FM Forum Rules
Landscape Posting Guidelines

FM Forums | Landscape Photographer | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2016 · White Sands National Monument, NM

Paul.K
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · White Sands National Monument, NM

Took a trip to New Mexico over Labor Day Weekend and was able to get one of the backcountry permits to camp overnight in the park. I packed my D700 and 80-200mm f/2.8 and 20mm f/1.8G and had one of the most enjoyable photography adventures ever. I am pretty excited about the photos Critiques welcome though too.

1. http://i.imgur.com/TWoQS1A.jpg

2. http://i.imgur.com/vxb6j86.jpg

3. http://i.imgur.com/r68KiPk.jpg

4. http://i.imgur.com/wZ2NRcl.jpg

5. http://i.imgur.com/XNNyncJ.jpg

Edited on Sep 07, 2016 at 11:19 PM

Sep 07, 2016 at 10:45 PM
_todd_

p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · White Sands National Monument, NM

Congrats on the great trip! All wonderful images and #1 is definitely my fave of the lot. If it were mine I might try to fix up the flare in the bottom foreground shadow area to make it all even toned...

Sep 08, 2016 at 12:26 AM
Dark_night

p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · White Sands National Monument, NM

This is beautiful! First image is amazing. I wish you had the clouds at the top left included a bit more though.

The second one is simple and elegant and I really want to like it! I feel that the white sand is taking up too much of the space. The image would look a lot stronger if you had less of the white sandy area at the bottom, instead, had a bit more sky in the shot. The 3 shrubs are fantastic.

The third one has a bit of haloing going on, otherwise its cool.

I love that lizard! He is so freaking cool! So white and pearly! I love how the sand adds to the photo by complimenting his scales!

In the 4th one, I see a purple line on the left side of the image, typically formed by lifting the shadows a lot or pulling up black levels. Also, the curvy line on the right lower side of the frame, immediately leads me out of the frame, making the image very right heavy. Do you have any version of this where the camera is panned a bit more to the right?

Nice to know that you had fun on the trip! My wife has been wanting to go this place for a long time. We might do it soon actually.

Sep 08, 2016 at 01:27 AM
Paul.K
• • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · White Sands National Monument, NM

Mukul, thank you for taking the time to critique the photos; I just looked at your website and I'm humbled you even commented. All your suggestions instantly clicked for me and I appreciate your keen eye. I wouldn't have noticed those things until you said something. I think the novelty of the white sand biased my compositions to include more--seemed like a waste to include boring 'ole sky when I can get that anywhere But you're right, its unbalanced in 1 and 2.

EDIT:

Here's another night shot which was composed with more balance (and reprocessed to avoid the purpling in the corner):

http://i.imgur.com/kYAmYFf.jpg

Fixed haloing (fortunately it was only a sharpening artefact, not because I boosted highlight recovery/shadows so it was easy to fix):
http://i.imgur.com/1pTEIUw.jpg

Recropped the three yucca photo (and removed the fallen over stalk):
http://i.imgur.com/fvyxS6q.jpg

Sep 08, 2016 at 03:47 AM
psharvic
• • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · White Sands National Monument, NM

Nice work on these, Paul. White Sands is a really neat area. The 1st is a standout for me.

Sep 08, 2016 at 05:13 AM
Jim Bau
• • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · White Sands National Monument, NM

A fine set of images. I am especially liking #2. Well done!

Sep 08, 2016 at 02:56 PM
Brian Woolf
• • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · White Sands National Monument, NM

Very nice set of images, #1 is particularly fine.
Brian

Sep 08, 2016 at 03:03 PM
Rob Eckert
• • •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · White Sands National Monument, NM

#5 is the money shot for me.
Rob

Sep 08, 2016 at 06:02 PM
Paul.K
• • •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · White Sands National Monument, NM

Thanks for the compliments, all. Number 1 was my favorite (since we're all choosing).

Sep 09, 2016 at 02:52 PM
Tuan Le
• • •
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · White Sands National Monument, NM

Nice series Paul. I particularly like your first 3 images. #2 is my favorite though I would prefer cropping half the sky rather than the sand.

Sep 10, 2016 at 12:14 AM
cputeq
• • • • •
p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · White Sands National Monument, NM

Great series, #1 for me. Your shots look so much better than mine from that trip haha...I know it can be hard to dodge people during the day there.

Sep 10, 2016 at 12:24 AM
Paul.K
• • •
p.1 #12 · p.1 #12 · White Sands National Monument, NM

cputeq wrote:
Great series, #1 for me. Your shots look so much better than mine from that trip haha...I know it can be hard to dodge people during the day there.

Staying overnight was very helpful for this since they closed the park at 8pm right after sunset and then only 10 camp permits are issued per night.

Thanks Tuan. To be clear, you're saying you like how the original image is cropped vs. the one with more sky?

Sep 10, 2016 at 10:05 PM
dgdg
• • • • •
p.1 #13 · p.1 #13 · White Sands National Monument, NM

These are very nice with a great variety of scenes.

David

Sep 12, 2016 at 10:08 AM
Paul.K
• • •
p.1 #14 · p.1 #14 · White Sands National Monument, NM

Thanks David. It was easy to make a lot of similar pictures of white sand but I was surprised at the depth of photographic opportunity!

Sep 13, 2016 at 04:30 PM
triggermike
• •
p.1 #15 · p.1 #15 · White Sands National Monument, NM

I like #2 and the recropped version of the same. This shot would probably be a great candidate for a B+W version.

Sep 18, 2016 at 08:14 PM
SharonCat...
• •
p.1 #16 · p.1 #16 · White Sands National Monument, NM

That first one is such a cool shot, you really have to look at if for a while to fully appreciate all that you've captured. The mix of textures is what I like best. #3 is also a bit of a sleeper until you look at it closely and see the foreground take shape.

Sep 21, 2016 at 09:16 AM
Sharona
• • • •
p.1 #17 · p.1 #17 · White Sands National Monument, NM

Very nice. I am envious that you got to spend the night, and it seems as though you were able to avoid footprints! I was there just for an afternoon last Dec., and there were footprints everywhere. Would love to go back.

Sep 21, 2016 at 09:47 AM
Paul.K
• • •
p.1 #18 · p.1 #18 · White Sands National Monument, NM

Mike, for #2, I actually had to shoot very low in order to "place" a sand dune in the foreground to mask some other vegetation. You can barely see it but if you look closely, there is a blurry arching curve in the lower third of the image.

Sharon, thanks for taking a close look at the images. Maybe I should brighten up the foreground of #3 to show more of the dunes. Thanks!

Sharona, yeah, we were lucky. We had to wait in line before the visitor's center opened because it was a holiday weekend. I understand it's easier other times of the year.

Sep 23, 2016 at 07:39 PM
matthewsaville
• • •
p.1 #19 · p.1 #19 · White Sands National Monument, NM

Wow, that is an amazing set of images! And the 2nd set is even more impressive, very well done. The very first one is quite gorgeous too though, and I do feel like the sky could benefit from being a little less "recovered". Either way, what an amazing trip that must have been!

Sep 23, 2016 at 10:26 PM

FM Forums | Landscape Photographer | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.