Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username  

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Alternative Gear & Lenses | Join Upload & Sell

1       2       3              83      
       85       86       end

Pre-order: Fujifilm GFX 50S Medium Format body ($6,499)

Lee Saxon
• • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.84 #1 · p.84 #1 · Pre-order: Fujifilm GFX 50S Medium Format body ($6,499)

Oh good, the 80 Lux wasn't expensive enough. lol

Mar 28, 2017 at 03:45 AM
clmusic
• • •
p.84 #2 · p.84 #2 · Pre-order: Fujifilm GFX 50S Medium Format body ($6,499)

Lee Saxon wrote:
Oh good, the 80 Lux wasn't expensive enough. lol

Which price do you expect for a Leica Summilux medium format lens? (I have one on the B&S, should I withdraw it or double the price )

Mar 28, 2017 at 03:52 AM
Taylor Sherman
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.84 #3 · p.84 #3 · Pre-order: Fujifilm GFX 50S Medium Format body ($6,499)

Wow, that is interesting. So on the GFX it's like a 63/1.1 would be on FF.

Mar 28, 2017 at 04:24 AM
dmward
• • • •
p.84 #4 · p.84 #4 · Pre-order: Fujifilm GFX 50S Medium Format body ($6,499)

This is an image from a shoot yesterday.
Frist chance to use the GFX 50s.
The 32-64 and 120 both showed great resolving power.
I was pleasantly reminded about how shallow the DoF is at F4 or F5.6 with medium format lenses.
I'm normally not a fan of arm pit shots, but Amber was spontaneous and fun.
The lighting is a single strobe in a Mid-sized PLM directly behind the camera.

There are more images but they are NSFW.

I am always disappointed at how much the downsizing and web uploading diminishes image quality.

Mar 28, 2017 at 05:48 AM
suteetat
• • •
p.84 #5 · p.84 #5 · Pre-order: Fujifilm GFX 50S Medium Format body ($6,499)

Thanks to my colleague who graciously agreed to post for me quickly at work today
I adjusted the pictures in PS a bit but did not touch vignette correction at all.

noi 80 lux by Suteetat S, on Flickr
80 [email protected], will try to get some shots at f2, f2.8 later this evening.

noi 50apo by Suteetat S, on Flickr
50/2 apo @f2, vignette is much much less at this distance than at infinity.

Mar 28, 2017 at 09:16 AM
charles.K
• • • • •
p.84 #6 · p.84 #6 · Pre-order: Fujifilm GFX 50S Medium Format body ($6,499)

David, very nice! I would appreciate if you could please attach a link to your other shots

Suteetat, thank you for the test shots! I love the 80 Lux and subtle rendering as my all time favorite lens has been the 75 Lux

Mar 28, 2017 at 09:52 AM
Steve Spencer
• • • • • •
p.84 #7 · p.84 #7 · Pre-order: Fujifilm GFX 50S Medium Format body ($6,499)

Taylor Sherman wrote:
Wow, that is interesting. So on the GFX it's like a 63/1.1 would be on FF.

Actually if you crop it to 4 X 3 or squarer it would be like a 58 f/1 lens, but perhaps more importantly for that lens you could also stop it down a stop, where it starts to sharpen quite nicely and have a very nice 58 f/1.4 equivalent.

Mar 28, 2017 at 11:44 AM
Steve Spencer
• • • • • •
p.84 #8 · p.84 #8 · Pre-order: Fujifilm GFX 50S Medium Format body ($6,499)

suteetat wrote:
Thanks to my colleague who graciously agreed to post for me quickly at work today
I adjusted the pictures in PS a bit but did not touch vignette correction at all.

https://c1.staticflickr.com/3/2892/33567802611_f8650dd903_o.jpgnoi 80 lux by Suteetat S, on Flickr
80 [email protected], will try to get some shots at f2, f2.8 later this evening.

https://c1.staticflickr.com/4/3944/33540727092_df929b219a_o.jpgnoi 50apo by Suteetat S, on Flickr
50/2 apo @f2, vignette is much much less at this distance than at infinity.

Very nice and thanks for all the posts with the different lenses. I am very encouraged. I hope to be able to participate soon. I am just swamped at work right now. If you don't mind my asking, where did you get your Leica M adapter? I still haven't found a place to order one.

Mar 28, 2017 at 11:48 AM
suteetat
• • •
p.84 #9 · p.84 #9 · Pre-order: Fujifilm GFX 50S Medium Format body ($6,499)

Very nice and thanks for all the posts with the different lenses. I am very encouraged. I hope to be able to participate soon. I am just swamped at work right now. If you don't mind my asking, where did you get your Leica M adapter? I still haven't found a place to order one.

I got mine from local camera store here in Bangkok. I assume that you should be able to order it through fotodiox USA.
https://fotodioxpro.com/collections/lens-mount-adapters/gfx

I have to say though that the choice of silver adapter for M to G mount is rather unusual looking (I am being very kind here ). Why could they not just leave it as matted black like the rest of the adapter. Small Leica M lenses on GFX just looked weird to say the least

The good news is that battery last much much longer using manual lens. I took about 400 odd pictures today and battery only went down one bar. I think wiht 120/4 with OIS on, I doubt I would get 400 shots on one battery.

Mar 28, 2017 at 01:44 PM
suteetat
• • •
p.84 #10 · p.84 #10 · Pre-order: Fujifilm GFX 50S Medium Format body ($6,499)

charles.K wrote:
Suteetat, thank you for the test shots! I love the 80 Lux and subtle rendering as my all time favorite lens has been the 75 Lux

Charles, I really like 80R Lux combination with GFX. For A7r ii and to a certain extend, Leica SL, I actually have a slight perference for the R cron 90 but for some reason, 80 Lux just match really well here.

Mar 28, 2017 at 01:47 PM

Search in Used Dept. 

suteetat
• • •
p.84 #11 · p.84 #11 · Pre-order: Fujifilm GFX 50S Medium Format body ($6,499)

Here is a few more pictures after work conveniently while I was waiting for my tennis racket to be restrung
I think I will need to recalibrate the diopter again or else my eye sight is really failing me. I love Konica 60/1.2 but at f1.2, it was really difficult to nail the focus and I am not doing a very good job of it. I guess I really should step down, trying to focus at equavalent to f0.8 something or rather is just too difficult
The first picture is cropped a bit.
noi1 by Suteetat S, on Flickr

This one is uncropped and I did not try to correct vignette at all in post on the Konica.
noi2 by Suteetat S, on Flickr

Contax Zeiss 85/1.2 . It was either f1.2 or 1.4, I can't remember and iso 4000.
noi4 by Suteetat S, on Flickr

Sorry for the last one. I was not happy with any of the 80R Lux this evening but I am not sure when I will have a chance to play with GFX again as I will be away on a trip with no internet for 2 weeks starting this Monday. Anyhow, so this is an example of 80R lux at f2.8.

noi3 by Suteetat S, on Flickr

Mar 28, 2017 at 02:33 PM
clmusic
• • •
p.84 #12 · p.84 #12 · Pre-order: Fujifilm GFX 50S Medium Format body ($6,499)

suteetat wrote:
Charles, I really like 80R Lux combination with GFX. For A7r ii and to a certain extend, Leica SL, I actually have a slight perference for the R cron 90 but for some reason, 80 Lux just match really well here.

Suteetat, thank you for the test shots. Its seems the Lux R 80 still retains its beautiful rendering on the GFX sensor. I am very excited. I cannot afford for an GFX now but I will keep at least three Leica R lenses (Lux 80, 100APO, 180 APO) for this system.

Edited on Mar 28, 2017 at 10:53 PM · View previous versions

Mar 28, 2017 at 03:22 PM
SoulNibbler
• •
p.84 #13 · p.84 #13 · Pre-order: Fujifilm GFX 50S Medium Format body ($6,499)

I guess this is as good a time as any to reiterate my questions about manual focus on the gfx.
Can you magnify outside the center?
What is the maximum magnification?
How does the touch screen play with manual lenses?
How precise is peeking?
Is there picture in picture?
How fast do magnifications happen, is there a noticeable delay?

Thanks

Mar 28, 2017 at 09:45 PM
dmward
• • • •
p.84 #14 · p.84 #14 · Pre-order: Fujifilm GFX 50S Medium Format body ($6,499)

charles.K wrote:
David, very nice! I would appreciate if you could please attach a link to your other shots

Charles

HERE is a gallery with some NSFW processed images.

Both the 32-64 and the 120 were used during the shoot.

Mar 28, 2017 at 10:54 PM
dmward
• • • •
p.84 #15 · p.84 #15 · Pre-order: Fujifilm GFX 50S Medium Format body ($6,499)

SoulNibbler wrote:
I guess this is as good a time as any to reiterate my questions about manual focus on the gfx.
Can you magnify outside the center?
What is the maximum magnification?
How does the touch screen play with manual lenses?
How precise is peeking?
Is there picture in picture?
How fast do magnifications happen, is there a noticeable delay?

Thanks

Manual focus magnification is available by pressing then twisting the rear control wheel.
The manual says up to 16x. I tried it with the Fujinon lenses as well as with the TSE lenses I was testing with a Fotodiox adapter.
The focus point can be moved anywhere on the image and that point is magnified.
The touch screen is independent of the lens attached to the camera and works the same with the manual lenses I was testing via the Fotodiox adapter.
Peaking turns off when magnification is on. At least it does the way I have things setup at the moment. Doesn't mean it won't be included, just that I haven't explored enough to find out how yet.
When I pressed the wheel the magnified window popped up. When I twisted the wheel the magnified window was full frame.
Magnification was instantaneous.

Mar 28, 2017 at 11:04 PM
suteetat
• • •
p.84 #16 · p.84 #16 · Pre-order: Fujifilm GFX 50S Medium Format body ($6,499)

dmward wrote:
Manual focus magnification is available by pressing then twisting the rear control wheel.
The manual says up to 16x. I tried it with the Fujinon lenses as well as with the TSE lenses I was testing with a Fotodiox adapter.
The focus point can be moved anywhere on the image and that point is magnified.
The touch screen is independent of the lens attached to the camera and works the same with the manual lenses I was testing via the Fotodiox adapter.
Peaking turns off when magnification is on. At least it does the way I have things setup at the moment. Doesn't mean
...Show more

Opps, I need to read the manual moore I did not realize that if I turn the wheel, I can get more magnification. Just thought that I stuck at one magnification level as I kept pressing the wheel
Now, this will be much easier for me. Thanks for pointing this out.
On my set up, focus peaking does work in magnifier mode though. But usually at lower magnification level. The higher the magnification, the lesser (to none) peaking, I could see.

Mar 28, 2017 at 11:19 PM
dmward
• • • •
p.84 #17 · p.84 #17 · Pre-order: Fujifilm GFX 50S Medium Format body ($6,499)

Here is an image along with a 100% crop.
I tried to get the crop tool to select a portion of the face that was 4:3 at 1200 pixels. I think the tool selected about 1195.
When I uploaded to my site, the uploader resized it to 1000 pixels. (I forgot that it was set to the smaller pixel count.) Its still a reasonable illustration of detail.

This was shot at F8 with the 32-64 zoom at 64. Even at F8 the depth of focus is narrow. I can't imagine what the 110 F2 will be like wide open.

I spend some time working with the detail tool in Lightroom to arrive at what I think is close to optimal input sharpening for the GFX 50s. I then created an input preset to apply the sharpening when the files are ingested into Lightroom.

Lighting for this was a Buff strobe in a large softbox feathered across in front of the model. Another Buff strobe with a gridded snoot was aimed at her head from the opposite side. That's what is creating the shadows from her hair on her face.

Mar 28, 2017 at 11:32 PM
dmward
• • • •
p.84 #18 · p.84 #18 · Pre-order: Fujifilm GFX 50S Medium Format body ($6,499)

suteetat wrote:
Opps, I need to read the manual moore I did not realize that if I turn the wheel, I can get more magnification. Just thought that I stuck at one magnification level as I kept pressing the wheel
Now, this will be much easier for me. Thanks for pointing this out.
On my set up, focus peaking does work in magnifier mode though. But usually at lower magnification level. The higher the magnification, the lesser (to none) peaking, I could see.

That's probably what is happening. I just wasn't paying attention. I do recall there were some peaking bright spots at the lower magnification.

Now that I've figured out how to get the magnification I'll have to do a more complete test with my Canon TSE lenses.
The quick test I did this morning wide open showed promise. The lenses all cover the frame when centered. Using the shift on the short side will offer a better than square image without minimum fall of in sharpness or vignetting. Using it on the long side problems start within about half the shift travel. Still makes for a reasonable pano.

Mar 28, 2017 at 11:39 PM
suteetat
• • •
p.84 #19 · p.84 #19 · Pre-order: Fujifilm GFX 50S Medium Format body ($6,499)

pigeon by Suteetat S, on Flickr

Here is one with Nikon 70-200/2.8e @200mm. The picture is nothing to talk about but again, just to show how 70-200/2.8e worked. The vignette does not go away completely with vignette+100. This picture, I did not correct for vignette though. Unfortunately with the new E lens, I am stuck at F2.8 and there is no way to adjust that. For G lens, the adapter does have a lever that can control the diaphragm but it is a bit of a guess work as to what aperture you are at unless you are at the widest or narrowest aperture.

Mar 29, 2017 at 12:13 AM
suteetat
• • •
p.84 #20 · p.84 #20 · Pre-order: Fujifilm GFX 50S Medium Format body ($6,499)

http://blog.kasson.com/the-last-word/zony-55-on-a7rii-fuji-63-on-gfx-50s/
Another test that compare GFX resolution with A7r ii.

Mar 29, 2017 at 02:26 AM
       85       86       end

FM Forums | Alternative Gear & Lenses | Join Upload & Sell

85       86       end

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username     Reset password