
good luck on the second attempt.

Edited on Sep 08, 2016 at 04:33 PM · View previous versions

Sep 08, 2016 at 04:27 PM
TJRidgway

p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · I did an engagement session and the bride did not like the photos

Biggest thing that stands out to me is that it's very stiff and the lack of variety in facial expressions. Each of them have over 80% of the shots with the exact same smile and eyes. I know my wife would HATE that. Engage with them more, get them into it a bit more, less posed. That's my $0.02.

Sep 08, 2016 at 04:29 PM
lilyphoto
• • •
p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · I did an engagement session and the bride did not like the photos

As a female, I agree with her that she doesn't look as thin as she probably is in real life as she does in these photos. Many of the angles and poses are not the most flattering. For example #1 you could have had them angled a bit more so that the side of her body (especially her arm) wasn't so straight on with the camera, and so that she wasn't more forward than her fiance. It makes her look bigger than him, something she definitely doesn't want.

In the majority of the photos her arm is pressed to her body and/or straight on at the camera -- this is going to make her look larger than she is.

In my opinion, the most flattering pose of her is towards the end of the set where they're kissing and her foot is kicked up. He is more camera forward than she is, and she's angled in a flattering way.

I've dealt with unhappy brides in this manner as well. It just takes time to learn posing and what's most flattering. I still am learning 7 years into it!

Sep 08, 2016 at 05:52 PM
IrishDino
• • • •
p.1 #12 · p.1 #12 · I did an engagement session and the bride did not like the photos

Easiest solution is to buy a stepstool and shoot down on them with an 85 or 135

Her arm is almost always the closest thing to the camera, which makes it look bigger than it "really" is.

Fix your processing. Everything is overcooked.

You do those 3 things and you'll be in better shape.

Sep 08, 2016 at 06:48 PM
glort
• • • •
[X]
p.1 #13 · p.1 #13 · I did an engagement session and the bride did not like the photos

Are you doing the wedding Pics?
Haven't looked at the engagement pics and don't really think they are very important atm. From teh comments of others they aren't trash so that's enough.

What I would be concerning myself with is making sure they are happy If you are shooting the wedding as well.

If not, Meh, I have had size 6 Girls say they looked fat ( and more than 1) when they looked anorexic.
Funny though, never had a fat girl say she looked fat. They are overall far more happy within themselves, outgoing and contented. And far easier clients to get along with. And due to generally having higher levels of self confidence, are often a lot sexier and outgoing than the "ideal" sized women.
It's the girls who aren't fat than have the hangups and self doubts.

If you are shooting the wedding you need to have a sit down with the bride and make sure you know what she wants. This ISN'T a gear issue. It runs much deeper than that and you need to figure out if you can meet those expectations, if she is reasonable or you have a bridezilla on your hands and work out which way to go with this.

If you are not shooting the wedding, $50 says she will same the same thing no matter who shoots her.
Enjoy the day and be relieved you're off the hook.

Sep 08, 2016 at 08:13 PM
Mar73
• • •
p.1 #14 · p.1 #14 · I did an engagement session and the bride did not like the photos

I reviewed the pictures and agree with most of the comments above. She is NOT fat so you may have a bride with some issues as stated above. Having him camera forward in more shots will help. Also, have her close her mouth and not smile as much in the next set. She has a beautiful smile but you have already captured that. Just be sure that the closed mouth does not turn into or look like "RBF". Try to "connect" with them more. Maybe go out for a late lunch and have a great time with your friend and his new bride and they will loosen up in front of the camera.

Sep 08, 2016 at 08:51 PM
J Knight
• •
p.1 #15 · p.1 #15 · I did an engagement session and the bride did not like the photos

Not sure if anyone has said this, not read all the comments, but art is very personal. Usually when a couple chooses a photographer they look through portfolios and only contact the people they have liked when viewing samples. More than half the battle is won by the photographer at that point.

I know there are conversations further up about posing and editing and I am sure you will be looking into this.

It is also worth bearing in mind that the bride may have seen images by other artists and had hoped your style and artistic eye would replicate them. This of course is very difficult to do.

Part of the point of the engagement photos is to see if the couple and photographer can work together and if the images of them fit with what they imagined them to be.

If it turns out you just do not fit with her imagination, its important to remember that is no ones fault at all, just a clash of taste in art. You may wish to gallantly give them the option to look around for another photographer that fits the image the bride has in mind for the wedding images and just stick to giving them a free engagement shoot as your gift. Frankly it might save yourself a lot of time and grief. It may even be she had a particular photographer already in mind and has felt it necessary to give way to the grooms wishes instead.

Art - we all have differing likes and personal taste is no ones fault, it just is.

Sep 09, 2016 at 06:16 AM
ANegm

p.1 #16 · p.1 #16 · I did an engagement session and the bride did not like the photos

i don't know if it is just me but the 50mm perspective is just plain Boring, IMO with a 135mm and getting the couple out of the center + some less clarity, you will be having a good set... A variety of different/romantic poses could help also.

I love how every time i see a 50mm i do not regret selling mine at all.

Sep 09, 2016 at 06:43 AM
michaelglenn
• •
p.1 #17 · p.1 #17 · I did an engagement session and the bride did not like the photos

I'm just curious, but did the bride see a portfolio of your work? What type of photography do you normally do?

In all honesty, I don't see how these photographs are unappealing to most couples. I can repeat the crowd and say the processing was a bit heavy, some shots too close up, weaker storytelling than usual, etc. But all of this comes with practice. For a first session, you did pretty well in my eyes. Take the critiques you agree with, and keep that in mind for the next session.

Don't let this session get to you too much. If the bride never saw a portfolio of you photographing people, how would she know what to expect? People have different styles and tastes, which is why there are so many of us wedding photographers out there.

As for her complaining about her weight, this is just her own insecurities. Yeah you can go into the next session shooting with a longer lens and angling downward to make her look more narrow, but don't let that be the main theme. Work on storytelling, composition, and lighter/consistent post processing.

Good luck and happy shooting!

Sep 09, 2016 at 07:26 AM
ITR010342
• •
p.1 #18 · p.1 #18 · I did an engagement session and the bride did not like the photos

The guy has mostly the same expression in most of the shots, which are squinty and kind of unnatural... may just be his natural expression though. A couple of the shots in the middle of the set seem shot a little too close with a wide angle, making exaggerated features. Overall, some nice shots though!

A 135L or 70-200 would help a lot with making more intimate close shots!

Sep 09, 2016 at 09:00 AM
RSHPhotography
• • •
p.1 #19 · p.1 #19 · I did an engagement session and the bride did not like the photos

Their expressions don't vary. Not enough emotion in the shots. When they do its a pull back shot that doesn't let you get close.

I would not ask the bride to tell you what she doesn't like but what she does.

This is learning experience.

Forget the 135. Rent the 70-200 IS. Give yourself flexibility.

For an engagement session, a 35mm prime and the 70-200 is all you need.

My biggest issue with this set are the lack of spontaneous shots. You have to look for and anticipate moments that define their relationship.

There are lots of YouTube videos on this subject. That will help you more than gear.

Sep 09, 2016 at 09:36 AM
Mark_L
• • • • •
p.1 #20 · p.1 #20 · I did an engagement session and the bride did not like the photos

Props for posting them here for us to see and asking advice without getting defensive. With this approach you’ll go far!

The biggest thing I see is there are lots and lots of shots of couple standing next to each other saying cheese to the camera snapshot style. You NEED to strive for more than this as a wedding photog, most couple have no clue wtf to do and need you to guide them. What you REALLy want from engagement (and wedding) pictures is to really showcase and capture who the couple are and how they feel about each other. It is an emotional reaction you are looking to instil and evoke when they and others see these pictures. If you do not have this all the other photog stuff is largely irrelevant to anyone but other photogs (and why I dislike the fashion of ‘epic’ super wide shots).

Stop worrying about you 50mm and start worrying about eliciting and capturing genuine feeling in your pictures. If you have that you could take them on an iPhone and they’d love them. My guide with e-sessions is make it look like you are a fly on the wall during their date.

Otherwise your pictures are competent, sometimes the backgrounds a bit cluttered or too much on focus for what they are which can get a bit snap-shotey. If the scene isn’t really adding then shot go for shallow dof.

A few more minor things now the main point is out of the way: don’t drive yourself crazy over this. These first time ‘favour for a friend’ style situations are always tricky, often people are exacting expensive pro levels of work even though it is free (because he has a good camera, right? )

Also, some people just don’t really like the way they look or have an idea of how they look which doesn’t match reality and what they will see in pictures. You then get the blame for this. This is completely independent of physical attractiveness too btw. You may just have had the misfortune to hit on one of these sorts of people (if so, shame because she’s stunning!)

Sep 09, 2016 at 09:48 AM
       2       3       end

FM Forums | Wedding Photographer | Join Upload & Sell

2       3       end

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.