New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | General Gear-talk | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2016 · Monopod

bobmcg
• •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Monopod

I'd like a recommendation for a good monopod set up for a Nikon D500 and 500mm VRII. I own and am an enthusiast of RRS but I'd like a cheaper alternative for a monopod setup. That, or convince me why the extra money for RRS is worth it for a monopod. Will use it for sports and wildlife.

Thanks in advance.

Sep 04, 2016 at 07:16 AM
sjms
• • • • • • •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Monopod

I consider a MP more of a semi consumable. for me when in use they take a real beating. there are a bunch of reasonable MPs around.
I have the original version of this model for 4 years now:
https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/1158022-REG/induro_gim304l_3_grand_stealth.html

the only real advantage to the RRS is the system approach to external connectors/clamps that interface with them. they are of course the leg section off of their tripods which are outstanding and I have a few of for varied use. in the end I treat a MP with a little less dignity so I have to find something a less costly and reasonably close in quality.

Edited on Sep 04, 2016 at 08:25 AM · View previous versions

Sep 04, 2016 at 07:27 AM
jcolwell
• • • • • • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Monopod

I use both Feisol CM-1471 Rapid and Manfrotto Neo-Tec 685B monopods with my 500/4L IS, depending on circumstances. The Feisol is small and light, with more-or-less standard twist-grip locks. The Manfrotto is large and heavy, but its one-handed height control gizmo is excellent, especially when using a big lens in tight quarters. Both are significantly less expensive than RRS momopods.

Sep 04, 2016 at 07:56 AM
bobmcg
• •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Monopod

Thanks. Jim, the Feisol looks solid. Do you use a tilt-head? I'm thinking this leg with the RRS MH-01?

Sep 04, 2016 at 10:46 AM
jcolwell
• • • • • • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Monopod

bobmcg wrote:
I'm thinking this leg with the RRS MH-01?

That's exactly what I do.

Sep 04, 2016 at 10:57 AM
Abbott Schindl
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Monopod

In addition to the load you plan to support, think about the circumstances you'll be using the mp. I started with an adequate Manfrotto 680B (now the 685 I think) and found it too short for where I was using it. I often take my mp on hikes and find it helpful if the unit can extend enough to support the camera if, for example, I'm standing on a rock and the monopod needs to set on the ground below. Or if I'm on a riverbank and need the mp to be a foot or so in the water. Now I've got a Gitzo 3550 and it's perfect for what I do. I'm using a Kirk MPA-2 head and would recommend either it or the RRS head mentioned earlier.

Sep 04, 2016 at 11:22 AM
jcolwell
• • • • • • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · Monopod

bobmcg wrote:
I'm thinking this leg with the RRS MH-01?

jcolwell wrote:

I have an A-S clamp at the top of each monopod. That lets me use a monopod "straight up", or I can attach the MH-01 to it, which is what I usually do. I have a lever clamp on the MH-01 so that I can quickly drop the whole support gizmo, in case I want to transition from monopod to handheld, while following the action. I often do this when shooting BIF.

© jcolwell 2016

RRS MH-01 next to Feisol

© jcolwell 2016

RRS MH-01 on Feisol

© jcolwell 2016

RRS MH-01 on Neo-Tec, next to Feisol

Sep 04, 2016 at 11:31 AM
sjms
• • • • • • •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · Monopod

As do i

jcolwell wrote:

Sep 04, 2016 at 12:02 PM
bobmcg
• •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · Monopod

Thanks guys. Much appreciated.

Sep 04, 2016 at 03:09 PM

FM Forums | General Gear-talk | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.