New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

2       3       4       5       end

Archive 2016 · New Irix lens is out

Zenon Char
• • • • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · New Irix lens is out

http://www.dpreview.com/news/6961503564/th-swiss-releases-pricing-for-its-irix-15mm-f2-4-manual-focus-lenses

Sep 06, 2016 at 09:25 PM
Max_Pain
• • •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · New Irix lens is out

This looks like the perfect lens to convince me to get rid of my Rokinon 14mm f/2.8. Hmmm

Sep 06, 2016 at 11:39 PM
D.Hussey
• • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · New Irix lens is out

Nice to see additional alternatives to the optics establishment

Sep 07, 2016 at 12:26 AM
RobDickinson
• • • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · New Irix lens is out

I'm hopefully in the program to test these out

Sep 07, 2016 at 12:43 AM
Pixel Perfect
• • • • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · New Irix lens is out

Max_Pain wrote:
This looks like the perfect lens to convince me to get rid of my Rokinon 14mm f/2.8. Hmmm

That's what I said too. The sample look very good, minimal distortion, excellent edge and corner sharpness, coma looks like it mightn't be too bad, but will need to see larger samples. Lens look high quality, and you can use a screw on filter too, but might be too wide for a polarizer to be much use if there's blue sky in the scene.

Sep 07, 2016 at 01:59 AM
dgdg
• • • • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · New Irix lens is out

A little cheaper and faster than the Tamron 15-30mm f/2.8 zoom.
Perhaps it is smaller?
When the Tamron 15-30mm came around, I sold my Samyang. I don't think this lens will have me do something similar.

David

Sep 07, 2016 at 08:20 AM
Dpedraza
• • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · New Irix lens is out

dgdg wrote:
A little cheaper and faster than the Tamron 15-30mm f/2.8 zoom.
Perhaps it is smaller?
When the Tamron 15-30mm came around, I sold my Samyang. I don't think this lens will have me do something similar.

David

You also have the flexibility of a zoom though so I can see why you wouldn't want to give that up for a prime

Sep 07, 2016 at 08:36 AM
Max_Pain
• • •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · New Irix lens is out

dgdg wrote:

David, I've been looking at that Tamron and I won't lie, it looks great. I don't mind size and weight. Is it as good or better than the Rokinon for astro and the 16-35 f/4L IS for everything else? I wouldn't buy the Tamron in addition to those two, but the thought of selling those in favor of the Tamron has crossed my mind.

Sep 07, 2016 at 08:41 AM
dgdg
• • • • •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · New Irix lens is out

For astro, I found both lenses to be very good. I did not compare them for daytime use where Samyang 14mm field curvature bothers some. Obviously the Tamron has the advantage of being a zoom with IS. My first Tamron copy was well centered. Either I was lucky, or the quality control is better than the Samyang.
Now with the Fotodiox Fusion ND adapter (Canon EF to Sony E), there is an excellent portable ND option up to 8.5 stops. If you also happen to have a Sony A7R, that is. Otherwise you'd want the Fotodiox 145mm front filter system.
I don't have the Canon 16-35 f/4, chiefly because it is f/4. Otherwise, reviews are excellent. For me, I really only need and would use one wide angle.

Both are great, depends on features and if you can get a good copy.
Here are a couple Tamron shots from the A7R1.
The third, last, shot is from the Samyang 14mm cropped a little for blending (sky portion only).
David

http://davidsphotography.zenfolio.com/img/s3/v43/p1923336061-5.jpg

http://davidsphotography.zenfolio.com/img/s12/v172/p1404630115-5.jpg

http://davidsphotography.zenfolio.com/img/s7/v169/p1102015759-5.jpg

Sep 07, 2016 at 08:59 AM
Max_Pain
• • •
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · New Irix lens is out

Beautiful shots David. Thanks for the info. Got to look into this possibility.

Sep 07, 2016 at 09:09 AM
Zenon Char
• • • • • •
p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · New Irix lens is out

Wonder who the resellers will be?

Sep 07, 2016 at 10:21 AM
Dpedraza
• • •
p.1 #12 · p.1 #12 · New Irix lens is out

Zenon Char wrote:
Wonder who the resellers will be?

doesn't specify actual dealers. From http://www.irixlens.com/irix-ready-for-sale.php

TH Swiss Company is now developing distribution network all across the world. Anyone who would like to become a part of Irix family as a distributor of Irix lenses is asked to contact

A seller in poland says they have the firefly in limited quantities
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Irix-Lens-15mm-f-2-4-Firefly-for-Canon-/111537583048?_trksid=p2141725.m3641.l6368

Sep 07, 2016 at 10:44 AM
Max_Pain
• • •
p.1 #13 · p.1 #13 · New Irix lens is out

Which is so bizarre. Why haven't they established this before releasing the lens? Why isn't B&H, Amazon, etc carrying it?

Sep 07, 2016 at 10:47 AM
Zenon Char
• • • • • •
p.1 #14 · p.1 #14 · New Irix lens is out

Max_Pain wrote:
Which is so bizarre. Why haven't they established this before releasing the lens? Why isn't B&H, Amazon, etc carrying it?

Yes that is puzzling. I did check B&H and there is not mention. You would think they would list it as coming soon. A bit of a rocky start. New upstart I guess.

Sep 07, 2016 at 12:23 PM
herion
• • •
p.1 #15 · p.1 #15 · New Irix lens is out

Amazon is selling it in the UK, Italy and Germany. They have it for sale on ebay for US buyers.... but I agree - I think this should have been established while they were delaying the release...

Sep 07, 2016 at 06:34 PM
Pixel Perfect
• • • • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #16 · p.1 #16 · New Irix lens is out

herion wrote:
Amazon is selling it in the UK, Italy and Germany. They have it for sale on ebay for US buyers.... but I agree - I think this should have been established while they were delaying the release...

Maybe in the USA Irix realised every one will just buy iPhone 7 anyway.

Sep 07, 2016 at 07:13 PM
johan.lucas

p.1 #17 · p.1 #17 · New Irix lens is out

I just picked up a copy today at cameranu.nl (Netherlands). Sold my Samyang 14mm. Why? Distortion of Samyang is too much for me and the Samyang had huge flare issues. If I had a streetlight in my nightshots they where ruined. Make no mistake, this is a big lens, alot bigger then the Samyang. I got the Firefly and the build quality looks good focus is smooth. Aperture can be changed electronicly and the camera (6d) gives focus conformation. Big plusses compared to the Samyang. Distortion seems better, I did not got around to play with it alot unfortunately. Comes in a metal case with lens hood, front lens cap and two rear lens caps and a pouch, and it is in a can instead of a paper box, solid first impression.

Edited on Sep 10, 2016 at 04:17 PM · View previous versions

Sep 10, 2016 at 02:12 PM
Zenon Char
• • • • • •
p.1 #18 · p.1 #18 · New Irix lens is out

Hopefully we will see some of your images soon.

Sep 10, 2016 at 02:35 PM
johan.lucas

p.1 #19 · p.1 #19 · New Irix lens is out

Zenon Char wrote:
Hopefully we will see some of your images soon.

Will do

Sep 10, 2016 at 04:40 PM
RobDickinson
• • • •
p.1 #20 · p.1 #20 · New Irix lens is out

Keen to see, not sure when I'll be getting my copy thought they would be onto it by now!

Sep 10, 2016 at 05:13 PM

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.