Home · Register · Software · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username  

  New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist
  

FM Forums | Fuji Forum | Join Upload & Sell

1
       2       3              85       86       end
  

Pre-order: Fujifilm GFX 50S Medium Format body ($6,499)
  
 
Fred Miranda
Offline
Admin
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Pre-order: Fujifilm GFX 50S Medium Format body ($6,499)


Pre-order: Fujifilm GFX 50S Medium Format body ($6,499)
Update: The Fujifilm GFX 50S body, GF 120mm f/4 Macro, GF 32-64mm f/4 and GF 63mm f/2.8 lenses are now available for pre-order!

  1. Fujifilm GFX 50S Medium Format Mirrorless Camera ($6,499)
    B&H Photo | Adorama | CameraQuest

  2. Fujifilm GF 120mm f/4 Macro R LM OIS WR Lens ($2,699)
    B&H Photo | Adorama | CameraQuest

  3. Fujifilm GF 32-64mm f/4 R LM WR Lens ($2,299)
    B&H Photo | Adorama | CameraQuest

  4. Fujifilm GF 63mm f/2.8 R WR Lens ($1,499)
    B&H Photo | Adorama | CameraQuest

_______________________________



Just in time for our new Fuji board!

Fujifilm is back in the Medium Format business. Even though their APS-C digital system is successful, many of us still hoped that a full frame mirrorless camera was somewhere on the company's drawing board. Instead they surprised us all with a very bold move, announcing the development of a medium format body using Sony's 51.4MP sensor, which is four-times the size of their current APS-C sensor. The official announcement by Fuji of the development of the GFX 50S, Fuji's first mirrorless medium format camera, reminds us that this brand - that once had a strong position with film medium format cameras, is back to play in the big leagues.

It uses a similar version of the same 51.4MP sensor used by many companies including Hasselblad H6D-50c, X1D, Pentax 645z and Phase One IQ350. Compared to full frame, this sensor is about 1.7x larger, has a 4x3 format and its lenses have a crop factor of 0.79x.

The camera looks slightly heavier and bigger than the announced Hasselblad X1D mirrorless but it gains in adaptability since it has a focal plane shutter. There is a 26.7mm registration distance and its EVF viewfinder is removable.

Fuji announced the development of six lenses by the end of 2017. The first three lenses will be released at beginning of 2017. They are the GF 63mm F2.8 R WR, a GF32-64mm F4R LM WR and GF 120mm F4 Macro. (~50mm, 25-50mm and 95mm full frame equiv.)
These will be followed by a GF23mm F4 R LM WR and GF110mm F2 in Mid 2017 and a GF45mm F2.8 R WR in late 2017 (~18mm, 85mm and 35mm equiv.)

Fujifilm says its target price for the GFX 50S with 63mm standard prime will be 'well under $10,000'.


























Sep 20, 2016 at 03:34 AM
jhinkey
Offline
• • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Pre-order: Fujifilm GFX 50S Medium Format body ($6,499)


Ooohhh, the landscape photographer in me is very interested if it's not too bulky, not too heavy, and possibly can allow adaptation of other medium format lenses.
Cost, well, that's going to be very interesting how they price it to compete.



Sep 02, 2016 at 05:43 PM
Tariq Gibran
Offline
• • • • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Pre-order: Fujifilm GFX 50S Medium Format body ($6,499)


I'm also interested in it if other MF lenses are adaptable. Sounds like the price might be between 5-6K initially.

This 50MP Sony sensor has been on the market for quite a while already (coming up on three years) and by the time this Fuji hits the market (maybe February 2017 would be my guess), I sort of suspect we will be seeing a higher MP version of this sensor released.



Sep 02, 2016 at 05:58 PM
leighton w
Offline
• • • • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Pre-order: Fujifilm GFX 50S Medium Format body ($6,499)


jhinkey wrote:
Ooohhh, the landscape photographer in me is very interested if it's not too bulky, not too heavy, and possibly can allow adaptation of other medium format lenses.
Cost, well, that's going to be very interesting how they price it to compete.


John if true, I can almost guarantee it will be cheaper than the Hasselblad.



Sep 02, 2016 at 06:00 PM
gdanmitchell
Offline
• • • • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Pre-order: Fujifilm GFX 50S Medium Format body ($6,499)


Tariq Gibran wrote:
I'm also interested in it if other MF lenses are adaptable. Sounds like the price might be between 5-6K initially.

This 50MP Sony sensor has been on the market for quite a while already (coming up on three years) and by the time this Fuji hits the market (maybe February 2017 would be my guess), I sort of suspect we will be seeing a higher MP version of this sensor released.


Before I got a 51MP full frame DSLR the 50MP capability of some of the MF cameras (notably the Pentax 645z) interested me. While understanding objectively that MF can produce higher system resolution than the smaller FF systems with the same MP, given the quality of the FF systems I'm less enthusiastic than I might otherwise be.

Intrigued? Yes. Willing to buy into a whole new system? Not so sure.

Dan



Sep 02, 2016 at 06:09 PM
Tariq Gibran
Offline
• • • • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Pre-order: Fujifilm GFX 50S Medium Format body ($6,499)


gdanmitchell wrote:
Before I got a 51MP full frame DSLR the 50MP capability of some of the MF cameras (notably the Pentax 645z) interested me. While understanding objectively that MF can produce higher system resolution than the smaller FF systems with the same MP, given the quality of the FF systems I'm less enthusiastic than I might otherwise be.

Intrigued? Yes. Willing to buy into a whole new system? Not so sure.

Dan


I agree that the difference in size/IQ is modest with this mini version of medium format compared to FF35 at the moment (but, of course, Fuji does not even compete in FF35 thus this entry). What potentially interests me are two things:

1) Increased competition so that we would have the Pentax 645Z, Hasselblad X1D and now Fuji using the same new format and sensor initially. This would likely ensure future development of this sensor size with the increased competition eventually leading to lower prices, higher IQ, etc.

2) Fuji would bring a lot to the table in this format beyond the simple technical details. Very good profiles, great user interface, good history of long term support though firmware updates, typically great glass, etc.




Sep 02, 2016 at 06:22 PM
naturephoto1
Offline
• • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · Pre-order: Fujifilm GFX 50S Medium Format body ($6,499)


The Fuji, like the Hassleblad sound interesting, but as I have mentioned previously, I am waiting for the rumored Sony A7rIII or A9 with the 70-80 MP sensor. It will be interesting to find out how the Medium Format cameras with the 50 MP compare with the FF 70-80 MP sensor for performance.

Rich



Sep 02, 2016 at 06:29 PM
dasrocket
Offline
• • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · Pre-order: Fujifilm GFX 50S Medium Format body ($6,499)



naturephoto1 wrote:
The Fuji, like the Hassleblad sound interesting, but as I have mentioned previously, I am waiting for the rumored Sony A7rIII or A9 with the 70-80 MP sensor. It will be interesting to find out how the Medium Format cameras with the 50 MP compare with the FF 70-80 MP sensor for performance.

Rich


For one thing, my expectations in DR out of a Sony sensor this size would be very high, compared to that of a 35 FF offering, regardless of resolution.



Sep 02, 2016 at 06:38 PM
taran
Offline
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · Pre-order: Fujifilm GFX 50S Medium Format body ($6,499)


The only way this is exciting is if it has touchscreen, and a rangefinder body. My guess is that Sony won't allow this in order to differentiate its medium format RX when that hits the market next year.


Sep 02, 2016 at 06:49 PM
Tariq Gibran
Offline
• • • • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · Pre-order: Fujifilm GFX 50S Medium Format body ($6,499)


taran wrote:
The only way this is exciting is if it has touchscreen, and a rangefinder body. My guess is that Sony won't allow this in order to differentiate its medium format RX when that hits the market next year.


Sony has no say in the matter. Previously, different, autonomous divisions within Sony (Imaging Products for cameras and the Devices unit for sensors) so it's no like the same division that make the cameras was selling the sensor with conditions attached. Now sensors is a spun-off, autonomous business known as Sony Semiconductor. Fuji, Pentax, Hasselblad, etc. can do whatever they want with the sensors they buy from Sony Semiconductor. Whether or not a touchscreen is used (as it is with the Hasselblad X1D BTW!), is up to Fuji.



Sep 02, 2016 at 07:25 PM
 

Search in Used Dept. 



chez
Online
• • • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · Pre-order: Fujifilm GFX 50S Medium Format body ($6,499)


Tariq Gibran wrote:
Sony has no say in the matter. Previously, different, autonomous divisions within Sony (Imaging Products for cameras and the Devices unit for sensors) so it's no like the same division that make the cameras was selling the sensor with conditions attached. Now sensors is a spun-off, autonomous business known as Sony Semiconductor. Fuji, Pentax, Hasselblad, etc. can do whatever they want with the sensors they buy from Sony Semiconductor. Whether or not a touchscreen is used (as it is with the Hasselblad X1D BTW!), is up to Fuji.


And you know how the innards of Sony divisions function how? I've worked for a company with multiple divisions and each knew about and influenced each other decision making.



Sep 02, 2016 at 07:35 PM
TMaG82
Offline
• • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #12 · p.1 #12 · Pre-order: Fujifilm GFX 50S Medium Format body ($6,499)


naturephoto1 wrote:
The Fuji, like the Hassleblad sound interesting, but as I have mentioned previously, I am waiting for the rumored Sony A7rIII or A9 with the 70-80 MP sensor. It will be interesting to find out how the Medium Format cameras with the 50 MP compare with the FF 70-80 MP sensor for performance.

Rich


Unless they seriously increase the ability of the processor and do something with the write speeds, I'll be cautious in expectations. The a7rII is sluggish at times with "just" a 42mp sensor. Maybe it had to do with overheating, but putting UHS-I on this was a mistake. Slap on some XQD cards and you might have an improvement. But a 70-80MP sensor will have what... 3-4 FPS?



Sep 02, 2016 at 07:46 PM
Lee Saxon
Offline
• • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #13 · p.1 #13 · Pre-order: Fujifilm GFX 50S Medium Format body ($6,499)


naturephoto1 wrote:
The Fuji, like the Hassleblad sound interesting, but as I have mentioned previously, I am waiting for the rumored Sony A7rIII or A9 with the 70-80 MP sensor. It will be interesting to find out how the Medium Format cameras with the 50 MP compare with the FF 70-80 MP sensor for performance.

Rich


There was an SAR rumor not too long ago that those cameras were still coming soon but would mainly be new bodies / body types with existing sensors because of the earthquake damage to Sony's sensor fabs. Partly hope it's true because I have less than zero interest in squeezing so many pixels onto a FF sensor and not being able to shoot above ISO64. On the other hand I doubt EVFs have improved enough in one generation to interest me so I'm probably not the market for these cameras anyway.




Sep 02, 2016 at 07:51 PM
philber
Offline
• • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #14 · p.1 #14 · Pre-order: Fujifilm GFX 50S Medium Format body ($6,499)


By its definition, this "forthcoming Fuji" seems to be closer to the Pentax 645Z than to the Hasselblad X1d. Cheaper, larger, DSLT-type, all this reminds me of the Pentax.
The key question becomes: what could I do with this that I can't with my A7RII? With the Hassy, assuming the maketing promise fits what they actually deliver, the answer is compact size (camera and lenses) for superb IQ. With the Pentax/Fuji, I am not so sure. I didn't buy the Pentax, so, if my take about the Fui is correct, I am probably not up for that one either...



Sep 02, 2016 at 07:54 PM
taran
Offline
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #15 · p.1 #15 · Pre-order: Fujifilm GFX 50S Medium Format body ($6,499)


Tariq Gibran wrote:
Sony has no say in the matter. Previously, different, autonomous divisions within Sony (Imaging Products for cameras and the Devices unit for sensors) so it's no like the same division that make the cameras was selling the sensor with conditions attached. Now sensors is a spun-off, autonomous business known as Sony Semiconductor. Fuji, Pentax, Hasselblad, etc. can do whatever they want with the sensors they buy from Sony Semiconductor. Whether or not a touchscreen is used (as it is with the Hasselblad X1D BTW!), is up to Fuji.


It's 2016 and there is one manufacturer of FF mirrorless cameras (leica not withstanding). An artificial monopoly has been created, and quite frankly, the dream of inventive mirrorless has been completely extinguished by Sony.

Things we will never see in my lifetime because of Sony:

FF mirrorless from anyone other than Sony.
Square format.
Multiple exposure options that rival film.
Xpan format 2*35mm.
Vertical sensor (olympus trip/110 format)
Viewfinder options that include TLR style cameras, or hasselblad style 500 systems with boxlike bodies and an OLED on top.
Multishot systems.
Multilens systems.

The list goes on and on, but if you want to have fun, or be an experimental photographer, essentially you have to shoot film, because Sony doesn't do fun, or allow you to differentiate your product in any way that would make yours superior to their haphazard mileu of ergonomic nightmare cameras.







Sep 02, 2016 at 07:54 PM
Tariq Gibran
Offline
• • • • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #16 · p.1 #16 · Pre-order: Fujifilm GFX 50S Medium Format body ($6,499)


chez wrote:
And you know how the innards of Sony divisions function how? I've worked for a company with multiple divisions and each knew about and influenced each other decision making.


I know that Sony Devices and now Sony Simiconductor does not say to Ricoh/ Pentax something to the effect: "So until you give us the final feature spec of your future, in early stages of development camera/ device, we will not be selling you the 100,000 sensors you want to purchase". That's ridiculous! Furthermore, the example given by Taran was a touch screen feature on a Medium Format camera using this Sony sensor. His example is already proven wrong by the existence of the Hasselblad X1D. All of this is not to say that a sensor might not be sold in the first place. Only that if it is sold, such conditions of sale 99% do not exist in this particular market.



Sep 02, 2016 at 07:57 PM
Tariq Gibran
Offline
• • • • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #17 · p.1 #17 · Pre-order: Fujifilm GFX 50S Medium Format body ($6,499)


taran wrote:
It's 2016 and there is one manufacturer of FF mirrorless cameras (leica not withstanding). An artificial monopoly has been created, and quite frankly, the dream of inventive mirrorless has been completely extinguished by Sony.

Things we will never see in my lifetime because of Sony:

FF mirrorless from anyone other than Sony.
Square format.
Multiple exposure options that rival film.
Xpan format 2*35mm.
Vertical sensor (olympus trip/110 format)
Viewfinder options that include TLR style cameras, or hasselblad style 500 systems with boxlike bodies and an OLED on top.
Multishot systems.
Multilens systems.

The list goes on and on, but if you want to have fun, or be an experimental photographer,
...Show more

Unless you die very soon - which I hope is not the case! - you will at the very least see the first one on your list, a FF mirrorless from someone other than Sony and Leica. The others, maybe, maybe not...but not because of some artificial restriction imposed onto others by Sony. That's conspiracy theory gone wild!




Sep 02, 2016 at 08:03 PM
TheEmrys
Offline
• • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #18 · p.1 #18 · Pre-order: Fujifilm GFX 50S Medium Format body ($6,499)


Wow. Not even sure how to respond. Or what to say. Good luck with your hopeless future in photography? That sort of sounds bad. I would argue, though,that inventive full frame photography is already here, thanks to Sony. Its been around for less than 3 years. Giving up all hope may be premature.

taran wrote:
It's 2016 and there is one manufacturer of FF mirrorless cameras (leica not withstanding). An artificial monopoly has been created, and quite frankly, the dream of inventive mirrorless has been completely extinguished by Sony.

Things we will never see in my lifetime because of Sony:

FF mirrorless from anyone other than Sony.
Square format.
Multiple exposure options that rival film.
Xpan format 2*35mm.
Vertical sensor (olympus trip/110 format)
Viewfinder options that include TLR style cameras, or hasselblad style 500 systems with boxlike bodies and an OLED on top.
Multishot systems.
Multilens systems.

The list goes on and on, but if you want to have fun, or be an experimental photographer,
...Show more



Sep 02, 2016 at 08:06 PM
chez
Online
• • • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #19 · p.1 #19 · Pre-order: Fujifilm GFX 50S Medium Format body ($6,499)


Tariq Gibran wrote:
I know that Sony Devices and now Sony Simiconductor does not say to Ricoh/ Pentax something to the effect: "So until you give us the final feature spec of your future, in early stages of development camera/ device, we will not be selling you the 100,000 sensors you want to purchase". That's ridiculous! Furthermore, the example given by Taran was a touch screen feature on a Medium Format camera using this Sony sensor. His example is already proven wrong by the existence of the Hasselblad X1D. All of this is not to say that a sensor might not be
...Show more

Again...how do you know this? You'd be amazed with the amount of strategic talk that happens between divisions and between companies.



Sep 02, 2016 at 08:31 PM
Tariq Gibran
Offline
• • • • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #20 · p.1 #20 · Pre-order: Fujifilm GFX 50S Medium Format body ($6,499)


chez wrote:
Again...how do you know this? You'd be amazed with the amount of strategic talk that happens between divisions and between companies.


I know this in the example given by Taran because the Hasselblad Xl1D exists. Outside of that, it seems to be common sense but then that's not abundant these days anywhere so who knows.



Sep 02, 2016 at 08:50 PM
1
       2       3              85       86       end






FM Forums | Fuji Forum | Join Upload & Sell

1
       2       3              85       86       end
    
 

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username     Reset password