New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Trip Location Advice & Meet-ups | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2016 · Boston area early October

Etherton
• • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Boston area early October

Any advice for the Boston area in early October? Where to stay? We are doing a airbnb. Getting around Boston itself will most likely be like any big city so any advice on parking would be helpful.

Really interested in the historical sites, lobster, whale watching (saw a tour - if possible?), the coast area, lobster, would love some Boston skyline shots - day and night. Oh, and lobster if I had not mentioned it.

I want to avoid the tourist traps (don't we all) so any advice will be great!

Thanks everyone!

Sep 05, 2016 at 06:51 PM
djb663
[X]
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Boston area early October

As far as whale watching goes, groupon has several whale watches out of Gloucester. I went on the Cape Ann Whale Watch this summer and it was quite good. It's getting chilly though so be sure to bring very warm clothes for the watch. If you don't want to go to Gloucester (about 50 miles), the New England Aquarium offers a whale watch/aquarium combo ticket in case you're interested in the Aquarium as well.

The freedom trail will allow you to get quite a bit of history. I would recommend going to the North End if you like Italian. Mike's is the place to go for pastry.

Do you plan on staying in Boston proper, or in the general vicinity? If you park on the MIT side of the Charles River, you can get great Boston skyline views. If you go to Deer Island, you can get the sun setting over a different part of the Boston skyline.

Good luck!

Oh, and as far as lobster, or any seafood for that matter, you may really want to consider making the trek to the "Causeway" in Gloucester. It is a hole in the wall, but the food, portions, and prices are outstanding.

Sep 30, 2016 at 11:13 AM
Etherton
• • • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Boston area early October

Thanks!

The first couple nights we're staying right in Boston near one of the colleges for my wife's conference. Then we'll be staying near Holbrook Road Quincy, MA at an AirBnB my wife found.

Sep 30, 2016 at 12:16 PM
Schlotkins
• • • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Boston area early October

You can get a pretty good view of the skyline from Fan Pier Park.

Places to eat:

Bread bowl clam chowder: Atlantic Fish (Back Bay)
Pastry: Mike's mentioned (my favorite) but you should also try Modern
Lobster Roll: Neptune Oyster (North End)
Italian: North end (pretty much everywhere is good)

Sep 30, 2016 at 01:02 PM

FM Forums | Trip Location Advice & Meet-ups | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.