New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | General Gear-talk | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2016 · Using 3D printers to print gadgets

Oscarsmadness
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Using 3D printers to print gadgets

Anybody try to use a 3D printer to print useful things to add to the gear collection?

I'm considering printing lens caps, hoods, brackets, snoots, grids, and clips maybe, and such. Itty bitty useful knick knacks. I have a case of mini-GAS right now but all these little trinkets are gonna add up if I hit up B&H or whoever.

Sep 04, 2016 at 08:46 PM
freetime101
• • •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Using 3D printers to print gadgets

From my brief look into 3d printing, you get different grades of plastic - some of which can be quite brittle. Good idea though for non critical/stressed parts

Sep 05, 2016 at 02:54 AM
Macrogirl

p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Using 3D printers to print gadgets

This is my special area! I 3D print stuff for photography all the time - there are many useful pre-made files on thingiverse, or you can make your own. For strength use ABS, for easy, non load bearing parts use PLA. I have printed a few flash diffusers, background holders, little jack tables to raise or lower a subject, and there are many other things to print out there.

Sep 05, 2016 at 05:47 AM
dmcphoto
• • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Using 3D printers to print gadgets

I have never printed any camera accessories but I consult at a place that uses 3D printing extensively for product development. Unless you have a very expensive printer the printed part tolerances are quite large, so mating parts don't quite fit together. Simple parts can often be hand finished to fit together but it's a tedious process. Also, even if you print with a strong material like ABS plastic, the printed parts are usually not as strong as they would be if they were molded parts. Many printers produce parts that have air spaces "woven" all through them. That makes the parts more flexible and not as strong as a molded part would be. Water or air will actually flow through a "solid" plastic wall produced by many printers, even some high end ones. Good choices for printing would be any part that can have large tolerances and does not need high mechanical strength. All of these factors depend on the specific printer you use. Printers that can make strong parts with tight tolerances cost tens to hundreds of thousands of dollars.

Sep 05, 2016 at 05:58 AM
dgdg
• • • • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Using 3D printers to print gadgets

I needed an adapter to fit my polar scope onto my astrotrac. It had to be magnetized stainless steel. Emachineshop's free cad software made design easy. The part works well and has very tight custom tolerances.

Sep 05, 2016 at 06:36 AM
Oscarsmadness
• • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Using 3D printers to print gadgets

thingiverse is great. there's a ton of stuff up there. I need to learn to design my own sutff though.

Good to know about the different printing methods... now I got to figure out what the local printers use.

Sep 07, 2016 at 07:53 PM
chez
• • • • • • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · Using 3D printers to print gadgets

Oscarsmadness wrote:
Anybody try to use a 3D printer to print useful things to add to the gear collection?

I'm considering printing lens caps, hoods, brackets, snoots, grids, and clips maybe, and such. Itty bitty useful knick knacks. I have a case of mini-GAS right now but all these little trinkets are gonna add up if I hit up B&H or whoever.

Unless you already have a printer, the cost of the printer will far out weigh the cost of your trinkets.

Sep 08, 2016 at 08:08 AM
Oscarsmadness
• • •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · Using 3D printers to print gadgets

Theres a shop nearby that lets me print trinkets for free

Sep 08, 2016 at 10:13 AM
Macrogirl

p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · Using 3D printers to print gadgets

I have to disagree with you. You can get very good tolerances on many consumer level FDM machines, making parts that fit together and slot into each other. I use an Ultimaker Original + (self built from a kit) to make two-part moulds for silicone, and they work perfectly. Once you have a printer, you can work out the tolerances of your particular machine quite easily and adapt the parts before printing. If you order from someone they should do this for you. As for strength - ABS is very strong, and you can print with 100% infill (solid object) for those parts that are under pressure. Using acetone vapor to finish the part (be careful no to melt it) means the outside surface has a lovely shiny look and adds even more strength.

Yes, the 100000$ printers are amazing - no question - but the currently available consumer-level alternatives are completely fine for photography accessories.

Sep 10, 2016 at 04:39 PM

FM Forums | General Gear-talk | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.