Home · Register · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username  

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Pro Digital Corner | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2016 · Camranger Alternative for i-Pad???

Maineguy
• • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Camranger Alternative for i-Pad???

I need some advice. I want an alternative to the Camranger to control my Canon 7D/6D wirelessly. I've been watching videos on YouTube that shows a $30.00 alternative to the $299.00 Camranger using the MR3040 router and DSLR Controller. From what I can tell, his alternative system is NOT compatible with an i-Pad. Does anyone know of a wireless alternative to the Camranger that is compatible with an i-Pad?

Sep 04, 2016 at 07:46 AM
fgphoto
• • •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Camranger Alternative for i-Pad???

Other than a higher price, is there a reason you don't like the Camranger? Having used it numerous times to capture and review remote images, it works great! I don't know how I survived without it!

Sep 04, 2016 at 12:00 PM
dmacmillan
• • • • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Camranger Alternative for i-Pad???

Consider your needs. I'm no longer a pro, but I was interested in the technology for personal use.

I thought $300 for the CamRanger was more than I wanted to spend. I investigated getting the $35 wireless modem and the software you find mentioned on YouTube. At the time (I don't know if it is still true), I would have had to jailbreak my phone.

I decided to try the WeyeFeye Wireless Camera Remote. I paid $150, but they've lowered the price to $99.

I use it with my 5D2 and a iPad mini. It works as advertised. The viewing software is simple but full featured. You can control all aspects of the camera, including touch focusing. The feature set seems to be the same as the CamRanger, except for client viewing. It has good range, I've tested at over 50 feet with no problem. It does suffer from the occasional loss of connectivity, but reviews of the CamRanger indicate it has the same problem.

I think CamRanger has more potential possibilities with additional hardware (pan heads, etc.) I would keep that in mind if your usage requires it. From what I've read, CamRanger has better intervalometer control and may be better suited for astrophotography. However, if all you need is basic wireless control, the WeyeFeye is up to the task at 1/3 the price of CamRanger.

Sep 06, 2016 at 09:10 AM
Maineguy
• • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Camranger Alternative for i-Pad???

I want to thank everyone for all your comments and suggestions.

Sep 06, 2016 at 10:24 AM
IronFilm

Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Camranger Alternative for i-Pad???

I recommend TP-LINK TL-MR3040 plus cheap tablet.

http://www.dslrfilmnoob.com/2013/12/13/camranger-tp-link-tl-mr304/

Sep 19, 2016 at 06:07 AM
Ttown Aubie
• •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Camranger Alternative for i-Pad???

TP-Link MR3040 with the appropriate firmware combined with the qDSLRdashboard app works just fine with my Iphone 6Plus.

Oct 27, 2016 at 11:04 AM
Michael White
• • • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · Camranger Alternative for i-Pad???

I like my camranger, pan head combo

Oct 27, 2016 at 12:46 PM
jrhoffman75
• • •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · Camranger Alternative for i-Pad???

https://alpinelaboratories.com/products/pulse-camera-remote

New product just released.

Nov 02, 2016 at 09:31 PM
dmacmillan
• • • • •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · Camranger Alternative for i-Pad???

jrhoffman75 wrote:
https://alpinelaboratories.com/products/pulse-camera-remote

New product just released.

I went out and looked at the Pulse. One thing that struck me is that in the demo, there's no real time image displayed like there is with Cam Ranger and other triggers. With my Weye Feye, I can actually change the focus point from my device. I can also review and adjust other camera settings real time. On the Pulse, it's iterative: make and exposure, then look at the image and histogram, adjust, then make another exposure. That's cumbersome.

I'd be interested if it offered more flexibility with HDR exposures.

My initial impression is that it looks OK and could meet certain needs. It's a third of the price of the Cam Ranger, but I think the Cam Ranger provides at least three times the usability.

Nov 03, 2016 at 01:14 PM
Maineguy
• • •
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · Camranger Alternative for i-Pad???

Thanks for all the information and demoing the Pulse. I just bought a Camranger from an FM'er and think that I made the right decision.

Nov 03, 2016 at 04:27 PM

FM Forums | Pro Digital Corner | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.