New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2016 · Cannot capture on 80D using any software

bootster
• •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Cannot capture on 80D using any software

I have a Canon 80D and cannot, for the life of me, figure out how to capture images using Lightroom, Phase One Capture One, or find a version of Canon Capture Utility that works with the 80D. I have the latest Capture One and Lightroom. I want to capture tethered, not interested in the wireless tech right now. I can't find Canon Capture anywhere past ver. 1.5, and it does not support the 80D. I am frustrated. If someone knows where to get the Canon Capture that supports the 80D, please let me know. Thanks.

EDIT: I finally have Capture One working but can't find a link to the latest Canon Capture Software.

Sep 04, 2016 at 01:24 PM
Sharlin

p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Cannot capture on 80D using any software

Download the EOS Utility. It works fine. Lightroom CC also works.

Sep 04, 2016 at 01:52 PM
bootster
• •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Cannot capture on 80D using any software

I am actually now looking to find the shutter actuation on a Canon camera relatively easily. I have done it before, but I can't seem to find it in the Canon eos utility. I can't seem to find an easy way to do this. I used to use magic lantern but I am looking at a 6D to purchase and want to take my Surface Pro 4 with me, plug in the USB cord and find the actuation count. I've been having a heck of a time.

Sep 04, 2016 at 02:24 PM
jrhoffman75
• • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Cannot capture on 80D using any software

No Canon software will give you the shutter count. You could get ShutterCount from www.direstudio.com

Sep 04, 2016 at 03:23 PM
garyvot
• • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Cannot capture on 80D using any software

jrhoffman75 wrote:
No Canon software will give you the shutter count. You could get ShutterCount from www.direstudio.com

That looks like it won't help him. From the ShutterCount Tecnical Specs:

Canon has removed the shutter count functionality from the remote control interface in cameras released since 2015. So the following cameras do not provide shutter count information.

Canon EOS-1D X Mark II
Canon EOS 5DS
Canon EOS 5DS R
Canon EOS 80D
Canon EOS 750D / Rebel T6i / Kiss X8i
Canon EOS 760D / Rebel T6s / 8000D

Sep 04, 2016 at 03:29 PM
bootster
• •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Cannot capture on 80D using any software

Thanks guys. I actually spent hours on this task, and found that it isn't easy to find a trustworthy tool for checking shutter actuation count tool. I was using magic lantern, but it isn't available for my 80D, and I know that I can't run the firmware on someone else's camera to check shutter count, so that won't be an option. He is really stressing how low the shutter count is here, so it's a little bit suspect to me.

I found a 6D on craigslist that was assumably used for a honeymoon and then retired. The guy says it has 1,701 shutter actuations on it. I think I blew through 850 pics one afternoon in the front yard taking macros of flowers and insects. I wanted to bring my laptop with an easy way to double check this "count". It seems very, very low to me. The fact that a battery grip comes with it is another "head scratcher".

Would I be out of line breaking out my laptop, attaching it to his camera, and checking the shutter count after he had already impressed upon me that it has a very low shutter count? I don't want to go to far of topic here, as I know this isn't a typical thing to discuss on the forum, I am just curious is all. I found a program called eosinfo to check it. I checked my T3i and it was 44,000 or so and that seems to be accurate by my estimation. It showed about 32,000 on my wife's 70D, and the serial numbers checked out on both camera's correctly. My 80D didn't show up on the software, as expected.

Sep 04, 2016 at 04:13 PM
garyvot
• • • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · Cannot capture on 80D using any software

bootster wrote:
Would I be out of line breaking out my laptop, attaching it to his camera, and checking the shutter count after he had already impressed upon me that it has a very low shutter count?

I certainly don't think so. I would inform him of your intent beforehand, something like, "Hey, do you mind if I take a few pictures and look at them on my laptop when we meet up? I'll plug the camera into my computer and verify the shutter count too."

If he balks at a reasonable request like this, then perhaps there is something sketchy after all.

Sep 04, 2016 at 04:40 PM
bootster
• •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · Cannot capture on 80D using any software

I was thinking of installing magic lantern on a card and putting it in the camera and quickly installing it and checking the count, and then removing it. I know that magic lantern is safe and won't damage or "brick" his camera. The best thing though, is what you have suggested and just hooking it up to the Surface Pro and quickly checking the focus of the pictures I just took. It would only take a second to run the shutter count software. I'm not going to lie to the guy, I'll just be discreet about what I'm doing.

I'm going to hook the camera up to the Surface Pro anyway because that gorgeous screen will show me exactly what the camera will do.

Thanks for the reply.

Sep 04, 2016 at 05:14 PM
Gochugogi
• • • • • •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · Cannot capture on 80D using any software

The latest EOS Utility works fine with my 80D for tethered shooting. Just used it for a video shoot and it's a lot less laggy than using the Camera Connect iOS app (wireless).

Sep 04, 2016 at 10:39 PM
jrhoffman75
• • •
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · Cannot capture on 80D using any software

garyvot wrote:
That looks like it won't help him. From the ShutterCount Tecnical Specs:

He stated he was looking to check shutter count on a 6 D he was looking to purchase.

Sep 05, 2016 at 06:12 AM
bootster
• •
p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · Cannot capture on 80D using any software

Great info guys, as usual. The camera checks out and I have come to find out it was a wedding present, used to bring on a honeymoon, and then the couple lost interest. The shutter count is what he says it is.

This scenario is a used purchasers dream, although it only has a 40mm STM lens with it and not the 24-105mm "kit" lens, except for the lack of warranty. I am looking at picking it up at the price I can get it for, and sell it down the road if I want more out of a full frame. The upside is that it won't leave me so excited about it that I will lose interest in the 80D, as I suspect a 5D Mk IV would do. I am going to have a 6D and a 5D Mk III to compare side by side this week and then I can rest easy not jonesing for a full frame camera body to accompany my crop sensor.

Sep 05, 2016 at 11:11 AM
garyvot
• • • •
p.1 #12 · p.1 #12 · Cannot capture on 80D using any software

jrhoffman75 wrote:
He stated he was looking to check shutter count on a 6 D he was looking to purchase.

Right. I misread it, thanks.

Sep 06, 2016 at 05:08 AM

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.