Home · Register · Software · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username  

  New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist
  

FM Forums | Alternative Gear & Lenses | Join Upload & Sell

1       2       3              52      
53
       54              84       85       end
  

Pre-order: Fujifilm GFX 50S Medium Format body ($6,499)
  
 
Edward Castro
Offline
• • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.53 #1 · p.53 #1 · Pre-order: Fujifilm GFX 50S Medium Format body ($6,499)




flash wrote:
In hindsight it turns out a good thing Fujifilm skipped 35mm. Now they have a system that's much more portable and one with measurably higher image quality. Compelling.

Gordon


Yeah, it's almost like Fuji knew what they where doing huh?



Jan 08, 2017 at 06:22 AM
flash
Offline
• • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.53 #2 · p.53 #2 · Pre-order: Fujifilm GFX 50S Medium Format body ($6,499)


Almost. But we know camera companies too well, don't we.

Gordon



Jan 08, 2017 at 07:44 AM
charles.K
Offline
• • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.53 #3 · p.53 #3 · Pre-order: Fujifilm GFX 50S Medium Format body ($6,499)


Shot comparing the Pentax and GFX







Jan 08, 2017 at 09:49 AM
Lee Saxon
Offline
• • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.53 #4 · p.53 #4 · Pre-order: Fujifilm GFX 50S Medium Format body ($6,499)


Edit: Nitpicky caveat that has to be added to the below is that we still have to call ~0.787x the "true" crop factor between 36x24 and 44x33 - even though the other numbers might be useful for our work - because technically ~0.727x is the crop factor between 32x24 and 44x33 while ~0.818x is the crop factor between 36x24 and 44x29.33.

joakim wrote:
It might not be accurate but to make it simple for myself I just compare the longest sides of the sensors when determining the crop factor so 36/44 is what I use for this sensor compared to FF.


Perhaps it's more accurate in a mathematical sense, but I think comparing diagonals of sensors with different aspect ratios is misleading in a practical sense. More than just making it easier on ourselves, I say comparing the "long side" FoV is more practically meaningful.

Steve Spencer wrote:
That will get you the .82X crop and will work well if you shoot primarily aspect ratios of 3 X 2 and skinnier rectangles. It will be somewhat misleading when you want a squarer aspect ratio, however.


Sure. Easy fix, though. If he's cropping FF35 to 4x3 (cropping the 36x24 sensor to 32x24) he can just do "32/44" instead of "36/44."


Edited on Jan 08, 2017 at 03:31 PM · View previous versions



Jan 08, 2017 at 01:03 PM
Steve Spencer
Offline
• • • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.53 #5 · p.53 #5 · Pre-order: Fujifilm GFX 50S Medium Format body ($6,499)


Lee Saxon wrote:
Perhaps it's more accurate in a mathematical sense, but I think comparing diagonals of sensors with different aspect ratios is misleading in a practical sense. More than just making it easier on ourselves, I say comparing the "long side" FoV is more practically meaningful.

Sure. Easy fix, though. If he's cropping FF35 to 4x3 (cropping the 36x24 sensor to 32x24) he can just do "32/44" instead of "36/44."


Yep, and 32/44 gets you the .73X crop factor. So, for squarer crops it is .73X and for skinnier rectangular crops it is .82X (36/44). The math is pretty simple.



Jan 08, 2017 at 01:28 PM
flash
Offline
• • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.53 #6 · p.53 #6 · Pre-order: Fujifilm GFX 50S Medium Format body ($6,499)


charles.K wrote:
Shot comparing the Pentax and GFX


The equivalent pentax lens is significantly smaller and lighter than the 28-45 shown in your photo Charles. With the 45-85mm Zoom the Pentax weighs 2.4kg. Still heavier than the Fuji film but quite managable. The 45-85 is about 1/2 the volume of the 28-45 shown in the photo.

The photo you showed is the same marketing BS that camera companies love to do. And the same thing DPReview did when they got the smallest set of hands available to hold the Leica SL to make it look bigger than it actually is. If this is an image from Fuji it puts me off the GFX a bit because I react strongly to dishonesty and false pretense.

the lens in that picture (28-45) is equivalent to a 21.5 to 35mm. It also has IS and it's astonisingly sharp, even wide open. Camera and that lens is 3kg. Not that far from a 1DX and 16-35III.

If you add the excellent 45-85 and brilliant 120mm macro you end up with a kit that does from 21.5 to 100mm with a total system weight of 4.75 kg and 5.4kg if you add the 200mm (160 equiv). The Pentax is also a complete system with lenses from 28 to 600mm, including 3 zooms and two macro lenses. It's going to be a couple of years before the Fuji range gets close to the Pentax and in the meantime you can take a lot of images with the Pentax.

It's easy to do a lopsided single image as a comparison but when you compare the overall systems Fuji still has a way to go. yes Fujifilm will catch up but if you need a system today then the Pentax isn't the loser.

Gordon



Jan 08, 2017 at 07:25 PM
joakim
Offline
• • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.53 #7 · p.53 #7 · Pre-order: Fujifilm GFX 50S Medium Format body ($6,499)


Lee and Steve, thanks for the feedback. Adjusting the long side with the ratio is both a straightforward and logic solution.


Jan 08, 2017 at 07:58 PM
HiredArm
Offline

Upload & Sell: Off
p.53 #8 · p.53 #8 · Pre-order: Fujifilm GFX 50S Medium Format body ($6,499)



flash wrote:
The equivalent pentax lens is significantly smaller and lighter than the 28-45 shown in your photo Charles. With the 45-85mm Zoom the Pentax weighs 2.4kg. Still heavier than the Fuji film but quite managable. The 45-85 is about 1/2 the volume of the 28-45 shown in the photo.

The photo you showed is the same marketing BS that camera companies love to do. And the same thing DPReview did when they got the smallest set of hands available to hold the Leica SL to make it look bigger than it actually is. If this is an image from Fuji it puts
...Show more

Neither is an absolute direct comparison and I doubt Charles meant any negative comment towards the 645z.

I believe they chose the 28-45 (22-35 eq) because it's closer in range with the 32-64 (25-51 eq). The 45-85 (35-67 eq) may be a smaller lens but I would venture the 28-45 is closer optically to the Fuji zoom.



Jan 08, 2017 at 08:50 PM
charles.K
Offline
• • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.53 #9 · p.53 #9 · Pre-order: Fujifilm GFX 50S Medium Format body ($6,499)


flash wrote:
The equivalent pentax lens is significantly smaller and lighter than the 28-45 shown in your photo Charles. With the 45-85mm Zoom the Pentax weighs 2.4kg. Still heavier than the Fuji film but quite managable. The 45-85 is about 1/2 the volume of the 28-45 shown in the photo.

The photo you showed is the same marketing BS that camera companies love to do. And the same thing DPReview did when they got the smallest set of hands available to hold the Leica SL to make it look bigger than it actually is. If this is an image from Fuji it puts
...Show more

Gordon, I agree The comparison is purely a shot taken from the FB for interest sake only. The Pentax system is mature and superb in every respect.

Personally for my FF option, I have reverted to a D810/D750 even though the bodies are 2 years old now, for range of lenses available and cost factor. The choices available now are so good, that not always the latest bodies and lenses suit us.

For Fuji it is early days and the evidence will be to see how Fuji introduce the new GFX and lenses.








Jan 08, 2017 at 11:03 PM
Steve Spencer
Offline
• • • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.53 #10 · p.53 #10 · Pre-order: Fujifilm GFX 50S Medium Format body ($6,499)


HiredArm wrote:
Neither is an absolute direct comparison and I doubt Charles meant any negative comment towards the 645z.

I believe they chose the 28-45 (22-35 eq) because it's closer in range with the 32-64 (25-51 eq). The 45-85 (35-67 eq) may be a smaller lens but I would venture the 28-45 is closer optically to the Fuji zoom.


The best comparison would probably be the 63mm on the Fuji and the 55mm on the Pentax, that would be a very close comparison and would show both systems at their smallest.



Jan 08, 2017 at 11:23 PM
 

Search in Used Dept. 



flash
Offline
• • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.53 #11 · p.53 #11 · Pre-order: Fujifilm GFX 50S Medium Format body ($6,499)


HiredArm wrote:
Neither is an absolute direct comparison and I doubt Charles meant any negative comment towards the 645z.

I believe they chose the 28-45 (22-35 eq) because it's closer in range with the 32-64 (25-51 eq). The 45-85 (35-67 eq) may be a smaller lens but I would venture the 28-45 is closer optically to the Fuji zoom.


Charles and I have a history. We've even spoken to each other on the phone. We're cool, I'm sure and Charles knows I respect him.

the Pentax 45-85 is a much better lens than many think. Even a half stop down it's got good edge detail. The 28-45 is special but mostly because it's so good for a wide angle zoom.

My other mini MF system is the Leica S. At f8 the 45-85 is as good as the Leica 30-90 and the 28-45 is better than the Leica zoom when wide open. The Pentax zooms, even the older ones are very good indeed.

Fujinon lenses have always been good. I've used their still lenses since the XPan and broadcast lenses before that. I'm sure the Fuji zoom will be good. Probably very good. It's just going to be a couple of years before it'll have the lenses I want to buy into the system.

Gordon



Jan 09, 2017 at 03:27 AM
nehemiahphoto
Offline
• • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.53 #12 · p.53 #12 · Pre-order: Fujifilm GFX 50S Medium Format body ($6,499)


charles.K wrote:
Gordon, I agree The comparison is purely a shot taken from the FB for interest sake only. The Pentax system is mature and superb in every respect.

Personally for my FF option, I have reverted to a D810/D750 even though the bodies are 2 years old now, for range of lenses available and cost factor. The choices available now are so good, that not always the latest bodies and lenses suit us.

For Fuji it is early days and the evidence will be to see how Fuji introduce the new GFX and lenses.




I am with you Charles--I picked up a D750 and 85 1.4G for about 2k, and partially on your recommendation. Such a capable, consistent and reliable setup, and really exceeds where the a7rii falls short. I am going to pick up a fast 35 for it, and I'll be set.



Jan 09, 2017 at 04:37 AM
Delatant
Online
• •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.53 #13 · p.53 #13 · Pre-order: Fujifilm GFX 50S Medium Format body ($6,499)


I just spent a couple of hours in the Leica store in Miami. I was most interested in their MF (S-series) vs their FF (SL-series) cameras/lenses. I reviewed many large photos there (roughly 24x36 inches). I came away totally impressed with the MF sensor output - the detail is amazing - the MF photos can be immediately picked out when going through a group of mixed FF and MF photos. Leica uses a 37 mp sensor, whereas the GFX will be a 50 mp sensor. I would expect even a greater degree of detail being available. Even though an enthusiast, I would like to use the GFX if it lives up to its initial reviews. I am kinda excited - great time to be living as it relates to cameras/lenses!!


Jan 13, 2017 at 06:31 PM
Edward Castro
Offline
• • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.53 #14 · p.53 #14 · Pre-order: Fujifilm GFX 50S Medium Format body ($6,499)


Looks like Fuji will be making a Hasselblad H mount adapter.


Jan 14, 2017 at 05:09 PM
Steve Spencer
Offline
• • • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.53 #15 · p.53 #15 · Pre-order: Fujifilm GFX 50S Medium Format body ($6,499)


Edward Castro wrote:
Looks like Fuji will be making a Hasselblad H mount adapter.


Where did you see this? I am quite interested because I have two and will be getting some more H mount lenses. On one hand I worried whether Hassy would try to prevent Fuji from making such an adapter. On the other hand, Fuji made the H mount lenses, so maybe there is nothing Hassy can do. So, I would love to see confirmation of whether this is going to happen one way or the other as I might well lean toward the the GFX over the Hassy X1D if I could use H lenses on the GFX. I see leaf shutters as one of the differentiators for miniMF, and for me if I get a miniMF system I want it to be able to shoot leaf shutter lenses.



Jan 14, 2017 at 08:15 PM
joakim
Offline
• • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.53 #16 · p.53 #16 · Pre-order: Fujifilm GFX 50S Medium Format body ($6,499)


They mentioned it on fujirumors.com


Jan 14, 2017 at 08:19 PM
Steve Spencer
Offline
• • • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.53 #17 · p.53 #17 · Pre-order: Fujifilm GFX 50S Medium Format body ($6,499)


joakim wrote:
They mentioned it on fujirumors.com


Thanks, joakim.



Jan 14, 2017 at 08:53 PM
genji
Online
• • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.53 #18 · p.53 #18 · Pre-order: Fujifilm GFX 50S Medium Format body ($6,499)


nehemiahphoto wrote:
I am with you Charles--I picked up a D750 and 85 1.4G for about 2k, and partially on your recommendation. Such a capable, consistent and reliable setup, and really exceeds where the a7rii falls short. I am going to pick up a fast 35 for it, and I'll be set.


"I am going to pick up an XXX, and I'll be set." My ex-wife used to burst out laughing on the (frequent) occasions I would say that about a camera/lens purchase.



Jan 15, 2017 at 12:26 AM
charles.K
Offline
• • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.53 #19 · p.53 #19 · Pre-order: Fujifilm GFX 50S Medium Format body ($6,499)


genji wrote:
"I am going to pick up an XXX, and I'll be set." My ex-wife used to burst out laughing on the (frequent) occasions I would say that about a camera/lens purchase.


There are now many amazing camera systems out there now and way too many choices




Jan 15, 2017 at 12:30 AM
charles.K
Offline
• • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.53 #20 · p.53 #20 · Pre-order: Fujifilm GFX 50S Medium Format body ($6,499)


Deleted as I suspect this size comparison may not be valid

Edited on Jan 15, 2017 at 02:32 AM · View previous versions



Jan 15, 2017 at 12:32 AM
1       2       3              52      
53
       54              84       85       end






FM Forums | Alternative Gear & Lenses | Join Upload & Sell

1       2       3              52      
53
       54              84       85       end
    
 

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username     Reset password