FM Forums | Trip Location Advice & Meet-ups | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2016 · Sierra fall color?

Fred Amico
• • • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Sierra fall color?

Just found this web site, and thought it might be useful for others:

http://www.californiafallcolor.com/

Now a question. Besides this, and G. Dan's updates here, are there any other links I should know about to plan a Sierra trip at the right time for good color? Thanks for any info.

Sep 03, 2016 at 01:14 PM
GroovyGeek
• • • •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Sierra fall color?

I think this is the same info minus the fluff

https://www.google.com/maps/d/u/0/viewer?hl=en_US&mid=12FSQxbVe9CedswOvJaWaeI5vvYU

Sep 03, 2016 at 01:57 PM
gdanmitchell
• • • • • • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Sierra fall color?

It is a bit early for the real reports to begin — I suspect that folks will start posting a bit more in a couple weeks, even though the peak color should be about a month from now and the two or three weeks after that.

I have a page at my website that I update once things get underway. (My site is down as I write this due to some server maintenance, but it should be back up before long.)

Archer's Resort does a seasonal series of updates that is often pretty useful. Though be careful — sometimes it can be a bit overdone. I've learned to read between the lines, and I appreciate their work a great deal. See http://parchersresort.net/fallcolor.htm. (Note that the current information is from last year and current updates haven't yet started.)

Michael Frye usually posts a few things about the fall season — look for him on social media, especially Facebook, and check his website at michaelfrye.com.

If anyone is in the SF Bay Area, I'm going to be doing book talks on my fall color book at three REI stores over the next few weeks. I'm afraid I don't have access to my calendar on this device, so I'll come back in a bit and update with the information.

Dan

Sep 03, 2016 at 10:24 PM
Fred Amico
• • • • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Sierra fall color?

Thank you both for the info - I really appreciate it.

Sep 04, 2016 at 12:15 AM
gdanmitchell
• • • • • • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Sierra fall color?

By the way, the starting point for fall color information on my website is here: http://www.gdanmitchell.com/equipment-reports-tests-and-commentary/sierra-nevada-fall-color

Dan

Sep 04, 2016 at 08:40 AM
Fred Amico
• • • • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Sierra fall color?

^^ Thanks, Dan. Will keep checking it.

Oops, I get this error message instead:

The page isn’t redirecting properly

Firefox has detected that the server is redirecting the request for this address in a way that will never complete.

This problem can sometimes be caused by disabling or refusing to accept cookies.

Sep 04, 2016 at 02:18 PM
gdanmitchell
• • • • • • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · Sierra fall color?

Fred Amico wrote:
^^ Thanks, Dan. Will keep checking it.

Oops, I get this error message instead:

The page isn’t redirecting properly

Firefox has detected that the server is redirecting the request for this address in a way that will never complete.

This problem can sometimes be caused by disabling or refusing to accept cookies.

My apology for that. Yesterday I encountered a problem with my server and my hosting company recommended a change, one that looked like it might interfere with my site for perhaps 4-5 hours. Nearly 24 hours I'm still having issue and now they are saying 24-48 hours.

I'll get it resolved eventually!

Dan

Sep 04, 2016 at 07:16 PM
Fred Amico
• • • • •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · Sierra fall color?

^^ No problem - thanks for the reply. I'll keep checking the site.

Sep 04, 2016 at 07:23 PM
gdanmitchell
• • • • • • •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · Sierra fall color?

Until things get straightened out the following URL might work temporarily:
http://162.144.28.25/equipment-reports-tests-and-commentary/sierra-nevada-fall-color

Sep 04, 2016 at 09:02 PM
Jim Bau
• • •
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · Sierra fall color?

I was up at South Lake last weekend. There were a few aspens scattered around that had started to change. Really surprised me that they had changed so early. Most of them were above 9000' in the general area of Parchers Resort.

Sep 05, 2016 at 11:31 PM
gdanmitchell
• • • • • • •
p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · Sierra fall color?

For those of you who asked, thanks for your patience. My hosting provider finally appears to have gotten their act together and fixed the major problems on my website — and the Sierra Nevada Fall Color page is now available at the correct URL: http://www.gdanmitchell.com/equipment-reports-tests-and-commentary/sierra-nevada-fall-color

I'll make some minor updates later today. Then I'll be in the Sierra briefly mid-week (going to visit the Ansel Adams Gallery where five of my prints are in a show closing later this week), and this will give me a chance to get a more immediate feel for the early prospects for fall color. I'll be up there again a week later for a longer visit, and I expect to see — and report on — more early signs.

It is typical to start seeing a few of the early indications by now. In fact, I can usually spot them by about the end of August. Sometime in early September we can frequently find a few isolated aspen trees that show just a bit of color, sometimes trees that live in more stressed areas. Last year, after four years of drought, there were more early trees than usual, though the less-stressed trees continued to produce color well into October, providing a very long color season. This year I expect that some of the stressed trees, especially farther south on the east side, will evolve somewhat like last year. I'm hopeful that some of the more northerly trees, where there was more precipitation this year, may move back to a somewhat more familiar color change schedule. (Overall, the onset of color has been gradually shifting a bit earlier.)

San Francisco Bay Area folks might be interested in some book talks that I'm doing at local REI stores in the next few weeks. (Connected with my Sierra Fall color book published by Heyday Press.)

- September 14: 7:00 PM at the Mountain View REI store, Charleston Plaza, 2450 Charleston Rd, Mountain View.
- September 15: 7:00 PM at the San Francisco REI store, 2180 Bryant St., San Francisco.
- September 20: 7:00 PM at the Saratoga REI store, 400 El Paseo de Saratoga, San Jose.

Dan

http://www.gdanmitchell.com/wp-content/uploads/2015/09/NorthLakeAspenGullyColor20150926.jpg

Sep 06, 2016 at 09:51 AM

FM Forums | Trip Location Advice & Meet-ups | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.