Username  

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | General Gear-talk | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2016 · Micro SD to SD adapters stop working one by one

p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Micro SD to SD adapters stop working one by one

Good day!
I've been using Micro SD cards in my camera (Canon 1D Mark IV) for a while, but recently, I've noticed that the adapters are stopping working one by one. I have 4 cards with adapters (3 of them matched to the original cards, one oddball since the matching one has already stopped working a while ago). Some combinations work in the camera but the card readers and the laptop are unable to "see" them. When I'm using the Micro SD cards bare with the card reader (or in the adapter that is known to work well), they're all healthy.

Anyone knows what might be causing this, and what can be done (apart from just keeping changing the adapters)?

The cards in question are the Transcend (2 units) and SanDisk (1 unit), all 32 GB SDHC UHS-1. The fourth is a SiliconPower 16GB SDHC I keep in the smartphone at all times, so it doesn't get used outside it very often. It is the oldest (3+ years) and its adapter was the first to kick the bucket, having been replaced by an oddball Kingston one.

Thanks in advance!

Sep 07, 2016 at 02:40 PM

p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Micro SD to SD adapters stop working one by one

(I am cross posting this thread to the Canon forum to bump it, even though the problem is likely not Canon-specific).

Sep 08, 2016 at 05:34 AM
jcolwell
• • • • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Micro SD to SD adapters stop working one by one

Hi Ilya,

Is there any particular reason that you're using micro-SD cards in your 1D IV ? Mine's usually loaded with a Transcend CF 64 GB UDMA 7 600x card and a Transcend SD 32 GB SDHC Class 10 600x (85/45) card. On the 1D IV, I use the SD card as a hot spare, as opposed to the 1DX where I wrote all files to both CF cards (64GB 1000x). I have a few micro-SD adapters that came with cards I use in my phone (now it's up to 64 GB), but I would only use one in a 'full size' SD slot if I didn't have a decent SD card available.

Jim

Sep 08, 2016 at 06:12 AM
dhphoto
• • • • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Micro SD to SD adapters stop working one by one

jcolwell wrote:
I have a few micro-SD adapters that came with cards I use in my phone (now it's up to 64 GB), but I would only use one in a 'full size' SD slot if I didn't have a decent SD card available.

Jim

+1

I also use SD/CF converters in all my CF-slot dslr's because I much prefer using SD cards

I can't see a good reason for using micro SD unless you have a very cheap source of them

Sep 08, 2016 at 07:09 AM

p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Micro SD to SD adapters stop working one by one

I swore off CF long ago because I never liked them in the first place (and have suffered a few instances of bent pins - thankfully only in card readers) over the years. I switched to SD then as they don't require a separate reader when using a laptop (as I usually do). Later, when I got the smartphone I switched to Micro SD to have the cards that I can use in any device, AND to transfer the images from the camera to the smartphone for quick sending without having to fiddle with wires and (not entirely reliable & straightforward) apps. Of course going back to SD and just switching to using the USB/OTG cables again makes some sense... but I'd be left with a bunch of adapterless cards anyway. It's the adapters that I'm worried about.

Sep 08, 2016 at 08:17 AM
dhphoto
• • • • • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Micro SD to SD adapters stop working one by one

I have no knowledge on this subject at all so may be way off-base but I doubt the micro-sd/sd converters are really designed for such heavy duty throughput as that found in dslrs

I reckon they are just failing because you are expecting them to do stuff they weren't really designed for

Just my 2p

I have found the CF/SD converters very reliable

Sep 08, 2016 at 09:05 AM
qc_mountain
• • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · Micro SD to SD adapters stop working one by one

Maybe it is the computer connector that is getting worn out try your adapter on friend computer and see if it works ...

Or might be a windows related problem sometimes windows is very finicky .

Francois

Sep 08, 2016 at 09:05 AM

p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · Micro SD to SD adapters stop working one by one

dhphoto wrote:
I have no knowledge on this subject at all so may be way off-base but I doubt the micro-sd/sd converters are really designed for such heavy duty throughput as that found in dslrs
I reckon they are just failing because you are expecting them to do stuff they weren't really designed for

Just my 2p

I have found the CF/SD converters very reliable

Hmm... what's so heavy duty about working in a slot (inside a device it was meant to be used in) in the first place? I have a nagging suspicion that since I'm only really using one adapter / card at a time (due to only having one camera for daily use), it's the NON-USAGE that does the rest of them in - say, the slightly worn connectors are corroding due to humidity. Even though I live in a place where high humidity in summer isn't a particularly strong issue (but we've had an unusually rainy season this year), where my parents live it's so bad that they (almost) wrote off a decent laptop because the keyboard stopped working due to loss of contact after it was laying around without usage for a year and a half. But I cannot confirm the connection in my case. Anybody else have this kind of problems? (say, in SE Asia)

qc_mountain wrote:
Maybe it is the computer connector that is getting worn out try your adapter on friend computer and see if it works ...
Or might be a windows related problem sometimes windows is very finicky .
Francois

Well, some combos (2 adapters, to be precise) are no longer recognized even by the camera. One more works in the camera but not in the computer or any of the card readers I've tried so far. All the cards work fine when used "bare" or paired with "good" adapters (I've discovered one more in the household apart the one I'm using daily - it's the one that came with the voice recorder I bought for the Missus). It's all so damn weird that I don't know what to think of this all.

Sep 08, 2016 at 11:01 AM
Andrew J
• • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · Micro SD to SD adapters stop working one by one

Sounds to my like a small amount of residue inside/outside the converter is preventing contact.

Sep 22, 2016 at 12:11 PM

FM Forums | General Gear-talk | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.