Home · Register · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username  

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | General Gear-talk | Join Upload & Sell

end

Archive 2016 · Gregory Tarhee 45 Ski/Mountain Backpack for Hiking//Photography Use - A ...

WildlifeBio

Upload & Sell: Off
p.2 #1 · p.2 #1 · Gregory Tarhee 45 Ski/Mountain Backpack for Hiking//Photography Use - A Review

I recently purchased the 2017 version of the Gregory Targhee 45 (size large for my 20” torso length) as well as the A-MoDe IN200 camera insert. Hopefully others here will find the following info useful.

The IN200 is a steal at $30. I have no experience with F-Stop’s ICUs, but the padding, materials, and construction of the IN200 all appear to be solid and functional. The exterior dimensions of the IN200 are 16.9”x11.8”x7.1”, which is extremely tight in the Targhee… but it does fit. The pack’s rounded panel window blocks access to the extreme corners of the rectangular insert, and the sides of the insert are deformed somewhat by the more cylindrical shape of the pack body. The shallower IN02x would likely fit the Targhee more easily for those who don’t need 7” of interior depth.

http://kerey.zenfolio.com/img/s12/v170/p2218931930-4.jpg

Gregory Targhee 45 (L), A-MoDe IN200 insert, D600, 200-500E, 18-35G, 105G, SB-700, and accessories.

That said, the deeper IN200 does allow for what is, to me, the holy grail: carry of my D600 and 200-500/5.6E with the hood in shooting position! I had to remove the tripod foot from the 200-500 to fit everything comfortably, but it could be left on if fast removal of the camera/lens isn’t a priority, or with a different divider configuration. My other lenses and accessories fit inside comfortably as well.

I’ve yet to take this setup into the field, but everything looks good so far. There’s still a fair amount of room above the insert for other gear, and the lengthy front pocket fits a 3L Platypus bladder. Most important of all, and unlike virtually other camera backpacks I’ve tried, the pack properly fits me. Based on the OP’s field report, I have high hopes this arrangement will work well this coming spring!

Edited on Feb 26, 2017 at 04:28 PM · View previous versions

Feb 24, 2017 at 12:16 AM
Shedugengan

p.2 #2 · p.2 #2 · Gregory Tarhee 45 Ski/Mountain Backpack for Hiking//Photography Use - A Review

That looks like a good insert to me. Tell me about space leftover for layers...

Feb 24, 2017 at 11:10 PM
WildlifeBio

p.2 #3 · p.2 #3 · Gregory Tarhee 45 Ski/Mountain Backpack for Hiking//Photography Use - A Review

With an insert this deep (front to back), there's very little room 'behind' the insert for any bulky items, but a windbreaker or something would probably fit. There is also a small space below the insert that might work as a spot for a first aid or repair kit. Most of the usable space is above the insert, in the top lid, and in the front pocket.

Above the insert, the top space is roughly 13" wide x 7" deep x 6" tall. Up to the top of the collar, though, measures almost 12". Almost all of my usual daypack gear (first aid kit, lunch, jacket, even rainpants) fits in this space while still allowing the top lid to snug down comfortably. Here's a quick image of the top space, with an 18-35G lens for scale:

http://kerey.zenfolio.com/img/s4/v66/p2218931928-3.jpg

View into top of Gregory Targhee 45 (L) above the A-MoDe IN200 insert, with a Nikon AF-S 18-35G lens for scale.

The pack's front pocket is a full 24" tall x 11" wide x (approx.) 3" deep, providing plenty of room for a 3L Platypus and other essentials. The top lid provides space for smaller items as well, though its capacity is obviously also limited by how the pack body is loaded.

I don't see myself using this pack/insert combo for overnight trips, mainly due to a lack of space for my overnight gear. The Targhee does have external strap points, but I generally prefer to keep things inside the pack body whenever possible. A smaller insert would be a different story, as indicated by the OP. In any case, I have other packs for that purpose (Gregory Baltoro, Arcteryx, Osprey, etc.). But as a dayhiking photo pack, I'm pretty impressed by the Targhee's overall capacity.

Feb 25, 2017 at 10:36 PM
Shedugengan

p.2 #4 · p.2 #4 · Gregory Tarhee 45 Ski/Mountain Backpack for Hiking//Photography Use - A Review

Thank you for that info and the image.

Feb 26, 2017 at 11:44 PM
marsh9077

p.2 #5 · p.2 #5 · Gregory Tarhee 45 Ski/Mountain Backpack for Hiking//Photography Use - A Review

WildlifeBio wrote:

I recently purchased the 2017 version of the Gregory Targhee 45 (size large for my 20” torso length) as well as the A-MoDe IN200 camera insert. Hopefully others here will find the following info useful.

The IN200 is a steal at $30. I have no experience with F-Stop’s ICUs, but the padding, materials, and construction of the IN200 all appear to be solid and functional. The exterior dimensions of the IN200 are 16.9”x11.8”x7.1”, which is extremely tight in the Targhee… but it does fit. The pack’s rounded panel window blocks access to the extreme corners of the rectangular insert, and
...Show more

How long is your 200-500 including the D600?

Mar 01, 2017 at 02:08 AM
WildlifeBio

p.2 #6 · p.2 #6 · Gregory Tarhee 45 Ski/Mountain Backpack for Hiking//Photography Use - A Review

How long is your 200-500 including the D600?

D600 + 200-500E is 16 3/4" long with the hood on.

Mar 01, 2017 at 09:59 PM
Patrick4x5
• •
p.2 #7 · p.2 #7 · Gregory Tarhee 45 Ski/Mountain Backpack for Hiking//Photography Use - A Review

Where did you get your hands on a 2017 Targhee? I have looked around and all I can see are closeouts for lasts years packs, and no medium packs in stock.

Apr 04, 2017 at 07:43 PM
Scrumhalf
• • •
p.2 #8 · p.2 #8 · Gregory Tarhee 45 Ski/Mountain Backpack for Hiking//Photography Use - A Review

Sorry for resurrecting this old thread, but has anyone flown internationally with this pack since Mitesh posted?

I am planning to fly out of LAX to India through Dubai (Emirates) and want to use this pack to take my photo gear, mainly my 500/4 II. I measured the frame of the pack and it is within a gnat's eyebrow of 22". I wonder if I can get away with it. If I place the 500/4 II in the center, there is enough room around it to accommodate my camera and other lenses, I think.

Jul 13, 2019 at 09:16 PM
GroovyGeek
• • • •
p.2 #9 · p.2 #9 · Gregory Tarhee 45 Ski/Mountain Backpack for Hiking//Photography Use - A Review

I have flown to Patagonia with the 42L Targhee and an F-stop medium ICU (very old model, circa 2010) without either United or Aerolineas Argentinas making a fuss. However, I did make it a point to have very little in the pack other than the camera, lenses, and batteries (D800E, 14-24, 80-400, 24-85, Wonderpana filters, half a dozen batteries). The frame is flexible enough that you can bend it and stuff into most carry-on sizers (except perhaps the euro ones), and most airlines will let you fly if the bag deforms.

Jul 15, 2019 at 02:12 AM
Scrumhalf
• • •
p.2 #10 · p.2 #10 · Gregory Tarhee 45 Ski/Mountain Backpack for Hiking//Photography Use - A Review

Sweet, thanks! I'll give it a go and hopefully, things will work out.

Jul 15, 2019 at 06:38 PM
       end

FM Forums | General Gear-talk | Join Upload & Sell

end

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.