New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Leica & Alternative Gear | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2016 · zeiss 135, yes or no

boshek
• • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · zeiss 135, yes or no

I want this lens as an alternative to the Nikon 200mm f2. NOW the hard part is the MF a deal breaker?? I will only use it for portraits when time allows. I don't want a 2k lens sitting in the bag because its a pita to use. I do a little bit of everything so even if I bought the 200mm I know it would only be used in specific situations, should I be looking at the Zeiss the same way?? as a specialized, limited use lens?? anyone who owns I'd appreciate the feedback on living with a mf lens. tia

Sep 07, 2016 at 07:35 AM
jcolwell
• • • • • • •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · zeiss 135, yes or no

MF isn't that big a deal. Especially if you use LiveView on a tripod. I generally get good results with handheld MF lenses, too, but I developed my skills way back, before AF was introduced. Of course, I prefer using a FF camera for handheld MF shooting, because their finders are relatively bright. Sometimes, I use a Zacuto Z-Finder on the rear LCD for handheld LiveView shooting. Also, many people use special focus screens for manual focus, which are available for some but not all cameras

Based on recent threads, I'd be very tempted by the new Samyang/Rokinon 135mm APO lens. Although, Zeiss is nice.

P.S. you can practice MF with your existing lenses...

Sep 07, 2016 at 07:45 AM
camboman
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · zeiss 135, yes or no

Some people need autofocus. Some people prefer manual focus. Which of these statements describes you best? I love my Zeiss 135, but it definitely requires a slower, more deliberate pace to use. I think this is preferable when shooting portraits, but others may disagree. The lens has a perfectly damped focus that feels just right to me and it balances well on my D800e. I would never consider selling my copy.

I would recommend that you rent one for a weekend before deciding if it's right for you.

Sep 07, 2016 at 07:53 AM
arduluth
• • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · zeiss 135, yes or no

Whether or not you can handle MF really depends on you. We really can't tell you if you can handle it or not, that's something you'll have to answer yourself. As @jcolwell said, try practicing on your existing lenses, using a lens that is as close as you can get to the same focal length and aperture. A 70-200mm f/2.8 at 135mm would give you a good sense of MF with the Zeiss 135/2. Limit yourself to a weekend or an outing using manual focus, if you've never used MF I imagine it'd take some getting used to.

90% of my shooting is with manual focus lenses. Unlike jcolwell, I didn't initially develop skills with film cameras and had never used a film SLR before learning manual focus on digital. Point being, you definitely don't need a long history with MF SLRs to live the manual focus life.

Sep 07, 2016 at 11:27 AM
No Regrets
• • • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · zeiss 135, yes or no

The Zeiss 135APO is my favorite lens! I've also got the Zeiss 21, Nikon 105P, Nikon 85ais, all of which are MF. The only AF I have is my Sigma Art 50, which I also love. Practicing manual focus on an autofocus is a good idea, but will not be the same experience due to the fact that the feel and throw of the Zeiss focus ring is so much nicer... Meaning it will be smoother and a longer throw giving you a finer focus. The Zeiss 135APO is a very clear lens and is very easy to see your subject pop into or out of focus.
I enjoy shooting manual focus because it's a much more intimate experience, it's more rewarding when you capture a wonderful image, and often times more accurate than auto focus.
The Zeiss 135 is truly a remarkable lens with outstanding detail, colors, and micro contrast often never needing any help in post processing. It's built like a tank and will last several lifetimes
Oh, did I mention that I really love this lens

Sep 07, 2016 at 03:45 PM
flash
• • • • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · zeiss 135, yes or no

What camera??

Personally the modern finders in DSLRs make manual focus a PITA. And they're mostly non interchangeable to anything decent. EVF cameras are easy to MF.

And the Zeiss APO135 is Otus quality. One of the best ever made. Great great lens.

Gordon

Sep 07, 2016 at 03:57 PM
TheEmrys
• • • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · zeiss 135, yes or no

If you are using a Nikon body, yes. Its an amazing lens. If its a Sony body, look at the Sony CZ135/1.8. It is a pretty special lens.

Sep 07, 2016 at 05:10 PM
moosehead222
• •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · zeiss 135, yes or no

I just pulled the trigger on the Z135 and I do not think the manual focus is an issue.
This was my concern.
I still use the confirmation most of the time but I find that I am spot on most of the time.

Amazing lens.

Sep 07, 2016 at 06:01 PM
boshek
• • •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · zeiss 135, yes or no

ill be using it on a D5 or a D750, I think I am going to pull the trigger. ty all for the advice.

Sep 07, 2016 at 07:05 PM
rico
• • • • •
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · zeiss 135, yes or no

I consider a 135mm prime to be specialized if you "do a little bit of everything". That said, the 135-200mm FL range is really nice for headshots, and manual focus is workable if the subject will sit still. This is not the case for children (father of 9-year old speaking). It is also not the case for dynamic situations like candids or fashion. I gave up on my manual-focus 135/4, and now use the Nikkor 70-200/4 VR for all portraiture (studio or otherwise). The focus hit-rate and convenience is hard to resist. For tabletop, scenics, and high-tech portraits, I do have the manual-focus Rokinon 135/2 which outguns the CZ 135/2 optically (if slightly).

Sep 07, 2016 at 08:57 PM
boshek
• • •
p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · zeiss 135, yes or no

I am on the edge so I have cancelled the order, 2k is a lot for something you aren't sure of.

Sep 08, 2016 at 07:58 AM
edwardkaraa
• • • • • •
p.1 #12 · p.1 #12 · zeiss 135, yes or no

It's been several years that I didn't shoot with a DSLR, but I find manual focusing very easy with longer lenses. My hit rate with anything longer than 85mm was close to 100%. The problem is rather with wides.

Sep 08, 2016 at 08:37 AM
No Regrets
• • • •
p.1 #13 · p.1 #13 · zeiss 135, yes or no

boshek wrote:
I am on the edge so I have cancelled the order, 2k is a lot for something you aren't sure of.

$2k is a lot of money to spend, but every time I use my Zeiss 135 APO it puts such a huge smile on my face and makes me feel that it's been the best money I've ever spent on a lens. The colors, detail, contrast is unbelievable! Not to mention the feel of it in your hands, the build quality, no autofocus or vr to brake on you, etc.

Maybe what you should do is either rent one or put out some feelers to see if there are any other photogs living near your area that have the Zeiss that you could get together for a little shoot and try it out.

Order from B&H and you can return if you don't like it.

You have some options

I can say that I certainly have No Regrets buying this lens though It truly is a remarkable lens!

Sep 09, 2016 at 07:31 AM
jcolwell
• • • • • • •
p.1 #14 · p.1 #14 · zeiss 135, yes or no

edwardkaraa wrote:
It's been several years that I didn't shoot with a DSLR, but I find manual focusing very easy with longer lenses. My hit rate with anything longer than 85mm was close to 100%. The problem is rather with wides.

+1

If I can't use LiveView manual focus on a tripod, I sometimes use the hyperfocal distance approach, especially with wide and very-wide angle lenses. This often works OK, especially for mid-field photography (e.g. street), but it's certainly not optimum; especially with high-res digital cameras, where you can examine images in far greater detail than previously, and the actual location of the plane of critical focus becomes much easier to determine (both before and after the fact).

Harold Merklinger's "The Ins and Outs of Focus" is an excellent guidance document on focusing a camera. It combines observations and recommendations based on extensive personal experience, with rigorous theoretical development (i.e. the math). You can skip the math, if that's not your cup of tea.

"The Ins and Outs of Focus" http://www.trenholm.org/hmmerk/TIAOOFe.pdf

One of Harold's "Rules of Thumb" (pp. 36, 69) says:

"If we want anything at infinity to be recorded sharply, focus at infinity.

I don't always want to ensure crisp focus at infinity, but when I do, I focus at infinity.

Sep 09, 2016 at 08:03 AM
nampramos
• • •
p.1 #15 · p.1 #15 · zeiss 135, yes or no

I have never used the Zeiss 135 but if your worry is being MF, I don't think you need to think about that.

I have the Nikon 200/2 AIS (I guess you have the AF version) and shoot it handheld with good results.

Some quick examples, all at F2. Only the first one is on a FF body, all the others are on 1.5x crop body. FF makes it definitely easier to shoot this lens!

DSC04801.jpg by Nuno Ramos, on Flickr

DSC05567.jpg by Nuno Ramos, on Flickr

DSC05500-Edit.jpg by Nuno Ramos, on Flickr

DSC05325.jpg by Nuno Ramos, on Flickr

DSC05370-Edit.jpg by Nuno Ramos, on Flickr

The 200/2 is indeed a very special lens that you do not carry around everyday, simply because of size and weight. If the Zeiss 135 is a good replacement and worth the cash, I think only you can decide that. Will it be worth having both of them in the end?

If I were you, I would shoot them side by side and only then decide if you buy the 135, and if yes, will you keep the 200/2 as well?

Sep 09, 2016 at 08:38 AM
Peire
• • • • •
p.1 #16 · p.1 #16 · zeiss 135, yes or no

Zeiss 135/2 yes or no?Definitely BIG YES!

BTW:What a special,nordic woman nampramos.

Sep 09, 2016 at 12:05 PM
nampramos
• • •
p.1 #17 · p.1 #17 · zeiss 135, yes or no

Haha which one? There's 3.

Careful, one is my girlfriend

Sep 09, 2016 at 12:37 PM
mudlake
• • • •
p.1 #18 · p.1 #18 · zeiss 135, yes or no

One more vote for yes. Look for a good used copy of this lens for around $1,300-1,400. Same lens. Less to worry about since you can sell it for the same price you bought it.

Manual focus is a lot slower but fun in a good way. When I have this lens on my 6D I'm not taking action shots. What it does it does beautifully. Get a good used one and keep it the rest of your life.

https://c5.staticflickr.com/2/1530/26044625484_7073bc51b3_h.jpg

Sep 16, 2016 at 02:09 AM
freaklikeme
• • • • • •
p.1 #19 · p.1 #19 · zeiss 135, yes or no

Another yes, though I will say my keeper rate is much higher with it on an EVF than it was on an OVF.

It is my favorite small animal lens. A zoo turtle...

a7rII_Sonnar135_Dive by Bradley Clemens, on Flickr

My boys making the most of a blizzard...

a7rII_Sonnar135_Strike_Back by Bradley Clemens, on Flickr

I've also used it for headshots, full body portraits, live stage shows. It's also pretty stellar at pop-up comedy events where the lighting is never optimal...

_DSC2083-Edit by Bradley Clemens, on Flickr

The only thing I don't use it for is landscape. It's not a bad landscape lens, but I've got lenses around this focal length that hold their resolution over long distances better than the Sonnar.

Sep 16, 2016 at 05:15 PM
zhangyue
• • • • •
p.1 #20 · p.1 #20 · zeiss 135, yes or no

I don't use it much for landscape as well. it is not because it doesn't perform (It resolve 36M D810 at f2 at infinity in my copy, there is no corner weakness) but for its size.

For 55OTUS, I am willing to carry as it is more versatile lens, can be portrait lens, can be macro with extension, can be night star shooting at 1.4. but 135 is kind of limited use for lots of weight and bag space.

The lens has no flaw to me. good APO correction, perfect at any distance at f2.

https://c1.staticflickr.com/6/5779/22632435472_e9f05506b1_b.jpg
https://c1.staticflickr.com/1/681/21430755528_8a7ac2fdb7_b.jpg
https://c4.staticflickr.com/4/3826/19911498131_b09f9eafe3_b.jpg
https://c1.staticflickr.com/1/428/19354789088_3309ab3f62_b.jpg
https://c7.staticflickr.com/1/388/19536000462_2819999745_b.jpg

Sep 16, 2016 at 05:57 PM

FM Forums | Leica & Alternative Gear | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.