New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Forum & Miscellaneous | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2016 · Photo Hosting Options

CGrindahl
• • • • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Photo Hosting Options

Google's excellent Picasa software has been abandoned and Google Photos will not permit display of images linked to their website. I created a Flickr account which seemed to be a reasonable alternative UNTIL the recent Mac OSX security upgrade ditched my saved passwords. I was able to find an two month old link to my Flickr account but when I tried to upload photos they were directed to a very OLD Flickr account I hadn't used in ten years. Communicating with Yahoo is impossible and the information they provide through FAQs and community forums are next to useless. Hence, I'm once again hunting for a reliable host for my photos. Yes, I do have an Upload and Sell subscription for FM but I'm not interested in have all my photos hosted here. I often link to photos on threads, but those will be one among many I may have in an online album hosted elsewhere. I'm happy to give Fred the money simply to support this wonderful website so no problem there.

What sites are folks using and what do you see as the advantages and disadvantages of using them? Primary concern for me is that the host will easily permit linking to FM with photos on display, not simply links inserted in threads. I'm beginning to believe it may make sense to pay for this service, believing it might yield more assurance of continuity. I know there are a whole slew of hosts out there, but whether they'll be alive in three years is an open question.

Any thoughts... suggestions? Thanks.

Sep 05, 2016 at 04:54 PM
trenchmonkey
• • • • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Photo Hosting Options

Howdy, Curtis. I've been pretty happy with Photobucket for the last 10 yrs or so.
When I want to post more than (Fred's) 5, that's what I'll use. It's free but they
offer add'l storage and NO ads for ~$30/yr.

Sep 06, 2016 at 06:58 AM
ckcarr
• • • • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Photo Hosting Options

I primarily host my photos at Smugmug (see little icon link below my user name). Lots of different cost options there depending on what features you need. If I post a shot here I download it from Smugmug and then upload it back here.

Sep 06, 2016 at 07:35 AM
CGrindahl
• • • • • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Photo Hosting Options

Thanks Will. I've been aware of Photobucket but have no looked seriously at them. I'll check it out. At the moment I'm doing a trial with Zenfolio and I have checked out Smugmug. If Photobucket hasn't kicked the bucket in ten years it might be here for the long haul.

Sep 06, 2016 at 10:10 PM
CGrindahl
• • • • • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Photo Hosting Options

Oops! It turns out I already have a Photobucket account. Let's see if I can post an image...

http://i1055.photobucket.com/albums/s510/cgrindahl/Photobucket%20Desktop%20-%20Curtiss%20iMac/2012%20San%20Anselmo%20Summer/180YellowAbundance_zpsad849674.jpg

Taken with the 180 f/2.8 AI-s.

It works... time to explore. Thanks again Will.

Sep 06, 2016 at 10:18 PM
trenchmonkey
• • • • • • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Photo Hosting Options

Sep 07, 2016 at 08:10 AM
Gas Hog

p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · Photo Hosting Options

I am finally able to join this site with my gmail account. It has always balked before.
So every year or so I try again.
So first post here, and in a timely thread for me. I dumped Smugmuug after quite a stay. Did a Zenfolio trial..mehh
Signed up for a Flicker and found all of the problems that Curtis had and more..tech support :-(
Dont mind paying of course, but I thought I had read that Photobucket had language that they could use your photo when ever. Maybe it was one of the 100 other sites I have read about lately, not sure.

But if Will has been with them for that long then I will take another look. If anybody has images worth stealing its Will.
Gary

Sep 07, 2016 at 09:08 AM
trenchmonkey
• • • • • • •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · Photo Hosting Options

But if Will has been with them for that long then I will take another look. If anybody has images worth stealing its Will. Gary

Thanks, Gary...welcome aboard!

Sep 07, 2016 at 09:26 AM
CGrindahl
• • • • • •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · Photo Hosting Options

With a bit of work I was able to solve my computer problems and once again Flickr is available to me. Xenfolio was workable but it seems unwilling to allow me to post images in the size I've uploaded them, which I find quite frustrating. I found PhotoBucket workable, but the presentation of photos and albums is pretty uninspiring. Picasa offered a bit more style in presentation of albums, though it too was pretty basic. Flickr presents photos as they are uploaded in a rather handsome format, but it really is the presentation of albums that shines. Uploading images is not as easy as Picasa, but I've found a way to make it work. Linking photos to FM is a breeze, which is a significant plus. I think since it does so many things well, I'll simply keep using it.

Thanks everyone for your comments. No doubt, finding an inexpensive AND dependable way of hosting photos is important. Of course, we each have our own needs, so it is good there are options available. Happy shooting everyone.

Sep 10, 2016 at 08:13 PM

FM Forums | Forum & Miscellaneous | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.