New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Nikon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2016 · D500 slow image preview.

bbourizk
• • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · D500 slow image preview.

Gday all.
Was wondering about other users experience with slow image preview on the D500.

Been on a week long trip and using the 500 daily and notice that after taking a shot quite often the image takes a while to come up on the screen. 4-5 seconds. This occurs after a single exposure and no bursts.

Currently I'm using the latest Sony G series 128gb xqd card as well as a Sandisk 128gb extreme pro sdxc card.

I updated to the latest firmware and the issue still persists. I don't recall having a similar issue on my d810 or d800e.

Just a little annoying when I need to review a photo quickly to check exposure etc.

Sep 04, 2016 at 09:15 AM
Dudewithoutape
• • •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · D500 slow image preview.

Did you format the cards in-camera?

Sep 04, 2016 at 09:24 AM
sjms
• • • • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · D500 slow image preview.

trouble shoot:
- shoot raw on both at the same time
- review with both in place
- remove SD card and review and then replace
- remove XQD card and review

see effects with either card in place

-do the same thing over this time shoot raw in XQD jpg in SD and repeat above

-do the same thing over this time shoot jpg in XQD raw in SD and repeat above

Sep 04, 2016 at 09:47 AM
binary visions
• • • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · D500 slow image preview.

Definitely try formatting & changing cards, first.

Had this problem with my girlfriend's D7000 (single shot, writing one RAW image to one card), and it was a bad memory card.

Sep 04, 2016 at 10:39 AM
bbourizk
• • • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · D500 slow image preview.

Thanks...will try these when I get back home.

Sep 05, 2016 at 12:19 AM
bbourizk
• • • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · D500 slow image preview.

Just did a little test while about and about.

Took each card out and left the other. Problem didn't occur trying about 20 frames on each.

Both cards in problem comes back. Seems to do it every 10 frames or so.

Sep 05, 2016 at 03:31 AM
sjms
• • • • • • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · D500 slow image preview.

all I can say at this point is that the combination of a very high speed card and relatively large low speed card (by todays standards) is causing an access issue.

I have a 2933x XQD card and a 2000X UHS-II in the SD slot and I can spin through it without issue.

using the same setup except in the SD slot I used a 64GB extreme pro. the only difference was it took relatively forever (now with the D500) to clear the buffer
I don't own any 128GB cards so I can't see if there is a difference there. if you have a smaller extreme pro like a 64GB try that now.

Sep 05, 2016 at 07:52 AM
bbourizk
• • • •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · D500 slow image preview.

sjms wrote:
all I can say at this point is that the combination of a very high speed card and relatively large low speed card (by todays standards) is causing an access issue.

I have a 2933x XQD card and a 2000X UHS-II in the SD slot and I can spin through it without issue.

using the same setup except in the SD slot I used a 64GB extreme pro. the only difference was it took relatively forever (now with the D500) to clear the buffer
I don't own any 128GB cards so I can't see if there is a difference there. if you have
...Show more
Thanks mate.
I have some 32 and 64 extreme pros I can try.
Mind me asking what 2000X UHII card you are using.

Thanks

Sep 05, 2016 at 08:34 AM
sjms
• • • • • • •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · D500 slow image preview.

Lexar

Sep 05, 2016 at 09:01 AM
hmzimelka
• • •
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · D500 slow image preview.

Just a completely off the track idea....

The fix on my D810 for a similar problem was to set the camera's sleep/standby timer to 30 minutes. Custom menu C2 on the D810, should be around there too with the D500. By default it was 4 seconds, which made the camera sleep, and nine out of 10 times when I wanted to access a menu or look at my shots, I would get the hourglass symbol and a 3 second wait before something came up.

Sep 05, 2016 at 11:53 AM
mp0363
• •
p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · D500 slow image preview.

that does sound like a long delay, although the only nikon i've ever used that didn't have image delay was the dual QXD d5.

it's actually so annoying that i quit using the recommended strategy of raw to card 1 and jpeg to card 2. i look forward to checking out that standby timer though. thanks for the tip!

Sep 05, 2016 at 05:23 PM
bbourizk
• • • •
p.1 #12 · p.1 #12 · D500 slow image preview.

hmzimelka wrote:
Just a completely off the track idea....

The fix on my D810 for a similar problem was to set the camera's sleep/standby timer to 30 minutes. Custom menu C2 on the D810, should be around there too with the D500. By default it was 4 seconds, which made the camera sleep, and nine out of 10 times when I wanted to access a menu or look at my shots, I would get the hourglass symbol and a 3 second wait before something came up.

Thank you.
Your correct about accessing the menu. Just tried it and after turning the camera on and leaving it for a bit and then trying to access the menu there was a slight delay.

After adjusting the standby timer it's instant now. Took a couple of frames and the image displayed straight away.

So I put the timer back at 6seconds as was the default. Left the camera sit for a minute and took a photo and the hourglass came up for a few seconds before the image showed.

Putting the timer back to 30 minutes and leaving the camera for a while and taking a photo the image showed straight away with no sign of the hourglass.

This seems to have fixed it. Obviously with a bit more use I'll know for sure.

Thanks for the great tip.

Sep 05, 2016 at 06:26 PM
JHerr
• • •
p.1 #13 · p.1 #13 · D500 slow image preview.

I had this problem with almost every Nikon Camera, and making sure it didn't go to sleep right away always fixed it.

Sep 05, 2016 at 07:43 PM
sjms
• • • • • • •
p.1 #14 · p.1 #14 · D500 slow image preview.

happy the easy option is working for you

Sep 06, 2016 at 07:08 AM
bbourizk
• • • •
p.1 #15 · p.1 #15 · D500 slow image preview.

sjms wrote:
happy the easy option is working for you

Hopefully that's all it was. I just done a reformat of the cards in the camera and both worked fine while downloading the pics off them. tried both cards, each with same amount of images as I use the SD as backup.

Sep 06, 2016 at 07:59 AM

FM Forums | Nikon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.