Home · Register · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username  

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Trip Location Advice & Meet-ups | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2016 · Best Photo Workshops in Oregon?

Gary Clennan
• • • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Best Photo Workshops in Oregon?

I'm considering taking a landscape photography workshop in Oregon next spring. Looking for something around 4 days in length - preferably in the Gorge area. I don't get to do too many of these things so I will be looking for the best of the best so to speak. If anyone has any advice or recommendations, please share it here or shoot me a PM. Thanks in advance.

Sep 07, 2016 at 04:19 PM
GroovyGeek
• • • •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Best Photo Workshops in Oregon?

Nothing else out there like Marc Adamus' workshops.
http://www.marcadamus.com/

They do fill up fast, within an hour or two after he announces them, so you need to be on an 18 month lead time. In fact, anything that is still not fully booked for this coming April needs to be examined carefully. It's a bit like contractors - anyone telling you they can start your job tomorrow should raise your antennae a bit. Sure, there are young up and coming guys (they ARE almost all guys) who may have spaces, but in that case you better examine the portfolio carefully and ask lots of questions to know what you are getting yourself into. Workshops are a dime a dozen nowadays, and it seems that many think just because they own an SLR, can turn vibrance to 11 and know how to use the doge and burn tool they can lead one.

I don't think Marc runs anything in OR in the spring. I have taken a few workshops with others, but the educational level and the experience of seeing Marc in action is something else. Ever since taking my first trip with him my itch to buy photo gear has disappeared, but now I have way too many sleeping bags, winter jackets, hats and gloves :-). My photography and ability to pre-plan a trip and scout a location has improved drastically. Well worth the money.

Edited on Sep 10, 2016 at 06:16 AM · View previous versions

Sep 07, 2016 at 11:48 PM
Abbott Schindl
• • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Best Photo Workshops in Oregon?

You might look into whether Photo Cascadia is running any workshops there. Excellent photographers with a definite style that may or may not appeal to you.

Alternately, if you're not firmly set on the Gorge, you might consider something on the Oregon Coast or Central Oregon. While I like the Gorge area, I find the coastal geography and some of the eastern Cascades opportunities more rewarding in terms of diversity and people density.

Sep 08, 2016 at 03:04 AM
JimFox
• • • • • • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Best Photo Workshops in Oregon?

What about Mark Metternich? He is located up in Oregon when he isn't down in the SW.

Jim

Sep 08, 2016 at 11:20 AM
Dustin Gent
• • • • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Best Photo Workshops in Oregon?

Alex Mody

Alex Noriega

They run workshops together sometimes. Ive met both of them, both super cool, fwiw.

Sep 08, 2016 at 03:08 PM
fishjump
• • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Best Photo Workshops in Oregon?

I'll 2nd taking one of Mark Metternich's workshops (in fact I am waiting on his proposed dates for Oregon, which should be out in the next couple of weeks!).

Having just returned from a 6-day workshop with Mark in the SW, and I can testify the amount of handwork and thoughtfulness that Mark exerts to his clients. just don't expect much sleep though.

Sep 14, 2016 at 08:40 AM
msoomro
• • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · Best Photo Workshops in Oregon?

I second GroovyGeek on Marc Adamus. Excellent guy with multiple skills. PM me if u need more info.

Photo Cascadia is a group and each photographer is at different skill level. Couple of them are quite good. Id recommend talking to folks who have been with them to make your choice. As above, PM me if you wish to know about my experience.

Sep 14, 2016 at 10:52 PM
billsamuels
• • • •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · Best Photo Workshops in Oregon?

If you do anything on your own, I would visit Mt Hood, especially the Timberline Lodge for some great photography and astro-photography.

Take the Century Highway from Bend, Oregon and visit the lakes along it. Terrific photos of beautiful lakes with snow-capped volcanoes in the background. If you get there the right time of year, you can also get some amazing lightening photography in these areas as well, especially if you have a switch that takes photos as the lightening strikes.

Have a great time,
Bill

Sep 20, 2016 at 01:47 PM

FM Forums | Trip Location Advice & Meet-ups | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.