Sports Corner Rules
Sports Corner Resource

FM Forums | Sports Corner | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2016 · Thanks for help on shooting football pics

c2103
• •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Thanks for help on shooting football pics

About a year ago I posted that I had been taking nature photos for about 20 years and had the opportunity to take some football game day photos at a local small college . I posted the photos and the responses were harsh , but I tried to follow the recommendations noted. The help was appreciated and hopefully I have gotten better.
Attached are some photos taken during the 2016 opening season games .

Sep 06, 2016 at 05:39 PM
gschlact
• • • •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Thanks for help on shooting football pics

They have good decent action (some better than others), sharpness, color; and it would appear you had plenty of reach,.

Try not to shoot backs of players, and try not to cut off limbs, especially at a joint.

Sep 06, 2016 at 11:09 PM
RandyR
• • • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Thanks for help on shooting football pics

If I can't see the eyes of the player with the ball it's probably not a keeper

Sep 07, 2016 at 03:48 AM
DaveSPictures

p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Thanks for help on shooting football pics

Depends if you are shooting for local newspaper, website, newswire service, etc. These are all decent with 1, 2, and 3 being better. Cut limbs appear to be cropped in just based on lack of sharpness compared to #5.

Sep 07, 2016 at 10:17 AM
jcnemy
• • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Thanks for help on shooting football pics

Thanks for posting and sharing!

A lot of good feedback has been provided and by all means, I'm a work in progress as well.

With that - being day games...these look a little soft or possibly heavy crops. I would be cranking SS speed as high as possible with manageable ISO.

Lastly - Randy's comment is spot on. Your audience may be different and request different shots - but I always struggle to include face/eyes and the ball. Sometimes I think I don't include potential sells because I delete those shots....shots that parents may have purchased.

Looking forward to seeing more!

JC

Sep 07, 2016 at 06:52 PM
c2103
• •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Thanks for help on shooting football pics

Thanks for all the replies and advice .
This is a hobby for me and thankfully I do not need to get paid . My photos are used by the various local small colleges and websites and one local monthly football publication . I enjoy football and photography and this allows me access to games with the opportunity to take photos .
I feel I am at that point where a 400 2.8 and 1dx would be a logical next step , but that combination does not fit my primary interest of nature photography.
Again I appreciate the comments from the high end sports shooters on this site . I has allowed me to quickly get up to speed on the sports shooting methods .
While the technical aspects of sports and nature photography share a lot of common techniques , it takes actual responses from experienced shooters to learn the details .

Sep 07, 2016 at 08:51 PM
P Alesse
• • • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · Thanks for help on shooting football pics

c2103 wrote:
This is a hobby for me and thankfully I do not need to get paid . My photos are used by the various local small colleges and websites and one local monthly football publication . I enjoy football and photography and this allows me access to games with the opportunity to take photos .
I feel I am at that point where a 400 2.8 and 1dx would be a logical next step , but that combination does not fit my primary interest of nature photography.
Again I appreciate the comments from
...Show more

Be careful here. As well as getting feedback on your images, which is great, listen to the advice you'll hear on working for free or working in exchange for access. That's a sore spot here in these forums because the beginners/amateurs that are working for free are taking work away from the pros that need to make a living. My stance has always been that I can't control who decides to work for free or "for access", but I can control who I choose to give advice to about their images. Essentially, you can't have your cake and eat it too... ask for critique on your photos and then take their job away by working for free. Right now, you might not thing it's a big deal, but in the grand scheme of changing technology and the photo industry... IT IS.

Sep 08, 2016 at 06:39 AM
John Patrick
• • • •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · Thanks for help on shooting football pics

I second what Paul said. Shooting for free, while you may be retired and just looking for a hobby, is not helpful at all to the photographers who need to charge to eat and live in something larger than a cardboard box.

If local small colleges and a local monthly football publication uses them as they have value, then you should value them as well.

Can you get in to watch the games for free? Is the publication free with no advertisements? They know that _THEIR_ITEMS_ have value, so they charge accordingly. They're playing you.

Charge. If they walk, well, then they didn't value you at all. But please don't use the "big white lens ticket" to watch a game.

John

Sep 08, 2016 at 08:23 PM
CW100
• • • • •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · Thanks for help on shooting football pics

c2103 wrote:
Again I appreciate the comments from
...Show more

I agree with others about increasing your shutter speed and focusing on faces and cutting off limbs
I somewhat disagree with others about "taking their work away" and "hobbyists shooting for free" --- that horse left the barn years ago

Sep 09, 2016 at 10:04 AM
c2103
• •
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · Thanks for help on shooting football pics

Shooting For Free is an interesting topic and could have a forum .
I thought the replies concerning this issue were thoughtful and I will reply and if I get banned from the forum so be it .
As a young nature photographer 30 years ago I thought I could go pro - however the best nature photographers had the market covered and any spillover work was taken by doctors, lawyers and rich business men who had the best equipment and traveled the world and gave their work away . I could not compete on either level and the best advice I ever got from a pro nature photographer I knew was not to quit my day job.
The issue today is systemic and is due to the world of digital photos. It has completely changed the business model for all photographers as now everyone takes good photos .
Unfortunately in a free market world that means supply far far exceeds demand .

If as was suggested I "charge" for my work , they will move on to the next 50 people in line who will do it for free . Therefore the issue can not be changed just by having me no longer shoot for free , but everyone who shoots of for free would have to stop .
If you think I should not shoot for free due to the principal of the matter then that is flawed logic as the only person to loose out would be me .
Hope the market you once envisioned returns , but I think it will only get worse due to the proliferation of high end digital phones in the future .

Sep 09, 2016 at 07:11 PM

FM Forums | Sports Corner | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.