New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | General Gear-talk | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2016 · Kirk MPA-2 or RRS MH-01?

la puffin
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Kirk MPA-2 or RRS MH-01?

I made the mistake of buying an "alternative" monopod head with a tilt function. I like the tilt function and on the head I bought, I can adjust the tension on the tilt, so that it can be locked, barely be moved, or be loosened up for easier tilt.

I'm returning the head I bought and was going to get the RRS because of all the great reviews and RRS' reputation. But reading on here, I'm picking up that the RRS is more "all or nothing" with the tilt tension. From the reviews on BH, it seems like the Kirk has adjustable tension on the tilt knob.

Can anyone verify this? If so, is the Kirk as solid as the RRS and generally on the same level reputation wise? I don't want to be worrying about the head. I'm using a Wimberley P40 plate (Arca-Swiss compatible) if it matters.

Thanks

Sep 03, 2016 at 03:08 AM
sjms
• • • • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Kirk MPA-2 or RRS MH-01?

kirk makes no claims on "adjustable tension" capability in their product.

https://www.kirkphoto.com/tripod-monopod-heads/monopod-heads/kirk-mpa-2-monopod-head.html

is the kirk as solid?
yes

the difference is that the kirk does not offer a lever type lock on their clamp assy. they have chosen to keep with the traditional screw type which some prefer.

I have the RRS MH-01

Sep 03, 2016 at 03:42 AM
Abbott Schindl
• • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Kirk MPA-2 or RRS MH-01?

I think you'll find that both Kirk and RRS have top notch reputations and make top notch gear. I've got products from both and am very pleased with them.

While Kirk makes no claims about MPA-2 tension adjustability, they do mention Delrin bearings and their sealed design.

After reading a lot of comments here and elsewhere, I went with the Kirk MPA-2. In addition to hoping for tension adjustment, I just liked their sealed design better than RRS's open one.

The MPA-2 tension is easily adjustable, although it can't be locked down like you can with a ballhead. I'm using mine on a Gitzo 3550 monopod with an EF 500 f/4L (II) and a 5DSR. While tension adjustment isn't lockable, it's definitely more adjustable than just locked/unlocked and I'm very pleased with the Kirk unit.

I also like Kirk's QR clamp mechanism. In fact, now that I've got several Kirk clamps and one RRS lever, I prefer the traditional clamp. Reason: I have both Kirk and RRS plates and the RRS lever's pretty tight with Kirk plates while being perfect with RRS plates. I also have an oddball "AS-compatible" accessory that's too narrow for the RRS lever, but works just fine with Kirk's (and presumably RRS's) traditional clamp. Also, I wish that the RRS lever had more clearance when used with the RRS replacement feet for my EF500 and EF100-400 (II). The 500 in particular is a pretty close fit. In both cases, the lever locks beneath the lens feet and could be easier to work, whereas traditional clamps operate from the sides of these mounts and the mounts never interfere with clamp knob access. Sometimes I wish Acratech's lever-lock plates would fit my RRS gear, as they seem to combine the best of both levers and knobs...

Sep 03, 2016 at 04:29 AM
la puffin
• • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Kirk MPA-2 or RRS MH-01?

Abbott Schindl wrote:
The MPA-2 tension is easily adjustable, although it can't be locked down like you can with a ballhead. I'm using mine on a Gitzo 3550 monopod with an EF 500 f/4L (II) and a 5DSR. While tension adjustment isn't lockable, it's definitely more adjustable than just locked/unlocked and I'm very pleased with the Kirk unit.

I'm not sure I follow you. By "although it can't be locked down like you can with a ballhead", to me, that sounds like it can't be locked down to prevent movement. That doesn't seem right.

The reviews on BH have a number of mentions of variable tension: https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/849711-REG/Kirk_MPA_2_MPA_2_Monopod_Head.html

From Kirk's website: "The MPA-2 has robust locking knob design allowing you to easily operate even while wearing gloves. The design is so strong it holds and locks down 80 lbs of camera and lens gear."

So, the RRS doesn't have variable tension?

I'm as clear as mud

Sep 03, 2016 at 05:56 AM
sjms
• • • • • • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Kirk MPA-2 or RRS MH-01?

"The MPA-2 has robust locking knob design allowing you to easily operate even while wearing gloves. The design is so strong it holds and locks down 80 lbs of camera and lens gear."

that says nothing about variable tension. it does say it will hold 80lbs of photographic stuff and a big honkin' knob to get a grip on to lock it and unlock it

neither the RRS or Kirk have designed in variable tension and stated as such.

as to the sealed costruction. i found that sort of stuff irrelevant in the 8 years I've had the MH-01 the stainless steel and delrin components components exposed have had no effect.

let us say people have a habit of looking for whats not really there. yeah, I can tweak the knob to vary the tension slightly (approx. few deg of arc). heavy camera/lens combo not really happening that well. so in reality not a design feature from Kirk either. so if you get that to move the way you want it and it then decides to slip and go over with you 600 on it you know where the blame game points.

example:
RRS has exposed Stainless and delrin components in this sort of build. it simply works. so Kirk has to be different so it covered up and say we have sealed components.

Acratech makes all their ballhead designs using the same concept of open component build like RRS using essentially on the MH-01 the same SS Delrin and Al alloy materials then says it cleans out easier. where pretty much the rest of the ballhead makers are closed designs using much the same components. I've had the BH55 since it came out and used it a whole lot in varying environments. never had an issue.

clear as mud? yep. but when it comes down to it both designs pretty much do what the manufacturer says. maybe a smidge or two more but unsaid to remain conservative but with these two not less.
I would think if the Kirk had variable tension capability that would be a well advertised feature on their part. you know it would "set them apart from the next most similar one"".

tabletop shot using a Platypod Pro Max plate and a Markins M10 ballhead

Edited on Sep 03, 2016 at 10:44 AM · View previous versions

Sep 03, 2016 at 08:00 AM
jcolwell
• • • • • • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Kirk MPA-2 or RRS MH-01?

I've been using a MH-01 since 2008, mostly with my 500/4L IS and 300/2.8L IS. If it broke, which is very unlikely, or got lost (more likely), I'd buy another MH-01, or maybe a MH-02 if I felt a bit flush.

The MH-01 does have semi-adjustable friction controlled by how tightly you screw down the big knob, but it's not well-controlled, like on a good ball head. OTOH, you really don't need it, as fine adjustments are made by adjusting the vertical attitude of the monopod, not by messing with the head. For example, if you want to shoot a groundscape about six feet in front of you, you adjust the head to about 45 deg down, and then do fine adjustments to the image framing by moving the monopod a bit forwards or backwards.

Sep 03, 2016 at 08:15 AM
sjms
• • • • • • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · Kirk MPA-2 or RRS MH-01?

but again not an advertised designed in "feature". and yes I too would also replace it with the same if lost after I shed a tear or two

it will come down to simply a matter of taste. I prefer the lever too. mine originally came with the screw knob within the week RRS and I did the swap out to the lever.

also I attribute the 0.4oz difference to the use of the lever closure in the RRS it is a touch heavier.
capacity difference? I don't care after about 30 or so pounds. that just gets unfriendly to use well before that.

Sep 03, 2016 at 08:25 AM
Abbott Schindl
• • •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · Kirk MPA-2 or RRS MH-01?

Sorry; I could have been clearer.

On the RRS and Novoflex ballheads I have, the ball tension is adjustable and once adjusted, doesn't change because the ball friction is set independently of the lock.

On the Kirk monopod, there's only one adjustment—basically a knob that sets tension and lock. I find that it's prone to change (usually loosen) if I inadvertently hit it or if I'm doing a lot of altitude changes with my lenses. Usually not a big deal, but until I became aware if it, I was surprised a couple of times when my heavy lens suddenly became a bit awkward to use.

Does that clarify adequately?

Sep 03, 2016 at 11:21 AM
la puffin
• • •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · Kirk MPA-2 or RRS MH-01?

Thanks for all of the info. I really appreciate everyone's time and help.

Sep 05, 2016 at 09:07 PM
la puffin
• • •
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · Kirk MPA-2 or RRS MH-01?

I went with the Kirk. I'm using it with a Sigma 120-300 Sport, which weighs 7.5 lbs. and also with a 400/2.8. I have a Wimberley P40 mounted on the Sigma with three screws - it's not coming off. Should I be looking at a bigger QR clamp to have more surface contact and hold? Kirk makes a 3.18" and new 4.2" clamp (replacing the 4.0"), while the MPA-2 comes with a 2.6" clamp.

Sep 07, 2016 at 01:26 AM
Abbott Schindl
• • •
p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · Kirk MPA-2 or RRS MH-01?

I'm using the standard 2.6" clamp with an EF 500 f/4L + other bits totaling ~8.5 pounds) without problem. I've got a RRS replacement foot on the lens and it's easy to nicely balance the lens on the foot by shifting its position.

Perhaps more important, I suspect that my setup is longer than yours, and length is where I'd expect the longer clamp to possibly provide a benefit.

I'd suggest that you give your setup a try and then decide if you really need a longer clamp. You could also call Kirk and ask; I'm sure they'd give you sound advice.

Sep 07, 2016 at 02:39 AM
sjms
• • • • • • •
p.1 #12 · p.1 #12 · Kirk MPA-2 or RRS MH-01?

there is no need to go to an extreme on those clamps. they are well overbuilt and still attached by a single (really strong) bolt into the base.

the original method of using a MP was simply screwing it into the base of the lens support which is generally a helicoil thread assy secured into the alloy casting.

Edited on Sep 07, 2016 at 08:17 AM · View previous versions

Sep 07, 2016 at 06:09 AM
jcolwell
• • • • • • •
p.1 #13 · p.1 #13 · Kirk MPA-2 or RRS MH-01?

la puffin wrote:
... Should I be looking at a bigger QR clamp to have more surface contact and hold?

You're good to go, with what you have.

Sep 07, 2016 at 07:08 AM
DougCrist

p.1 #14 · p.1 #14 · Kirk MPA-2 or RRS MH-01?

Has anyone compared either of these (Kirk, RRS) to the Pro Media Gear HM1 monopod head?

Dec 30, 2017 at 08:28 PM

FM Forums | General Gear-talk | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.