New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Nikon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2016 · Lots of hot pixels, need advice

tzic
• •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Lots of hot pixels, need advice

Hello,

I took some very long exposures and an unpleasant surprise waited for me when I edited the photos in Photoshop. In magnification of 100% or bigger there are hundreds of red pixels. I dont know if these are hot pixels dead pixels or anything else. They appear only in these very long exposure shors of 100, 200 or more seconds.

Any advice on how to get rid of them?

Take a look

Sep 07, 2016 at 01:31 PM
Chris Court
• • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Lots of hot pixels, need advice

https://support.nikonusa.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/15/~/how-does-the-noise-reduction-feature-of-my-digital-camera-work%3F

C

Sep 07, 2016 at 01:39 PM
tntcorp
• • • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Lots of hot pixels, need advice

Chris Court wrote:
https://support.nikonusa.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/15/~/how-does-the-noise-reduction-feature-of-my-digital-camera-work%3F

C

i am interested in the responses as well.

1) in-camera-long-exposure as well as high iso nr didn't completely eliminated hot pixels from my images.

2) lightroom color nr does remove hot pixels, or at least decreases their highlight, but stills not 100% removal.

3) plan to run through nik-dfine but need some primer readings on it use.

i am interested in the responses from this questions as well.

Sep 07, 2016 at 02:00 PM
tzic
• •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Lots of hot pixels, need advice

Thank you for the replies. @tntcorp I tried adobe camera raw, noise ninja and raw therapee. All of them did a good jod. The images are not 100% fixed but they are usable at least. Raw Therapee has a very nice support forum. Please check the responses I got here.

Also I found this very interesting post, comparing sensor - cameras. It also shows a small trick with photoshop which it didnt work for me (my image OOTC was a total mess)
Finaly another user suggested Nikon D810a but I havent found any reference on line or any comparison for this sensor.

It looks like that my Nikons D610 sensor is one of the worst for long and very long exposurs

Sep 09, 2016 at 12:37 PM
eltano
• • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Lots of hot pixels, need advice

If you have LR, you could try with the Spot Removal function (ALT Q if I remember correctly) that might help as well.

My .02 cents.

Regards

Eltano

Sep 09, 2016 at 03:12 PM
mysh
• • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Lots of hot pixels, need advice

What Camera?

If they are stuck pixels you can clean the sensor a couple times in a row in camera. Have no idea why but this worked for me with my D810.

Also if you want to clean up that image I found this photoshop video to be very helpful.

" target="_blank" rel="nofollow">

it talks about time lapse and making action. I didn't do these steps but you can just do the steps for your single image and it works very well.

Sep 09, 2016 at 03:29 PM
Joseph.
• • • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · Lots of hot pixels, need advice

Content aware tool in PS has always worked for me

Sep 09, 2016 at 05:26 PM
mysh
• • •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · Lots of hot pixels, need advice

Joseph. wrote:
Content aware tool in PS has always worked for me

Yes content aware works well for many things including this, but sometimes there is a lot of them and it can be very tedious. The method I posted above works very well for pics with lots of hot pixels. It also saves a lot of time.

Sep 09, 2016 at 06:13 PM
LMT1972
• • •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · Lots of hot pixels, need advice

Have you tried stacking multiple exposures in PS? I encounter this issue with my D600 however unless you are printing or displaying large images it's not going to be a major issue.

http://digital-photography-school.com/how-to-improve-your-long-exposure-with-photo-stacking/

Cheers
Leigh

Sep 09, 2016 at 06:34 PM
snapsy
• • • • • •
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · Lots of hot pixels, need advice

Most if not all of the static hot pixels can be removed by doing a hot pixel remap cycle. The easiest way to accomplish this is by performing two automated sensor cleanings back-to-back in quick succession.

Sep 09, 2016 at 06:38 PM
tzic
• •
p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · Lots of hot pixels, need advice

snapsy wrote:
Most if not all of the static hot pixels can be removed by doing a hot pixel remap cycle. The easiest way to accomplish this is by performing two automated sensor cleanings back-to-back in quick succession.

Can you please be more specific? I have a d610, settings > Clean image sensor twice?

Sep 10, 2016 at 04:32 PM
snapsy
• • • • • •
p.1 #12 · p.1 #12 · Lots of hot pixels, need advice

tzic wrote:
Can you please be more specific? I have a d610, settings > Clean image sensor twice?

Yep, that'll do it. One right after the other.

Sep 10, 2016 at 05:18 PM
tntcorp
• • • •
p.1 #13 · p.1 #13 · Lots of hot pixels, need advice

snapsy wrote:

that will help while shooting. but besides using the median and pin filters in ps, are there any other post-processing techniques?

thanks for the tip.

Sep 10, 2016 at 06:54 PM
mysh
• • •
p.1 #14 · p.1 #14 · Lots of hot pixels, need advice

Just wanted to add what I do with the median tip. I don't like it effecting the whole image since normally the hot pixels are only in certain areas.
So I will apply the median trick very strongly to the image. I then take the original image without the median and I blend it with the image with the median applied.

That way I don't ruin the integrity of the whole image and I can be selective with where its applied. This has worked very well for me.
For example I don't want the median to be applied to the night sky but I want it on the dark rocks in the foreground. Doing the blend trick gets around this issue.

tntcorp wrote:
that will help while shooting. but besides using the median and pin filters in ps, are there any other post-processing techniques?

thanks for the tip.

Sep 10, 2016 at 07:21 PM
tntcorp
• • • •
p.1 #15 · p.1 #15 · Lots of hot pixels, need advice

mysh wrote:
Just wanted to add what I do with the median tip. I don't like it effecting the whole image since normally the hot pixels are only in certain areas.
So I will apply the median trick very strongly to the image. I then take the original image without the median and I blend it with the image with the median applied.

That way I don't ruin the integrity of the whole image and I can be selective with where its applied. This has worked very well for me.
For example I don't want the median to be applied to the night
...Show more

mysh - thank you for the blending info as well. :-)

Sep 12, 2016 at 08:43 AM

FM Forums | Nikon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.